Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 5th January 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
PeterC
Forero

Default NIE + Residencia etc

Hi all - Happy New Year
I was catching up on back Podcasts whilst driving to my first job after the holiday break, one I listened to was a bit confusing, 'Nº43 Moving to Spain'.
Ben stated that his NIE had a photograph, thumb print plus other information. This sounds more like the ID card that is issued after you have been through the residencia procedure and an ID card is issued.
I must state at this point, although I have owned property on Spain for over twenty years, I am not a resident and don't intend to become one, for various reasons. I have been issued with a health card etc, so have found that the residencia procedure is unescsesary in my case. In the near future, European citizens will not have to become residents.

Getting back to the NIE. In these parts, a NIE is an A4 piece of paper, with your name, your number which stays with you for ever, and the place that it was issued and the date. It never expires.

I had to obtain a NIE years ago to have a telephone account and register my scooter, in those days I also had to produce an escritura or rental agreement. Now-a-days, your townhall registration is acceptable, if it is up to date. I purchased my last car in Granada a few months ago, at first they would not accept my NIE, as it was 'out of date', I pointed that NIE's do not expire and this was accepted, however my townhall registration was three years old and a new one had to be obtained. Here in Andalucia, the strictness of the requirements seem to vary from Province to Province, I have had dealings with three, Malaga - easy, Granada - ok, Cordoba difficult.

I had a loan when I purchased my last car, as a non resident, this would have been impossible a few years ago.

Incidently for ID purposes, I use my Euro (British) driving licence, I travel (fly) a lot in Spain & Portugal and have never been asked to produce my passport.

My passport expired recently, I downloaded an application form from WWW and sent it off to Madrid, I received the new passport in five days, rather faster that the UK.

Sorry about my spelling etc, but I am not quite with it, as I am suffering the tale end of a does of flue, so keep a safe distance from this message.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
as I am suffering the tale end of a does of flue,
With spelling like that, you have got it bad! I thought most moved to Spain for the healthier lifestyle. Everyone I have talked to from there lately, is complaining of colds and flu!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero

My NIE is the size of a credit card, and expires every 10 years (I think!)
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 10:09 AM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Peter you're correct. The NIE = Numero de Identificacion de Extranjeros just gives you a number that is needed to do anything of any importance to do with Spanish bureaucracy. It has the form A123456B. You obtain it from a department of the Comisaria de Policia
The Tarjeta de Residencia is the small plastic card with photo and fingerprint that is issued when you are granted residence. Better check Ben - mine only lasts for 5 years! It is certainly very useful if you live here permanently and saves having to carry a passport all the time. Residence also has some tax advantages if you sell and buy a house. Other forms of proof of ID may be acceptable if they have a photo on them (such as UK drivers licence)
My perspective is that of a (UK) retired person so there may be other reasons to obtain residence if you work here, have children or come from outside the EU etc.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Culebronchris
Peino canas

I thought it would be nice to have a Residencia so that I didn't have to carry around my passport all the time.

I went to the nearest National Police Station for 8am in the morning to get my ticket for the queue. Then I went away for two hours till the office opened at 10am. That's when I checked how many people there were in front of me in the queue before it was my turn. You can't work it out from your ticket number as you never know how many people with tickets from the day before didn't get served. I seem to remember I was about number 45 so working on two clerks and 10 minutes a go I thought I may just get in before the office closed at 2pm which is eactly what happened.

I got to the front, said I wanted a Residencia, the woman on the desk said "Don't be daft, we've got thousands of Equatorians, Morrocans, Armenians, Ucranians etc. who need a Residencia to survive here, you're an EU citizen, you can do everything you need to do in Spain with your bit of A4 paper NIE. Go away." So I did.

But I'd got it into my head that I wanted a Residencia so I went to a solicitor to get him to do the paperwork. Solicitors always know someone in the various offices - they have enchufes - and for 100€ he sorted the paperwork for me. I went in maybe March last year, in November I got a piece of paper to say I'd had Resident status from October but my appointment to get my fingerprints taken etc isn't till May this year. I'm told that the procedure is to be there for 7 in the morning to get a ticket for the office that opens at 10am.

It was on the news the other day that the Spanish authorities are no longer going to ask for so many photocopies of DNIs, NIEs etc in their routine procedures where they already have the number logged. I think they said this would save 40 million photocopies per year. It won't stop me taking 5 copies of every piece of official paper to any appointment I have with anyone - yo no soy tonto. There is always one last piece of paper needed here and a suitcase full of birth certificates, padrones, passport copies, escrituras etc can save miles of travel after hours of queuing

By the way when I got my UK passport pinched the Consulate in Madrid took ages to reissue another passport and charged me a fortune. Next time it happens I'm going to fly to the UK, stay in a hotel, stand in a queue at a passport office, buy the passport and fly home to save time and money!

Last edited by Culebronchris; 6th January 2007 at 12:58 PM.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 06:27 PM   #6
PeterC
Forero

[quote=greytop;14740]Peter you're correct. The NIE = Numero de Identificacion de Extranjeros just gives you a number that is needed to do anything of any importance to do with Spanish bureaucracy. It has the form A123456B. You obtain it from a department of the Comisaria de Policia

Yep
What I really meant to say, (but got carried away under the influence of hot toddies), is that the NIE (the actual number), is a must have, but residencia is an optional extra, soon to be done away with it you are a Euro citizen. I assume that your NIE number appears on the residencia as it does on the health card.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 10:26 PM   #7
rob
maño

Well I needed a NIE so I could get paid and the woman said I wanted a card too, which I didn't really, but I thought since I'd like to experience every part of SPanish culture, I'd really get into the ridiculous bureaucracy you have to go through to get the card.

My enthusiasm to get into Spanish culture has waned somewhat following that experience

First of all, I had to go to the Ayuntamiento to get my Empadronamiento, I only found out I needed this having been to the Oficina de Extranjeros and queuing for an hour before being told I needed to have proof that I lived in Spain.

Thus I went and got my Empadronamiento which was very simple and straight forward, and I went back to the Oficina de Extranjeros but because I was starting work at 10.30 I couldn't stay long enough to get past the queue so I went the Monday after since I have Mondays off. Fortunately, the next time I went I got my NIE which is what I really needed, although i didn't realise this at the time, if I had I could have avoided all of this but my instructions and guidance was unclear, pero bueno.

About 4 weeks after applying for the Tarjeta Comunitaria, I got a letter saying I had to go to the Comisaría to get my card. I got my photocopies, photos and all the things I needed, expecting that I would be leaving the Comisaría with a nice identity card of the type I can soon look forward to in the UK. How wrong I was. I first of all queued to get to the man who gave me a form and told me I had to go and pay €6 at a bank, any bank, anywhere, just not in the Comisaría itself. So I go to the bank and pay and come back and go into the room and wait a little until I am called to the desk. At this point, I still expect I will be able to walk out with my new shiny card.

It was not to be. I had my details taken yet again and my fingerprint taken and then i was told to come back in 40 days to collect my card!

I started this process in the first week of October and I am still yet to recieve this card.

I am fortunate in that I don't really need it, however due to my own stupidity I have suffered through the process nonetheless.

Thank god I live in the EU though, the queues for people outside of the EU are horrendous, but EU citizens get to bypass them so it was always a buoy to go straight to the front of the queue.

Anyway, a long winded post about nothing, enjoy!
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 11:00 PM   #8
greytop
Hero Forero

And if you move you go through it again. We queued for 1.5 hours only to be told to go away as we had not changed towns! I went home and stuck the new address on front of the card and so far no-one has commented when I've used it I'm really looking forward to renewal next year.

Rob your office seems to work much better than some over here on the east coast - many immigrants are queuing for days to get the papers they need to work due to the large numbers employed in the farming and construction industries.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote