Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum

Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cuisine from Spain Podcast Comments (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cuisine from Spain 15 - Cordero Asado and Patatas a lo Pobre (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092)

Ben 10th October 2006 07:14 PM

Cuisine from Spain 15 - Cordero Asado and Patatas a lo Pobre
 
Roast lamb and patatas a lo pobre, hmmmm.....

Listen here, comments below!

Brian 11th October 2006 03:24 AM

Lamb is very rare here in the states, but the few times that I've eaten lamb chops in Spain, I recall them being wonderfully tender and quite savoury.

I can't wait to try the Patatas a lo Pobre. They sound quite delicious.

Thank you for the podcast!

Marina 11th October 2006 09:40 AM

You are welcome Brian. We will be waiting to hear your feedback.

catavino 11th October 2006 11:28 AM

One sad fact, it's almost impossible to get Suckling lamb in the states(milk fed only) and here in Spain it's equally as hard to get lamb that is old enough to have tasted anything else!
  1. Suckling lamb(I assume used in the recipe) is Milk fed(nothing else), very rich, and white meat. delicious!
  2. Lamb that most Americans/Brits know is old enough to eat grass and the meat is red with richness from the grass it eats. Bordeaux lamb is often lightly salty due to the salt air, Icelandic lamb too. In Minnesota there are lambs who taste a bit minty due to the pastures they feed in.
Using lamb that is not Milk fed only will give you a totally different experience. If you have a butcher ask them to see if you can order a Milk fed piece(if your not in Spain), it will make this dish much better!

omeyas 11th October 2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina (Post 9633)
You are welcome Brian. We will be waiting to hear your feedback.

Marina, is there a Spanish word for feedback (not in the acoustic sense!) apart from reacción?

Marina 11th October 2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catavino (Post 9648)
One sad fact, it's almost impossible to get Suckling lamb in the states(milk fed only) and here in Spain it's equally as hard to get lamb that is old enough to have tasted anything else!
  1. Suckling lamb(I assume used in the recipe) is Milk fed(nothing else), very rich, and white meat. delicious!
  2. Lamb that most Americans/Brits know is old enough to eat grass and the meat is red with richness from the grass it eats. Bordeaux lamb is often lightly salty due to the salt air, Icelandic lamb too. In Minnesota there are lambs who taste a bit minty due to the pastures they feed in.
Using lamb that is not Milk fed only will give you a totally different experience. If you have a butcher ask them to see if you can order a Milk fed piece(if your not in Spain), it will make this dish much better!

In fact what we had was recental, which is young -between 3 or 4 months- but old enough to have been feed other things appart from milk (I guess hay or alfalfa). However I haved tried this recipie in English older lamb and it works out perfect as well. There are differences in texture and taste but If the meat is good the result will be fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omeyas (Post 9649)
Marina, is there a Spanish word for feedback (not in the acoustic sense!) apart from reacción?

I don't think we have an exact word to translate feedback. I would use "dame tus impresiones" or "dame tu opinión" if I was to ask for someone's feedback.

catavino 11th October 2006 03:25 PM

good to hear! I know the Suckling lamb that you get at the Asador is different and I dont' think that would be a good one to due without suckling lamb. Mainly due to the lack of anything else in the recipe!

omeyas 11th October 2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina (Post 9671)
I don't think we have an exact word to translate feedback. I would use "dame tus impresiones" or "dame tu opinión" if I was to ask for someone's feedback.

Cheers! I didn't think there was, perhaps we'll have to invent one!
Whereas we might say "Judging by the feedback we´ve received", en español, "a juzgar por los opiniones/reacciones que hemos recibido???

Another one is "shallow", you use "poco profundo"

Marina 11th October 2006 07:29 PM

That is exactly the way to say shallow, but I thoought this thread was about food:D:D:D If you have any other spanish questions you can start a thread here.

omeyas 11th October 2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina (Post 9688)
That is exactly the way to say shallow, but I thoought this thread was about food:D:D:D If you have any other spanish questions you can start a thread here.

I´ll consider myself chastised! :blush: I´ll go and stand in the corner.

Simon 9th November 2006 07:45 AM

In the North East of the US, you can buy lamb in the supermarkets, but it's mostly from NZ (so very good!). I don't know about other states, but I do know a couple of farms in mid-NY state that are starting to breed lambs for meat. We just came back from Hamilton, NY, and brought back in pieces a lamb that we'd ordered a few months ago. Seems like someone's trying to get it going as a meat.
We love it as ex-Brits who've spent a lot of time in Australia.

Marina 9th November 2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omeyas (Post 9690)
I´ll consider myself chastised! :blush: I´ll go and stand in the corner.


:D:D:D Sorry Omeyas, somehow I had missed this post.

Marina 9th November 2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 11179)
In the North East of the US, you can buy lamb in the supermarkets, but it's mostly from NZ (so very good!). I don't know about other states, but I do know a couple of farms in mid-NY state that are starting to breed lambs for meat. We just came back from Hamilton, NY, and brought back in pieces a lamb that we'd ordered a few months ago. Seems like someone's trying to get it going as a meat.
We love it as ex-Brits who've spent a lot of time in Australia.

That is good to hear, how did the lamb turn out. Was it good?

PattyN 19th April 2007 03:17 AM

If you are in the US and want to buy lamb raised in the US, you need to look in the autumn. They are born in the spring, and are not ready to butcher until the end of the summer, which is why any lamb you buy here at Easter time is typically from Australia.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.