[Download MP3]

Marina and Ben go for Sunday morning tapas in Madrid, before Marina prepares ‘Pimientos Asados’, roast red peppers, in the kitchen at home.

Pimientos Asados – ingredients for four people:

Three large red peppers

2 cloves of garlic

Extra virgin olive oil

Salt

Preparation

Wash the peppers, rub them in oil and place in an oven dish. Roast them at 200º Centigrade for 40 minutes, until the peppers collapse:

When they have cooled down enough to touch, peel the skin off then tear the peppers into strips, and place these in a bowl. Next, crush the garlic on top, add a pinch or two of salt and pour on a generous quantity of olive oil (the more the better if you want to keep them in the fridge for a few days). Turn the strips carefully until the garlic and oil are well mixed amongst them, and serve alone or on slices of bread.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Cuisine from Spain Podcast no. 2 – Tapas bars and ‘Pimientos Asados’ (Roast Peppers)

1. isabel soria

Bueno creo que vuestra página es super profesional, y las recetas de Marina son la caña de España. Yo como española también me animo a usarlas porque está todo muy bien explicadito y tiene muy buena pinta.

Enhorabuena

2. Marina

These comments were transfered from cuisinefromspain.com:

1. disco Says:
    March 28th, 2006 at 6:01 pm

Have you tried this with sliced soft tomatos and breast of chicken in a fresh backed baguette? My mother-in-law will only use the ‘asadora’ to slowly cook her pimientos.

2. Marina Says:
    March 29th, 2006 at 11:18 am

I haven’t tried that exact combination, but I know they work really well with bread either in a "Bocadillo” (Baguette sandwich) or in "Tostas” (One slice of bread – like the pantumaca below). For example, with tuna or anchovies they are also delicious.

We will definetely try your combination soon. By the way, when you say "Asadora” are you refering to an oven?? or is it fire place???
    Marina.

3. disco Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 9:38 am

The peppers are placed on a flat non stick sauce pan with groves and put on low heat. The pan itself is called the Asadora. Most people have a huge one in the campo and the normal frying pan size ones at home.

4. Elena Montero Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 10:22 am

I have to try the recipy!! It looks delicious! though I don’t think it will be as good as Marina’s.

I have enjoyed the podcast very much, it is really cool. Both parts, the one in Sunday morning tapas, and the other, at Marina and Ben’s home, cooking the roast peppers.

I’m looking forward to listen to more podcast of yours soon

5. Marina Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 11:54 am

Hola Disco,

I saw in the foro that you go to Castilla la Mancha. It is possible that "Asadora” is the name they use around there… cause I’d never heard it. But now I know what you mean. I would call it "Plancha” para sandwiches o tostadas because that is what my mother used it for, and I have to say that she had a big one that used only on weekends in the countryside. I’ve never tried to cook the peppers in there… sounds nice!!!

6. Marina Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Elena, thanks for your comment!
    I believe that if you cook the peppers at some point they will be as delicious as the ones we cooked at home last sunday.

Good luck!

7. The Yerbis Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 12:06 pm

Hi Marina, congrats again for your brand new podcast!

I am getting very hungry with all those delicious recipes… what nice photos!! those roast peppers look so great… mmmm…

Could you send us through the internet some piece of your recipes??!! it is not fair only you and Ben eat it… 🙂 ))

I cook many recipes with roast peppers, but in my opinion, some garlic, the roast peppers, a very good olive oil, a bit of salt and a good bread, is probably the greatest combination where you can get all the flavour and taste of the peppers with more intensity.

I’m looking forward to reading more delicious moments, just a suggestion, could you please try to write some day about "menestra”?? I am not sure if it is "typical spanish” or not , but it is very typical in the north of Spain, Navarra for example, and it is great, with artichoke, green peas, carrots, etc. (and for non-vegetarians, some "jamon iberico”… that can give the recipe a more "spanish” style 😉

8. Marina Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 2:28 pm

Hi Yerbis,

I will definetely be podcasting "Menestra” very soon. I know is very popular in Navarra, but I think the reason is that Navarran veggies are very good. However "Menestra” can be found widely in Spainsh restaurants.

TIP: Delicious tined veggetables from Navarra can be found in delicacy shops. For example: "Pimientos del Piquillo” (Medium red peppers roasted and peled by hand), "Esparragos Blancos” (Thik white asparragus), "Corazones de Alcachofa” (Artichokes centres)

9. Marina Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 2:34 pm

… Sorry!!! I forgot to tell you that for now I can just send you virtual red peppers 🙂
    Anyway, when I came back from work last monday I found out that Ben had eaten most of them!!!

10. deecree Says:
    March 30th, 2006 at 2:46 pm

Even I can do this one!

Thanks Marina.

Can we have a podcast involving sea food? Particularly sea food that Ben find particularly disgusting. I’m sure it will be quite funny.

11. Marina Says:
    March 31st, 2006 at 7:23 am

Ok, I have an idea for that. But apart from Ben, I will be inviting someone that likes "marisco” so we have two different opinons.

3. Ben Post author

This comment was transfered from cuisinefromspain.com

Beth Says:
    April 26th, 2006 at 4:15 am

It must be so cool to live near the Mediterranean Sea. I love seafood, but not spicy food. As an American, do either of you think I would like the Spanish seafood?

4. Terri

from the US…….I made this recipe, but the peppers never "collapsed” as Marina said they would, when ready, so I kept roasting them (at 400 degrees F.–I “googled” the conversion, as suggested by Ben), for about another 30 minutes, waiting for them to collapse, but alas, they never did. They peeled really easily however, but I think they were very overdone, as they just fell apart and were mushy, and it was a mess to try to get the seeds out. They were still delicious , nonetheless!

So…..I just listened to the podcast for a second time, and heard Marina say that you need to pierce the peppers with a fork before roasting. Ah ha! That important bit of info is not in the printed recipe, and it had escaped my memory, and it is probably why my peppers stayed “straight and high up” and never collapsed. Marina, how many times should I pierce each pepper with a fork before roasting?

I LOVE your podcasts, and I’m catching up with all that you have done to date—I look forward to listening to them on my iPod when I’m out exercise walking.

5. Marina

Thanks Terri,

I guess what happened is that the type of peppers that you used is slightly different from the ones that I used, which are fleshy, and more or less the length is double the width of the pepper. I know that for example in England the ones that I find have more or less the same length and width and probably won’t collapse so easily.

I usually pierce each pepper three or four times. But I don’t think that will make a difference in the collapsing fact.

6. Pingback: What are Tapas? Where is the best place for Tapas in Madrid? - Notes from Madrid

Comments are closed.