Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 20th December 2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Neutral
Novato

Default Learning Questions...

I have always wanted to learn Spanish however I have yet to be given such an opportunity. As it goes I do not keep the proper hours to join a class and I do not have the funding to purchase expensive software. That being said I really want to learn Spanish. I can't think of a good reason why however their is something about the culture and the language itself that really draws me.

I know next to nothing about where to start when it comes to learning a language. All I know is that I strongly desire to learn Spanish in any way I can. I have to work in order to help my parents so classes aren't currently an option however I was wondering if anyone on the boards might be able to suggest a book that help to properly introduce me to the language.

I understand that just like any skill it is something that takes time and effort. I am willing to devote both however the one thing I lack is the proper direction. If anyone could help me I would be grateful.
Neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

I started with a "Teach Yourself Spanish" book that had some cassettes with it. You need some input via the ears or you'll get into some bad pronunciation habits early on that may be difficult to shift later. This will give some structure to your learning, often not found on web sites.
Have a look on the usual book sellers and you may even find a second hand copy very cheaply.
Then as you progress you can also use some of the many free web sites such as
wordreference.com - with its user forums this is a great resource
spanish.about.com - collection of articles about Spanish grammar and usage
wikipedia - some excellent grammar pages in there.
notesinspanish.com - for some of the best audio material you'll find

plus many more as the next 20 posts will point out

Finally don't be afraid to ask on here for help from many nationalities going through the same experience plus our great Spanish members with seemingly infinite patience.
Buena suerte
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Neutral
Novato

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the information you've provided and I welcome all the feedback I can get. I will start looking up various bookstores to see if they have similar products and I will make sure that they come with some audio cassettes.
Old 20th December 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
... and I will make sure that they come with some audio cassettes.
More likely CDs these days
Old 20th December 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
clwilco
Novato

Default Learn Spanish

Quote:
I have always wanted to learn Spanish however I have yet to be given such an opportunity. As it goes I do not keep the proper hours to join a class and I do not have the funding to purchase expensive software. That being said I really want to learn Spanish. I can't think of a good reason why however their is something about the culture and the language itself that really draws me.

I know next to nothing about where to start when it comes to learning a language. All I know is that I strongly desire to learn Spanish in any way I can. I have to work in order to help my parents so classes aren't currently an option however I was wondering if anyone on the boards might be able to suggest a book that help to properly introduce me to the language.

I understand that just like any skill it is something that takes time and effort. I am willing to devote both however the one thing I lack is the proper direction. If anyone could help me I would be grateful.
Notes is Spanish podcasts are a good way and here is another web site for starting to learn:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

good studying
CL
clwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Neutral
Novato

Ah! Thank you, that seems quite useful. I didn't know such a site like that existed for free.
Old 21st December 2009, 02:14 AM   #7
tobyo
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilco View Post
Notes is Spanish podcasts are a good way and here is another web site for starting to learn:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

good studying
CL
the only thing with the site quoted is that I couldn't get it to work. when I attempted to watch/listen to a video I got "not available in your area". I haven't looked to see if there is a version for we here in the states. but since folks are posting links to sites, I found this one recently (by someone else here that linked it in another thread):

http://www.spanishdict.com/

and even tho you see "aprender ingles", there are also sections for learning Spanish.

buena suerte! (good luck)
tobyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Neutral
Novato

Thanks everyone. When the money goes through later today I plan on ordering an introductory guide to Spanish. I am sincerely looking forward to it.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:28 AM   #9
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Thanks everyone. When the money goes through later today I plan on ordering an introductory guide to Spanish. I am sincerely looking forward to it.
The first step in a long journey!! Buena suerte - esperamos sus "posts" en español.