Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 19th February 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
expatsinspain
Forero

Default Is Ryanair Upfront Enough?

At the beginning of September 2009 we decided to go back for a visit to Spain, close to where we used to live in Benijofar.

After searching for the best deals, flight times etc we came up with a morning flight with Ryanair from Liverpool to Alicante.

I`ve flown with Ryanair in the past, but quite a while previous to this particular flight. We`d always found them reliable, at a decent price, and everything seemed `upfront` with their charges.

This is where we were in for some unpleasant surprises.

You have to check in online and print off your boarding pass, for which there is (unbelievably) a charge. If not, there is a big charge to do it at the airport.

Plus they make a charge for EVERY person when paying by credit or debit card, in both directions, and of course there`s no choice, you HAVE to pay by card online. We paid by one debit card. If I remember correctly that added another £20 to our bill.

This is all besides the charges for baggage of course.

What was even more annoying was that when we arrived at the airport we just assumed that having checked in online we`d not have much of a queue to check the luggage in. Wishful thinking!

We didn`t save any time whatsoever.

We, along with hundreds of others, still had to queue to get our bags checked in and weighed. We still had to hand over our passports and boarding pass to be checked. How did we save any time at all by checking in online? The queues were exactly the same length as in former times when we had to check in at the airport instead of online.

We initially just thought that by checking in online we`d turn up at the airport, drop our bags off and make our way through security. No way though.

To me Ryanair displays a great price at first, then when you start to add up all the `extras` you realize how they are making up their money. Poor business practice in my view.
expatsinspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatsinspain View Post

To me Ryanair displays a great price at first, then when you start to add up all the `extras` you realize how they are making up their money. Poor business practice in my view.

"Rip-off Air" strikes again?

I and a few golfing mates, attracted by advertising by "Rip-Off-Air" (you know who I mean) of low fares to Italy, planned to have a few days winter golf in the sunshine.

The basic return fare was a very reasonable £35 or so. BUT when you add

+ charges for debit card payment (even though it is an immediate transfer of funds!)

+ charges each way for personal check-in

+ additional charge each way for each piece of luggage checked

+ exorbitant charges each way for carriage of golf clubs with no guarantee that they will accompany you (a bit tough if you are on a golfing holiday)

+ charges each way for seat selection

+ extra charges if you have red hair and a wooden leg! (OK, I lied about the last but I would nor put it past them!)

As the whole cost came to nearly four times as much as that advertised, "Rip-offAir" was told to go forth and procreate and we took a scheduled airline for the same price but greater reliability of actually getting to our destination with our golf clubs!

When the offer is "too good to be true"- it is just that! Also remember that the policy is "No refunds under ANY circumstances!"

I avoid this airline like the plague!

Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 07:59 PM   #3
csoowon
Forero

I agree. Trying to book a flight right now, and there's something wrong with the online form, so in addition to all the fees they keep adding on I have to make an international call just to book this flight.
csoowon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 12:03 AM   #4
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

Ryan Air is Ryan Air you know what you're getting, it's cheap for a reason I'd use BMI Baby all day long.

However if you're going to use it, get a prepaid master card.

Get one of these: (A nice prepaid mastercard to avoid the fees, this one is free and if you join Quidco you get £7.50 cashback for loading the card, no annual fee) Great for usurping Ryan Air and there ever changing criteria for charges

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/57514...es-free-fairfx

Last edited by mightykaboosh; 20th February 2010 at 12:07 AM.
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 01:54 AM   #5
Pippa
GigaForero

One of the many "lovely" stories about Rip-off Air
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
kenpeace
Super Forero

I hear you, I hear you.

I'm not a fan of RipOffAir but I do sneakily admire the hard nosed profit seeking misrepresenting publicity seeking approach. It's almost funny.

I have flown with them and I have vowed to never repeat the experience. I decided that I will never want a "cheap flight" enough to be willing to endure that process. The queues, the extra charges, the people repacking cases to avoid the surcharges, the staff..... Speaking of the staff, I was chatting to one of the cabin crew one time and when I was told of the employment practices I was amazed. Clearly I'm not going to repeat here - maybe over a beer sometime. I have played in a number of bands over the years and some venues do not pay the group, instead they charge the group for the use of the room in a systems called "pay to play".

On the other hand there is another budget airline that is orange and I have never had a bad experience. I find the process to be easy, the flights on time, OK prices and lovely cabin crew.

I fly regularly with Easyjet between Liverpool and various Spanish cities and recommend them heartily. Not all budget airlines are equal.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
gary
Samuri Forero

flying with the cheapies is a game of cat and mouse - they ALL make it so that the default booking page is opted in to everything and you have to keep a close eye on the final fare before you click to pay.

I agree with Ken - easyjet are amongst the best - they cancelled their services from EMA this year and the transfer of business fro them to an alternative carrier was very smooth and at no cost to me.

Jet2 and BMI are pretty good too I find.

And, at the risk if a tirade of abuse, I have never had any problems (touch wood) with RyanAir. People moan but they keep on flying - if you want frills fly BA, but if you want cheap shorthaul cattleclass you know where to get it - your wallet your choice!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 05:34 PM   #8
MCP
Super Forero

I don't like Ryanair but sometimes, due to cost, nearest airport to destination, etc., it's the best of the bad.

If I'm travelling alone it's okay: I don't really care where I sit and don't particularly need speedy boarding.

With my girlfriend and son, however, it's different: more hassles, more stress. I'm sure others here can confirm this.

So far though, not many big problems. I do agree with the comments here and elsewhere concerning the rip off re online check in, the incredibly arrogant attitude of the Ryanair boss, and the sometimes chaotic pre-boarding scenes of the actual flights themselves.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
expatsinspain
Forero

The best `no-frills` airline I`ve flown with to Spain was Monarch. Just that when we flew last time the timings weren`t what we were wanted.
expatsinspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Lots of "you pays your money you takes your choice" type comments but the fact is that, at busy times, Ryanair isn't particularly cheap.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:28 PM   #11
kenpeace
Super Forero

This was sent around by email last year after the pay as you go toilet story.

It's not mine - I don't know who is the originator.

Old 23rd February 2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Andy.G.
Super Forero

I returned from Tenerife last night and whilst I was waiting near our departure gate to open ( I flew with easyjet) . Ryan Air passengers where about to board their plane to Glasgow, then one of the ryan air crew said that they was going to check everybodys hand luggage and if it did not fit into their check in guide ( which seemed some be smaller than easyjets) , they would have to put in the cargo hold and charge £35.00.
Would it not have been better to check the hand luggage at the same time as the suitcases when they first arrived thus avoiding any unecessary costs to the passengers?
A lot of the hand baggage was filled with presents from the duty free shops etc and although some may have been a little bigger than the guide ( and I stress a little bigger), which was to me quite harsh . The passenger had no choice but to either throw away their purchases or pay the £35.00.
Another thing that gets me is how you checkin your flight.Would not be better that each person was allocated a seat number when checking in and so remove the scrummage at the boarding gate ? When people are traveling with families Im sure it would be better for all if the family was seated together instead of the mother or falther going up and down the isle to check their son or daughter is alright 10 rows further on.
Andy.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 05:48 PM   #13
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G. View Post
Would it not have been better to check the hand luggage at the same time as the suitcases when they first arrived thus avoiding any unecessary costs to the passengers?

Unnecessary costs to passenger = extra income to airline. Cynics might say that's why they do it...

Quote:
Another thing that gets me is how you checkin your flight.Would not be better that each person was allocated a seat number when checking in and so remove the scrummage at the boarding gate ?

I spoke to the easyJet
manager in Barcelona last year and this is one of the areas we discussed. It is perceived that the scrummage method is better at ensuring that all passengers are at the gate on time (thus allowing a quick turnaround) rather than the allocated seats method where passengers amble about and go shopping, not too bothered when they pitch up at the gate.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:01 PM   #14
dimonió
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G. View Post
I returned from Tenerife last night and whilst I was waiting near our departure gate to open ( I flew with easyjet) . Ryan Air passengers where about to board their plane to Glasgow, then one of the ryan air crew said that they was going to check everybodys hand luggage and if it did not fit into their check in guide ( which seemed some be smaller than easyjets) , they would have to put in the cargo hold and charge £35.00.
If you are only carrying hand luggage, you don't go anywhere near the check in desks and so the first time you have to deal with the "helpful" staff is when you are actually at the gate.

Last time I flew Ryanair from Madrid to Palma, the girl got the measuring frame ready, only to see about 30 middleage Mallorquin ladies and their husbands with loads of shopping, arms folded, and looking ready for a fight!! She quietly put the frame away and we were all waved through....
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:39 PM   #15
parubin
el del espejo

I already had my share of trouble with low cost airlines, and I agree, they end up being not so low-cost after all hidden extra charge.

It's been a while now since I only travel with flag-carrier airlines : they still treat their customers accordingly, they have the best slot times, they always use top hub airports, they are way more relayable (meaning if the cancel a flight due to 'technical yet unspecified reasons' they will take care of you untill they put you into the next immediate flight instead of leaving you at your own risk in the middle of nowhere in Morocco waiting for the next plane due in seven days -true stoty with easyjet on flights from Marrakech to Madrid-) all the price they show is upfront, etc.

I mean, it is common sense that if you found a 1 € return flight Albacete - Katmandu chances of unexpected surprises are likely.

My advice, fly British Airways, Iberia, Air France, Lufthansa, etc. and pay what they ask you without hesitation.
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 12:14 AM   #16
WickmanUK
aka Mike

Talking

I'd rather have a flight booked with Ryanair tha BA right now!

You pays your money and you takes your choice! I'm happy to fly Ryanair on a 90 minute flight for an overnight stay (no case to check in) without wife and kids, and where it is convenient for me (I live near Stansted).

If I have to check a case in or travel with family, then I will fly with another carrier. I enjoy travelling with Iberia to Spain.

Last edited by WickmanUK; 24th February 2010 at 12:30 AM.
WickmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 01:51 AM   #17
El Tifón
Forero

Ryanair is not so bad depending on where you need to go... I've flown with them a few times and they've been ok, but let's just say you've got to go real easy on the amount of luggage you have. I once made a connection through Stansted after a transatlantic flight and it was a real headache trying to accommodate the difference in luggage allowance.

I've only flown Easyjet once (London-Bilbao) but they seemed to do things a lot better than Ryanair. Has anyone seen that Ryanair proposal for replacing the usual seats with standing ones?
El Tifón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 02:19 AM   #18
Acosta
Mega Forero

When in Europe I have flown the following cheaper airlines

EasyJet (2006) - Seemed pretty decent, minus the gaggle of kids behind me kicking the back of our seats like they were practicing for a round of penaltly kicks. Madrid -> Paris one Way.

Vueling (2009) - valencia -> Sevilla. Likewise seemed pretty decent. No problems. Good price too.

Meridian (2009) Florence Italy -> Barcelona. No problems, good price.

Mind you my wife and I travel with one bag each of check in lugage and a backpack for for take aboard. We try to travel resonably light.

For the tranatlantic flights between LA and Europe;
BA, Air France, or Luftansa. Mind you I find the airport in Franfurt a strange and oddly organized mess (Flew Luftansa from Paris->Germany->Tunisia round trip).

Unfortunately I no longer enjoy most of the US airlines, they seem like Ryan Air without the price reductions and a touch more rude on top of that. Just my experience.

Last edited by Acosta; 24th February 2010 at 02:22 AM.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:04 AM   #19
gary
Samuri Forero

Lates is that BA are planning to subcontract Ryan Air if theres a flight crew strike - worst of all possible worlds - you pay BA prices and fly cattle class!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:13 AM   #20
kenpeace
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Latest is that BA are planning to subcontract Ryan Air if theres a flight crew strike - worst of all possible worlds - you pay BA prices and fly cattle class!!
That's funny! Actually, that's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
Unfortunately I no longer enjoy most of the US airlines, they seem like Ryan Air without the price reductions and a touch more rude on top of that. Just my experience.
The worst service I ever saw was on an internal US flight on United. Appaling in so many ways. Amazing that the country that prides itself on a service econmony has such awful airlines.

I used to quite enjoy Northwest but now they are part of Delta it's business as usual.