Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 4th July 2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Lindsayk
Forero Senior

Default Advice for amateur english teaching

Hi, I'm from Maryland and my friend recently introduced me to a Mexican woman who is living here and trying to learn english. She's one of the nicest people I have ever met and I would really like to help her, the problem is I don't know where to start. I've had a conversation with her, and although she's been living in the states for 10 years now, her english is barely advanced beginner. Now I've done tons of intercambios, but I've never tackled working with a beginner, but I feel so inclined to help this woman. She can't afford internet and classes are hard to fit into her schedule because she has to work so much to support her family. Any advice or recommendations for what I should do? I am determined to help her any way I can. Or advice from other people learning english what techniques helped them the most.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lindsayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Uriel
Mega Forero

I bought my boyfriend, who speaks no English, some beginner's books at B&N, and he also has started learning with some CDs. When we go out to eat or drive around we translate the words on the menus and signs. Simply repeating the same greetings and stock phrases until they become something you can build more sentences off of them works, too -- that was one way he has helped me with my Spanish. These things have limited value without real work and effort on the subject's part, of course -- they help, but don't replace studying and doing the homework. I went out and bought some workbooks to actually drill the verbs into my head, and they have really helped me get a basic grasp of Spanish grammar -- maybe that would also help her. Then just talk to her when she gets to that point.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 09:58 PM   #3
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

This would be my advise.

Download utorrent or another torrent portal for free from filehippo.com

Then go to BT Junkie, type in to the search field at the top of the page on the left hand side the name of an English language program (whatever people have recommended, perhaps Michael T's?) click on whichever one you feel is the best option, it will then automatically be saved to whichever torrent program you've installed. Burn off a couple of copies for your friend and then she can learn at her own convenience in the car on the way to work.

Good Luck!

Last edited by mightykaboosh; 4th July 2010 at 10:01 PM.
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Lindsayk
Forero Senior

Or does anyone know any good english learning podcasts?
Lindsayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Cide Hamete Benengeli VII
Super Forero

Default One question and one suggestion

Do you know if she is literate in Spanish? If she isn't, that will limit some of your options.

Try asking her what she'd like to be able to say in English and then teach her a couple of ways to say it. Also, find out if there is a public library that is convenient for her to get to and if she has a library card. There are sure to be resources there for Spanish speakers who want to learn English.

http://www.publiclibraries.com/maryland.htm

You could also put her in contact with CASA
http://www.casademaryland.org/index....d=17&Itemid=36

They operate in the DC area, but may know of free resources that your friend can access close to where she lives.

Last edited by Cide Hamete Benengeli VII; 11th July 2010 at 05:47 AM.
Cide Hamete Benengeli VII is offline   Reply With Quote