Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 13th December 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Location: El estado bello de California, que tiene una gran historia hispánica
Default Any ideas for an anise liqueur?

My Argentinian Spanish teacher speaks of an anise-flavored liqueur that she says she cannot find here iin California. She grows misty-eyed when she speaks of it, yet cannot recall the name. In a world where almost anything is obtainable these days, I am determined to find a bottle of whatever this is for her for Christmas. She describes it as being viscous -- something akin to the Greek ouzo, only better, of course, being of Spanish origin. Any suggestions as to what it might be?
La Vaquera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vaquera View Post
My Argentinian Spanish teacher speaks of an anise-flavored liqueur that she says she cannot find here iin California. She grows misty-eyed when she speaks of it, yet cannot recall the name. In a world where almost anything is obtainable these days, I am determined to find a bottle of whatever this is for her for Christmas. She describes it as being viscous -- something akin to the Greek ouzo, only better, of course, being of Spanish origin. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

¿Pacharán?

There is also Anís : Anís la Asturiana, Anís del mono

Last edited by Pippa; 13th December 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Anis de mono? One of my favourites. Comes in a round bottle with diamond patterns molded into the glass. Red label. Delicious for sipping. Only use a single ice cube or you might just as well be drinking ouzo.

Not being too sure of the silent e I was checking the dictionary and found that a) "Estar hecho un anis" is to be de¡ressed up to the nines and b) "llegar a los anises" is to arrive late.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Thank you both! This gives me something to go on ... I'll be curious to see if our local "BevMo" has these. God knows, if it isn't at Bevmo, it's nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Not being too sure of the silent e I was checking the dictionary and found that a) "Estar hecho un anis" is to be de¡ressed up to the nines and b) "llegar a los anises" is to arrive late.
¡Qué interesante! Me pregunto que es la importancia de "anis" en este sentido.
Old 13th December 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Anis de mono? One of my favourites. Comes in a round bottle with diamond patterns molded into the glass. Red label. Delicious for sipping. Only use a single ice cube or you might just as well be drinking ouzo.

Anis de Chinchón as well!

With the active encouragement of some Spanish "friends", I tried out a selection of anises in a bar, each increasingly seco. I asked the barman if he had anything yet more dry, with a wry smile he suggested "gasolina!" but failed to say which octane rating!

I got my own back when I took my companions for the weak imitation for Indian food available in Madrid. They were gasping for water after eating just a mild biryiani! The devil in me stopped me telling them that water made the burning tastebuds worse and they have some yoghurt (raita) to remove the sting!
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo View Post
The devil in me stopped me telling them that water made the burning tastebuds worse and they have some yoghurt (raita) to remove the sting!
Hmmm, Juanjo, you're a person with a sense of humor after my own heart, I see. . . .

In addition, I found this list on Wikipedia:

In the Spanish Speaking World:
  • Anís del Mono is the trade-mark of a popular anís made in Spain. The name is Spanish for "The Monkey's Anisette." It was first produced in 1904 under the trade-mark name Anís del Juliano or "Julian's Anisette."
  • Anís Najar is a brand produced in Arequípa, Peru since 1854. It is a high quality dry variety with a very high alcohol content (46.2º GL).
  • Chinchón is the designation of a sweet anís popular in certain regions of Spain. It is produced in Chinchón.
  • Cazalla is a dry variety well known in certain regions of Spain.
  • Aguardiente is the Colombian word for this drink.
  • Cartujo is one of the most widely know brands in Latin America. It is made in Venezuela and is usually mixed with juices, yogurt, or simply water. Still, many people prefer to drink it straight. It contains 30 ml of alcohol per litre (30º GL).
  • Anis Mico is the most popular brand of anís produced in Mexico.
  • Anís Gorila is produced in Puerto Rico.
Now I feel like trying them all! Well, maybe all except the gasoline ...
Old 14th December 2009, 12:40 AM   #7
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Now I feel like trying them all! Well, maybe all except the gasoline ...
And you can mix the Anis with Brandy for a Sol y Sombre. I quite like that, but all my friends(!) tell me it's "an old lady's drink".

Last edited by richardksa; 14th December 2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:49 AM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I believe the general classification for all those mentioned is anise escarchado.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 06:32 AM   #9
MCP
Super Forero

Quote:
And you can mix the Anis with Brandy for a Sol y Sombre. I quite like that, but all my friends(!) tell me it's "an old lady's drink".

If it's an old lady's drink, then it's a very lethal one!
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 10:16 AM   #10
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
If it's an old lady's drink, then it's a very lethal one!
Never get in the way of an old lady - especially if she wielding an umbrella and a shopping trolley and the pavement (sidewalk) is narrow!!
Old 14th December 2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Exocet
Forero Senior

Quote:
description of the liquor of anisette:
The liquor of anisette is an alcoholic drink that comes from the distillation of seeds of anisette ( plants that it grows in the whole mediterranean basin, used in medicine, cooks etc for centuries) with some grasses. Of strong flavor when takes dry, ending up producing burn in the throat for their high alcoholic graduation, their blended 45 graduation degrees with other drinks gives a sweet and flavoured with aniseed flavor. Also wastes away blended with water, acquiring a white color and a milky consistency.
I am from Spain and I sometimes drink this liquor, but very little, it is used but usually with the desserts, in the parties etc. there are two types of anisette, the dry one and the candy, it is a drink that at the beginning you will find strange because has great alcoholic graduation, and for another it is very sweet, but you will find it pleasant. In Christmas we takes a lot this liquor, it forms part of our life and our history.

Last edited by Exocet; 14th December 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Kralizec
Ací n'hi han dracs

Exocet, that white dry anisette/water blend is also known as palometa here.

Maybe cazalla?
Absynthe? Tastes somewhat like anisette, very common in the mediterranean coasts...

Last edited by Kralizec; 14th December 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 02:01 PM   #13
Exocet
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
Exocet, that white dry anisette/water blend is also known as palometa here.

Maybe cazalla?
Absynthe? Tastes somewhat like anisette, very common in the mediterranean coasts...
I don't know that blend, it is the first time that I hear of her. Whenever I take anisette I make it without any blend and in very little quantity.
Anyway, the name " Cazalla " sounds me of something....

Last edited by Exocet; 14th December 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 02:21 PM   #14
MCP
Super Forero

Talking about "copas" in general, where in Spain do you think that the biggest ones are poured in bars? There being no culture of optics here, the quantity can differ tremendously, and all for the same price, more or less. Here in Valencia, the amount you get in a cognac is pretty dismal on the whole, whereas up north in Asturias it was practically twice as much. Any more observations on this?
Old 14th December 2009, 04:39 PM   #15
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Quote:
Here in Valencia, the amount you get in a cognac is pretty dismal on the whole, whereas up north in Asturias it was practically twice as much. Any more observations on this?
Mi observación: Prefería estar en Asturias.
Old 14th December 2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Talking about "copas" in general, where in Spain do you think that the biggest ones are poured in bars? There being no culture of optics here, the quantity can differ tremendously, and all for the same price, more or less. Here in Valencia, the amount you get in a cognac is pretty dismal on the whole, whereas up north in Asturias it was practically twice as much. Any more observations on this?
In Asturias, tell the barman to add the ice after pouring the drink- and then compare sizes of tots. (In Andalucia, the tots look massive but that is due to the volume of ice already poured into the glass making the drink itself appear larger by its climbing up the side of the glass.)
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Sounds like a good project for the weekend
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 07:29 PM   #18
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo View Post
In Asturias, tell the barman to add the ice after pouring the drink- and then compare sizes of tots. (In Andalucia, the tots look massive but that is due to the volume of ice already poured into the glass making the drink itself appear larger by its climbing up the side of the glass.)
Hence my observation in post #3 about only one ice cube.
Old 14th December 2009, 07:50 PM   #19
MCP
Super Forero

I prefer these kinds of drinks without ice, in any case.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:38 AM   #20
Culebronchris
Peino canas

In Alicante, in Monforte del Cid, they produce an excellent anis called Anis Tenis.

When the drink is mixed with water and ice, like all the ouzo/raki/whatever the generic is for pernod etc it turns white. So the shorthand for the iced and watered version is una paloma.

I developed a bit of a taste for this as a summer drink so, when I moved to Salamanca I asked for una paloma in a bar. They gave me some sort of giant crisp thing with ensaladilla rusa in it!

The lemon tinged anises are good too. Iced and watered it's un canario
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote