Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 14th February 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
fawlty
Super Forero

Default El Bulli 'The World's Finest Restaurant'

Never heard of it, but there again I am a bit of a Philistine when it comes to la comida. Anyone been?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rmanently.html
fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Or to put it another way... when was the last time you spent £200 a head for a meal?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
annabwashere
Forero Senior

Not me personally, as I am not a fan of high cuisine. But friends have said it is overrated.

Anyway, the article is wrong. El Bulli is only closing for two years, not permanently, so there's time to get on the waiting list if you so desire.
annabwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:08 PM   #4
MCP
Super Forero

No, from what I understand it's closing for some time, opening for a period of (I think) six months, then shutting for good, and then Ferran Adrià plans to open an academy for the research of advanced cooking.

Of course it was and is expensive...but what's wrong with a bit of high-value experimentation from time to time? I'd have gone if I could afford it.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Yes it was/is regarded as the best restaurant in the world by "those in the know" - it's along the same lines as Heston Blumenthal's "The Fat Duck" in the sense that they are quite scientific about their creations and use odd techniques (often involving liquid nitrogen). I can't say I dine there regularly
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I wonder if the academy will allow the public to sample their academic pursuits.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 04:12 PM   #7
delgado
Mega Forero

Looks like I'll just have to settle for Mugaritz and Arzak then...
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Ben
Hero Forero

In El Pais today he states again that the 'closing' news was misquoted - he's just going to shut temporarily then change it to a 'fundacion' en 2014. I ate in Arzak once, but it's so long ago that I think I was too young (27) to appreicate it!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 04:55 PM   #9
delgado
Mega Forero

Going slightly off topic, the owner of Arzak is actually a really nice guy, he does a lot in the local community here, and often offers free meals as prizes in community events....
I know a guy from the barrio that won a meal there, and after he had finished the owner came over to his table to ask him how it was... The guy (politely and half jokingly) said to him "the food was nice, but I'm still hungry, I would have actually prefered a nice big plate of egg and chips".... The owner said (not in the least bit offended) "fine, wait a second, I´ll see what I can do" and had the chef cook him his egg and chips, which were also very nice, or so I'm told.

As for the food, I can't really say, as I've never eaten there and don't intend to. I guess that we are kind of spoilt here with so many very good restaurants in such a small area, with the food costing a fraction of the price (although still a bit expensive compared to other parts of Spain). "¡es que vamos, yo me conformo con el menú casero pues!"
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
dimonió
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado View Post
Going slightly off topic, the owner of Arzak is actually a really nice guy, he does a lot in the local community here, and often offers free meals as prizes in community events....

There was a really interesting article in the January Spanish edition of Conde Nast Traveler magazine with Juan Mari Arzak pointing out his favourite places in San Sebastian, such as Resaca, Tamboril, Aloña Berri and Bergara ("el mejor bacalao ajoarriero que se puede encontrar").

He sounds a really down to earth guy and says of Adria Ferran - "yo me emociono cuando como lo que cocina Adria, pero también se me saltan las lágrimas con unos huevos fritos con chorizo".

I'm taking a copy of the article when we go to SS in May. Sounds as though it's going to add a good few inches to my waistline!
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 06:20 PM   #11
TotallyKen
Travel Smoothly

Default Where to eat when El Bulli is fully booked

So you can´t afford to eat in El Bulli or get a reservation there ? Not many people can but here is an interesting article from The Times from 2008 about the restaurants in the vicinity of the famed restaurant where the staff from El Bulli like to hang out and dine.

There´s also the restaurant at the El Bulli Hotel in the province of Sevilla.
TotallyKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 06:28 PM   #12
El Salto
Forero

El Salto is the Rolls Royce of restaurants and waterfalls
El Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 10:40 PM   #13
dimonió
Super Forero

Are we going to have to rename this thread now ??

http://www.abc.es/20100426/vivir-via...004261751.html
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Gem
Forero

I ate at Can Roca at Christmas... was a bit creamy, moussey and essence-of for my largely uneducated tastebuds. An experience nonetheless.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote