Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > Notes in Spanish Advanced podcast comments

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,425
Default Notes in Spanish Podcast no. 41 - Sol, Sexo y Sangria

This week we discuss types of and attitudes to tourism in Spain.

Listen here.

Download the woksheet here.

Last edited by Ben; 1st June 2007 at 09:54 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
This week we discuss types of and attitudes to tourism in Spain.

Listen here.

Download the transcript here.
Thank you for the podcast! It was very interesting to learn about Spanish attitudes to foreign tourists.

It's such a shame there seem to be so very few pristine beaches left in Spain where people could enjoy some tranquility as well as some authentic Spanish food... the latter is caused by the fact that so many tourists are not really interested in Spanish culture or cuisine. They don't know what they are missing! There is nothing like a delicious gazpacho on a hot summer's day in Spain! How can one pass up the chance to splurge on all kinds of delicious seafoods which are almost unaffordable at home? Or pigging out (no pun intended) on jamón ibérico or pata negra? The only thing I will never get used to is the daily eating schedule in Spain... having breakfast in the morning and not eating after 8 o'clock in the evening is too deeply ingrained.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 07:18 AM   #3
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,370
Default

Interesting to see in yesterday's paper that at the meeting in Valencia for the week of the family there was a suggestion that some beaches should be classified as non topless. Not for a total ban, but an alternative for those who prefer it. There are already beaches for naturists/nudists so why not for people who like to keep their clothes on?

Personally I'd let people wear or not wear what they like and ban their dogs, children, jet skis, radios, footballs. Only joking but it does highlight the slippery slope we get on once we start to regulate activities. One man's pet hates are another man's hobbies!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop
Personally I'd let people wear or not wear what they like and ban their dogs, children, jet skis, radios, footballs. Only joking but it does highlight the slippery slope we get on once we start to regulate activities. One man's pet hates are another man's hobbies!
I don't mind the dogs on the beach so much as what they leave behind....



As I've been at the various beaches along the Valencian coast, it seems that many of them have their own personality- some more touristy, some less so, while others are family-friendly, and others not so much. So, I say, find a beach that fits you, and go often!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 04:05 AM   #5
sarralucia
Forero
 
sarralucia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 14
Thumbs up You Rock!

Hi Ben and Marina,

I would like to thank you for the amazing podcasts you've been posting -- I enjoy every single one of them very much. I am a big fan of Notes in Spanish, as I need to work more on my vocabulary and "soul." Your podcasts in Spanish bring the "soul" of the language. For a serios language learner (and a Spanish culture lover), this is priceless.

Congratulations on your admirable work. I really appreciate what you're doing!

Sincerely,

Sarralucia
sarralucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,425
Default

Thanks Sarralucia, that's great to hear. And welcome to the forums!!!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 01:11 PM   #7
obus
Forero
 
obus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Selva Negra
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
Thank you for the podcast! It was very interesting to learn about Spanish attitudes to foreign tourists.

It's such a shame there seem to be so very few pristine beaches left in Spain where people could enjoy some tranquility as well as some authentic Spanish food... the latter is caused by the fact that so many tourists are not really interested in Spanish culture or cuisine. They don't know what they are missing! There is nothing like a delicious gazpacho on a hot summer's day in Spain! How can one pass up the chance to splurge on all kinds of delicious seafoods which are almost unaffordable at home? Or pigging out (no pun intended) on jamón ibérico or pata negra? The only thing I will never get used to is the daily eating schedule in Spain... having breakfast in the morning and not eating after 8 o'clock in the evening is too deeply ingrained.
Hello Edit
that is not really true. There are a lot of nice beach villages in Spain nearly without foreigners but with Spanish tourists. If you go there in June or September you can enjoy empty beaches in combination with quite origninal Spanish culture.
obus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obus
Hello Edit
that is not really true. There are a lot of nice beach villages in Spain nearly without foreigners but with Spanish tourists. If you go there in June or September you can enjoy empty beaches in combination with quite origninal Spanish culture.
Hola Obus,

Could you tell us some more about those places? I'd love to find them. Since I've got no kids who need to go to school, I can travel abroad whenever I want.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Chris M
Forero
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Reino Unido
Posts: 46
Default

I just listened to this podcast and found that I was able to understand casi todo. I don't know if it's because it was slightly easier...or if my Spanish is just getting better...So does indicate that I'm an Advanced Spanish student? I am doing A-level Spanish, but I wasn't sure if A-level was just as advanced as the podcast material.
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 10:52 PM   #10
natalia
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: England
Posts: 60
Default

Interesting and true (about the Americans). I was listening to this in the gym and randomly snorted/laughed lol. I understood about 95%+ of that Yay lol. (i'm doing my AS Level)
natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Mkingsley
MateoenPDX
 
Mkingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11
Default

Yo tuve la mal suerte de irme a Fuengirola en costa del sol. Era como visitar Miami con ingleses en lugar de americanos y creo que Miami tiene mas attracion. Yo vi por todos lados Fish and Chips, Pubs, y comida rapida en el centro. Fortunadamente yo pase solo una hora alla. Todos tienen sus preferencias y lo respeto, pero este turismo no es para mi.
Mkingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.