Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 23rd August 2010, 07:10 PM   #1
WickmanUK
aka Mike

Question Cycling Laws in Spain??

Hi

I'm about to go on a week-long cycling tour of Spain following the "Sierras de Gredos y Guadarrama" route from a book "Cycle Touring in Spain". The book was written in 2003, and revised in 2006.

The route is a loop from Madrid, via Navas del Rey, Piedralaves, Burgohondo, Ávila, Segovia and Cercadilla. Much of the early part of the route, from Madrid to Navas del Rey, goes along Autovias, and I'm now in a bit of a panic as I'm hearing that the law has been changed (presumably since the book was published) and it is now illegal to cycle on Autovias, but I can't find any authoritative websites to validate this.

Could anybody confirm what the law actually is, or - better still - send me a link to a website explaining traffic laws in Spain for cyclists.

Many thanks

Mike
WickmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

A new law came into effect towards the end of May. Most of it was about driving and motoring but they did make lights and helmets compulsory for bike riders. There seems to be some allowance within towns but I would be careful round the big cities.
I'm surprised bicycles were ever allowed on motorways (autovia) which as far as I know follow the European rule about slow moving vehicles, mopeds and bikes. Maybe it was just dual carriageways? They have said that where a bike lane exists it should be used, but it certainly gets ignored so far.
If you are not familiar with Spanish roads beware the poor use of indicators and terrible lane discipline at roundabouts.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Juan Carlos
Forero

HI, I give you this link about laws cycle in Spain:
http://www.cjsoto.com/cicloturismo/s...aciclista.html

I am sorry, but I won't dare to traslate in English this site because my English it isn't right
Juan Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Legazpi
Mega Forero

You can get a bus from Madrid to Navas del Rey, which might be a better option (or perhaps your only one). It's been a few years since I drove along the M501 and at the time it was full of roadworks as it was being converted into a motorway. From what I recall it wouldn't make a pleasant ride even if it was legal. AFAIK it doesn't have a bike lane next to it so you'd be on the hard shoulder!
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Pippa
GigaForero

I agree with Legazpi. I do not think it would be a nice ride. And I am not sure where would you take it as the M501 starts in the M40 (which is a motorway). The roadworks have finished, at least as far as Brunete.

If you have a look at via Michelin, it gives you a different route than the M501 to get to Las Navas del Rey
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 07:42 AM   #6
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
HI, I give you this link about laws cycle in Spain:
http://www.cjsoto.com/cicloturismo/s...aciclista.html

I am sorry, but I won't dare to traslate in English this site because my English it isn't right
Warning - these are the old laws, last updated in 2003
Old 24th August 2010, 07:55 AM   #7
WickmanUK
aka Mike

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies all

Juan Carlos's link, although a bit old, does say that cyclists are allowed on autovias except where expresssly prohibited. I can see from Google streetview that some of the roads I was looking to use do prohibit cycling, so I'm now working on alternatives. The M-501 is one of those roads which does prohibit cycling, and so I shall be heading south from Brunete on the M-606 and west to Piedralaves on the M-507. I'll feel a lot happier when I get to Piedralaves and up into the Gredos.

I'm sure I shall come across other issues ahead of and during my ride, though I should be OK as I will have the 'mapas provinciales' with me.

Once I've completed my ride, I shall be writing to the publishers to point out all of the inaccuracies, and to tell them that they shouldn't be selling books which are now so out of date.
WickmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 08:40 AM   #8
greytop
Hero Forero

This guy's BLOG might help. His article is on the original law but they only made minor changes before it came into force.
Old 24th August 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Juan Carlos
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Warning - these are the old laws, last updated in 2003
You are right, but the new law (Reglamento de circulación 2006) it does not affect to the norms of cycle.

http://www.boe.es/aeboe/consultas/ba...E-A-2006-15406
Old 24th August 2010, 07:19 PM   #10
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
You are right, but the new law (Reglamento de circulación 2006) it does not affect to the norms of cycle.

http://www.boe.es/aeboe/consultas/ba...E-A-2006-15406
A new law came into effect this year (May) so the 2006 one is out of date, modified by Ley 18/2009.
That's one of the main problems with the internet - no expiry date on sites!
Most of it was to do with motoring including a new set of penalties.

Read this pamphlet which was widely circulated earlier in the year. I can vouch for the rules being in place as I had a speeding fine under them luckily with no points lost.
Link to DGT site re new law
Official bulletin of State with full story - good luck!

::Afterthought - each autonomous goverment approves the way the law is implemented I believe, but for the first time the fines etc apply across the nation. You might well find local variations on cycling on the footpath or in the gardens in Valencia for example. I've not been able to find a source on the DGT site for the 2010 law as yet.

Last edited by greytop; 24th August 2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: afterthought added, DGT link added, bulletin added
Old 24th August 2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Juan Carlos
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
A new law came into effect this year (May) so the 2006 one is out of date, modified by Ley 18/2009.
That's one of the main problems with the internet - no expiry date on sites!
Most of it was to do with motoring including a new set of penalties.

Read this pamphlet which was widely circulated earlier in the year. I can vouch for the rules being in place as I had a speeding fine under them luckily with no points lost.
Link to DGT site re new law
Official bulletin of State with full story - good luck!

::Afterthought - each autonomous goverment approves the way the law is implemented I believe, but for the first time the fines etc apply across the nation. You might well find local variations on cycling on the footpath or in the gardens in Valencia for example. I've not been able to find a source on the DGT site for the 2010 law as yet.
Siento mi imprecisión en cuanto a la vigencia de la ley y le agradezco esta, pues como se suele decir "las prisas no son buenas".
Pero creo que entramos en una discusión esteril para lo esencial del contenido de la regulación y la información que Wickmanuk pregunta, en concreto contenido de regulación del tráfico sobre las bicicletas. Pues si bien hubo cambios en el reglamento de circulación citado ya, el de 2006 y 2009 no existe en ellos cambios importantes en sobre la cuestión que pregunta Wickmanuk.

Cómo mencioné no hay cambios sustanciales para las bicis en la que regulación del 2006 ni las veo en la del 2009. Salvo el estacionamiento que no es el caso que se pregunta en este post, el cambio normativo que usted menciona lo puede ver aquí:
http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...-2009.html#df7

Si es cierto que es la que entró en vigor en mayo una parte y en unos meses lo hará otra parte que tampoco tiene mucho o nada que ver con las bicis.
DISPOSICIÓN FINAL SÉPTIMA. Entrada en vigor.
La presente Ley entrará en vigor a los seis meses de su publicación en el Boletín Oficial del Estado, salvo los artículos 9.bis 2, 59 bis, 77 y 78, que entrarán en vigor en el plazo de 1 año, y los efectos de esta Ley que sean favorables para el infractor, que entrarán en vigor el día siguiente al de su publicación en el Boletín Oficial del Estado.)

Le agradezco la concreción de la norma, y me disculpo si no he precisado la normativa aunque no fuera esta importante encuanto la cuestión de fondo qe se planteaba.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickmanUK View Post
I'm sure I shall come across other issues ahead of and during my ride, though I should be OK as I will have the 'mapas provinciales' with me.

Once I've completed my ride, I shall be writing to the publishers to point out all of the inaccuracies, and to tell them that they shouldn't be selling books which are now so out of date.
There have been an awful lot of road works in the last few years so it is very difficult to keep up with it, particularly the M501, which they only finished last year. Even with the maps, you are going to find they are out of date.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote