Cuisine from Spain – New Podcast no. 1 – Pantumaca and Olive Oil

[Download MP3]

Welcome to the first podcast from Cuisine from Spain. In this edition we talk about olive oil, we taste different types (Arbequino, Hojiblanca and Picual) and also prepare Pantumaca, which is a very simple and delicious recipe.

Pantumaca’s ingredients are:

Rustic bread (white flour and rye)

2 garlic cloves

2 or 3 very ripe tomatos

Extra virgin olive oil

Cut a garlic clove in half and rub the open side against the toasted bread, then do the same with one of the tomatoes, until some of the pulp and juices have soaked in. Then drizzle on the olive oil. This can also be eaten with other ingredients on top such as Manchego cheese, Iberico ham or smoked Salmon.

Olive oil and traveling:

On the roads of Southern Spain, mainly Andalucia, Castilla la Mancha and Extremadura, you get endless rolling hills full of olive trees. If you like the idea, I would recommend either visiting Jaen province (which is said to have as many olive trees as the whole of Italy) or Cordoba. Another great way to enjoy the olive tree fields is taking the fast train (AVE – http://www.renfe.es/ave) from Madrid down to Cordoba or Seville during the day time, it has breathtaking views!

Related forum topic: Is extra-virgen olive oil too expensive for everyday use?

10 thoughts on “Cuisine from Spain – New Podcast no. 1 – Pantumaca and Olive Oil

1. Marina

These comments were transfered from cuisinefromspain.com:

1. jim woods Says:
    March 20th, 2006 at 12:10 am

Excellent! I have subscribed to the podcast and will look forward to future installments!

2. The Yerbis Says:
    March 21st, 2006 at 4:35 pm

Congratulations for the new podcast Marina!

Your voice is really nice and your recipes are mmmgreaaattt :)

Please keep with this podcast, I am looking forward to reading more!!

All the best in your new way!!

3. Tim Says:
    March 22nd, 2006 at 9:50 am

Yes congratulations. I’ve already learned a whole load about olive oil and that’s just the first podcast!

4. Marina Says:
    March 22nd, 2006 at 10:53 am

Thanks to the three of you for your messages!!!
    I will try to feed you with culture about other Spanish ingredients in future podcasts.
    M.

5. Vincent Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 5:23 pm

oh, is this different from pa amb tomaquet or is just the Spanish name?

6. lee Says:
    March 24th, 2006 at 6:09 pm

hi

Nice first (well kind of) podcast, am in argentina but expecting to be in spain for august (i usually am).

When we are staying in spain, at the place a friend rents, the housekeeper (ascensión) makes a lovely gazpacho, now i know its too early in the year over there for this, but i hope someday soon you will show us a definitive recipe because there are so many. The next time i see her i will remember to learn hers, its a touch more picante, compared to many i have tried.

Anyway well done and suerte!

7. lee Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 1:10 am

oh PS…….

there was a lovely bean caserole dish as well!! And the guy above is right you do have a lovely voice.

8. Jose Leandro Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Hi Marina,

First let me ask, will Cuisine from Spain also be about restaurants in Spain or is it strictly about recipes?

I heard of a restaurant where the paella is supposed to be the absolute most authentic and the absolute best. It’s called El Matandero and it is located in La Albufera about 15 minutes from Valencia. The owner has been making paellas everyday for over 60 years! He is insistent in being authentic, down to the specific wood he uses in his grills, which come from trees he grows himself. I heard about it through a travel documentary on TV that covered Valencia in one episode.

Perhaps you could investigate El Matandero if you find yourself in the Valencia area.

Thanks,

9. Marina Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Lee,

Where abouts is this house?

Gazpacho is one of my favourite things, but you are right, is still to early in the year for that, as you need very ripe tomatos and the weather is still chilly.
    When the moment comes there will surely be a podcast about it!!!

I think the caserole might be "Fabada”, typical from Asturias it has white beans called "Fabes”, chorizo, morcilla, ham… You can check a picture of the one we ate in our recent trip to Asturias clicking in:

10. Marina Says:
    March 25th, 2006 at 6:43 pm

Hola Jose Leandro,

We will cover anything food related. So yes, there will be podcasts from restaurants or tapas bars.

It is possible we will be soon going to Valencia, and Ben is really interested in visiting the Albufera area, so there are good chances that we can podcast from that restaurant. Have you got more details? cause I didn’t find it on Google.

11. lee Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 9:34 pm

hola

the house is called la musclera near Tamariu on the costa brava, its actually quite famous, certain well known and notorious people have stayed there in the past including Al Gore, Winston Churchill, and that guy Blanco who ETA put into orbit back in the 70’s.

It seems my friend may well be renting it for August so it looks like a trip must be planned.

12. Marina Says:
    March 31st, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Lucky you!!! The Costa Brava is beautiful and from what I’ve seen so far, is the best kept portion of the Mediterranean sea in Spain (It reminded me of the Greek Islands, which are like a dream). We will be going very near Tamariu in June for a wedding. My friend that is getting married gave me a list of good restaurants that I have listed in the foro. If you know any good ones please comment them.

The foro link on this thread is:

2. matt

I love the recipes and I look forward to more. Can we get a recipe for Spanish ham and other simple Spanish cooking recipes? I love spanish cooking but I don’t have a lot time to cook a full Spanish meal.

3. Ana

NOTE:

The correct name writted is “Pa amb tomaquet” no “Pantumaca”. Is the same meal but pantumaca is the wrong name writted for the people who don’t know how to write this catalan name.

But the taste is the same, DELICIOUS.

4. Ror

it is NOT “pantumaca” it IS “PA AMB TOMACA”. it is a catalan food, but in madrid they don’t know catalan and they write it how it sounds to them. if you read fast “pa amb tomaca” it sounds like “pantumaca”, because in catalan the “o” of tomaca, when it is not the stressed syllable you pronounce it like “u”.
    see you

5. Ferran Adrià el Bulli

Indeed, it is not "pantumaca”. It is "PA AMB TOMí€QUET” or “PA AMB TOMATA”. In Catalan: “pa” = bread, “amb” = with, “tomí quet” or “tomata” = tomato.

6. ValenciaSon

@Ror and Ferran: With all due respect to your culinary and linguistic expertise, I believe the point in Marina’s recipe posting is to educate her targeted audience on the dish preparation, and not stress the semantic precision local to the origin of said dish. Mr. Bulli and I mean no disrespect to you, ln fact, your reputation precedes you and I would love to sample your cuisine one day, which is my smooth segue to asking, when are you opening a restaurant in the US? ;)

7. Edith

The picture of this simple yet delicious recipe looks SO appetizing – sometimes, less is more!

I bet it makes a wonderful summer snack as well, to be enjoyed with some cool rosé wine ‘al fresco’.

Great to know you’re back, Marina! :-)

8. Pingback: Pa Amb Tomàquet - Catalan Bread with Tomato | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté

Comments are closed.