Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum

Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Admin and News (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Forum Upgrade and changes this week (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6555)

Ben 16th September 2008 09:17 AM

Forum Upgrade and changes this week

At some point this week, maybe today, the forum is going to have a major software upgrade. We will also be changing the 'look and feel' slightly to make it all look a bit more up-to-date.

I'll try and warn you exactly when the downtime will occur, but it should only be a matter of a few hours.

Thanks.

Ben

Ben 16th September 2008 11:11 AM

Update: Forum will be almost certainly be offline this afternoon (any time after 2.30 gmt) for the upgrade, should be back later in the afternoon/early evening.

Cortez 16th September 2008 06:55 PM

I like the extra width we have now :) Is it going to stay like this?

richardksa 16th September 2008 07:48 PM

I found the New Post button at the bottom useful. But it has disappeared.:(

gastephen 16th September 2008 08:40 PM

Nice. Has a cleaner look.

Ben 16th September 2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortez (Post 60974)
I like the extra width we have now :) Is it going to stay like this?

Yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardksa (Post 60979)

Should come back tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gastephen (Post 60982)
Nice. Has a cleaner look.

Great!

There may be a few odd things around, let me know if you spot any!

Ben :)

tad 16th September 2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben (Post 60999)
Yes!

Should come back tomorrow!

Great!

There may be a few odd things around, let me know if you spot any!

Ben :)

OK!

eldeano 19th September 2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardksa (Post 60979)

Still not back. :'(

Ben 19th September 2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldeano (Post 61182)
Still not back. :'(

Sorry, unfortunately it is not going to be able to make a reappearance after all. The reason is as follows. It involves altering one more template. When we upgrade again in the future this means one more template change every time, meaning it takes longer and is more complex. Seeing as we now get someone else to do the software upgrades this means more complication and more potential for problems. I hope you can live with just the original 'new posts' button in the top bar for now!

greytop 19th September 2008 10:32 AM

Is that the same with the old "unread" icons that used to be bright red and stand out, but are now an insipid orange?

ValenciaSon 19th September 2008 11:23 AM

I do miss the older icons as well. They were an easier visual cue. I also thought they were more distinctive since other forums use this software. Maybe for the next rev?

gary 19th September 2008 11:28 AM

Us old guys dont like change... but we'll get used to it. Mrs C's policy is to carry on regardless and tune out the moaning.

Ben 19th September 2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greytop (Post 61186)
Is that the same with the old "unread" icons that used to be bright red and stand out, but are now an insipid orange?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValenciaSon (Post 61194)
I do miss the older icons as well. They were an easier visual cue. I also thought they were more distinctive since other forums use this software. Maybe for the next rev?

Old ones are back - that's easy ;) Do a hard page refresh to see then on the front page.

greytop 19th September 2008 03:20 PM

Thanks Ben - trip to therapist cancelled :)

ValenciaSon 20th September 2008 12:48 AM

I love the new changes and the icons, thanks!;)

ValenciaSon 21st September 2008 03:47 PM

Speaking of change, how about changing the name of the "Rules for Engagement" section to the "Ben Commandments"

gastephen 22nd September 2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValenciaSon (Post 61295)
Speaking of change, how about changing the name of the "Rules for Engagement" section to the "Ben Commandments"

...to be policed by the benforcers?

Beckett 2nd October 2008 09:55 PM

Increase capacity of Private Message inbox

Ben,
Would it be possible for you to increase the capacity of the Private Messages inbox? Double the capacity from 40 messages to 80? Or at least up it to 50?