Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 17th September 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Open Question 2 - Why Spain?

The first open question about reasons for learning Spanish has had some wonderful responses, so I thought it might be interesting to ask a similar question about Spain...

What first brought you to Spain? What kept you coming back? Why do you love it so much? What's special about the country?

Share your Spain story here!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
La Pueblerina
Forero

I grew up in Madrid so I am completely biased I love the sense of family, my friends, the food, and the culture. Spain is very welcoming and no matter how long since my last visit it feels like it was yesterday. My kids go every summer to Spain and love it!
La Pueblerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 08:21 PM   #3
angeltreats
Forero

My first time in Spain was aged 14 when I went along with the rest of my class on an exchange trip to Granada. It was my first time outside the UK and I fell in love with Spain as soon as we landed in Malaga airport. My host family were lovely, the teachers at the school we went to were so nice to us, people in shops treated us like royalty, our pitiful attempt to understand the granadino accent were appreciated and I think I just had such a fantastic experience that it's stayed with me ever since. I've been to other parts of Spain since then and no matter how short the trip, I've never wanted to come home at the end of it! I haven't been since summer 2006 but am having withdrawal symptoms and am hoping to get back over early next year, perhaps to Madrid this time.
angeltreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
What first brought you to Spain? What kept you coming back? Why do you love it so much? What's special about the country?
It's very hard to explain really - I love Mediterranean countries in general, but Spain has always been special to me. I always wanted to go there when I was a kid but my father didn't because he couldn't tolerate the hot sun like my mother and I.

I first went to Spain with a friend in 1981, which was quite a revelation because we traveled to places which weren't frequented by tourists in those days, like Burgos and Madrid. It was like discovering a whole new world.

The Spanish language is important to me, and not just because it sounds so great. Italian is beautiful too, but it hasn't got over 400 million native speakers!

There is something about Spanish living spaces, especially in the southern part of the country, which absolutely fascinates me. Think patios, azulejos, potted plants, and hand-forged wrought iron. Spanish people have got a sense of beauty and simplicity which appeals to my own tastes.

Last edited by Edith; 17th September 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 09:44 PM   #5
ZeroTX
Texan

Never been... would like to go one day. Airfare to Europe is expensive and it ain't exactly cheap once you're there, either
ZeroTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Spaniards go to bed too late. Spaniards seem to like food but it isn't about beetroot drizzle or going to the right restaurant - it's about getting out with pals or family and fuelling up in a pleasant way. Spaniards don't mind work but it doesn't seem to drive their lives. Spaniards drive really slowly in cities. Spain was exotic without being alien. On my first ever trip without a word of Spanish everyone seemed to have the time and patience to help me out. There's always something new to gawp at in Spain.

I liked all of those things so I came to live here and there is still something new and different every day. It was a good decision.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 11:48 PM   #7
Pauloitis
Tienes Play3!?!

Well.........

When i was working in England a gorgeous girl suddenly appeared from no-where and kept coming in work daily (customer), we exchanged smiles a few times but nothing more, then one day i was on a week holiday when my work colleague rang me up saying a girl left me her number, anyway this girl was my current Girlfriend now and is from Spain, she was working in England to learn English, so we was seeing each other for 3 months or so then she was due to move back to Spain because her english experience had finished, but these three month changed my life, i fell in love and she did aswell, she went back home for 2 weeks and then cam back to live with me, rushed you . may think but it has all turned out to be the best thing ever happened.

Me and my GF rented a flat together and lived in England for 7 months but she was missing home too much (close families)and i hated to see her upset so i said, lets do it, move to Spain, although i didnt know ANY SPANISH except for hola we both flew to Spain to live, we was determined to make this work and one year and a bit later and 2 years into our relationship we are living in Spain and have got a mortgage so everything is going great.

I am in the northern spain and it is amazing and very beautiful, there are mountains and beaches very close yet its not the sweltering heat as always, i have never even thought about going back to England to live.

I could start saying about the bad times i have/had coming here with no spanish but as everyone says to me, 'poco a poco'.

Pauloitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post
Spaniards seem to like food but it isn't about beetroot drizzle or going to the right restaurant
Beetroot drizzle - LOL

I'll stick with the croquetas and the jamón ibérico!
Old 17th September 2007, 11:54 PM   #9
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Why Spain? Aside from my father coming from there and me living there as a child, I'll tell you why Spain.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 12:01 AM   #10
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Why Spain? Aside from my father coming from there and me living there as a child, I'll tell you why Spain.
The garlic odor coming from that dish is wafting up my nostrils right now!

Great with a good, strong Rioja and some fresh baguette...
Old 18th September 2007, 01:21 AM   #11
La Pueblerina
Forero

Que bueno!
La Pueblerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Here goes!

I first visited Spain in the Summer of ´89 as a University student. From that moment, I knew that I had to go back as much as possible. As my wife is from Spain (we met at our University in the US, go figure!), we have returned often because of family, and new we have decided to live here.

What´s special about Spain? Other than the obvious culinary delights, the Spanish people are really wonderful folks once you get to know them.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Viajero26
Forero

That's a question I've often asked myself. I took several years of classes and always loved the Spanish language, so the country has certain appeal and accessibility to me on that level.
But what's more, I think, is that I've always seen Spain as a country that knows who it is. Crossovers from different cultures and adapting to the climate of the peninsula has created a unique, durable culture, and those who belong to it have no doubts about who they are. I admire that and part of me wants to be a part of it in any way that I can.
Viajero26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 04:42 PM   #14
cliftonjan
Forero

Good question! I fell in love with the idea of Spain when I was about 7 and my mum was following a BBC language course called "Vamos a ver " on the TV.I remember the storyline even now and from then on I wished I could be Spanish and could be Juanita instead of Jan!
When I was a teenager, my great aunt and uncle moved to Calpe. This was back in the seventies when the place was still relatively unspoilt and new to foreign tourism. My relatives learned Spanish and had integrated into the local community. The man who they bought the land off to build their villa owned the mountainside and was obviously sitting on a goldmine but he still went off to work on his donkey and his wife used to bring food up for us to try. The naturalness and generosity of spirit added to my love for the country and the people.
My Spanish dream had to take a back seat while I got on with the job of making a living etc but when I met Simon, now my husband, it turned out that he had always thought he would like to live in Spain too. It took us a few years to pluck up the courage to uproot and we moved lock, stock and cat to near Cadiz. Strangely enough another BBc programme played a big part in where we ended up living . We had seen a programme quite a few years ago in which Robert Elms visited Cadiz and we always remembered being struck by the Atlantic coastline and the views from Cadiz so we came here 2 years ago to experience it for ourselves....
So my childhood dream and all those birthday candle wishes came true in the end and I can say the reality is even better than the dream!
cliftonjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 04:49 PM   #15
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Great story, Juanita. Glad to see you remembered the cat.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 09:07 PM   #16
keithclove
Forero

My company sold some equipment to a company in Spain, and at the last minute I went along with the installation team. That was in 1988. Even though it was never planned for me to go there, I probably made at least nine trips to Spain as part of that project. I ended up marrying a Madrileña, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have since fallen in love with the country. We go there at least once/year, and our children are completely fluent in both languages – I am the one who still struggles with it, after spending my high school years trying to learn German.

My relationship with Notes from Spain started when I first began listening to podcasts and went looking for topics of interest. I searched for “Travel” and “Spain”, and your podcast was near the top. Having spent so much time in Spain over the years much of it was familiar, and it helped spark my further interest in all things Spanish.

What makes Spain special? Many things already mentioned, but one that needs to be emphasized: nowhere else have I experienced the type of willingness to give that I have in Spain. On our most recent trip, we were trying to find a certain landmark in Oviedo. We stopped a lady obviously on her way home from shopping, arms loaded with bags, and asked her if we were headed in the right direction. She not only told us where we needed to go, but completely abandoned her route to take us there, making sure we found it. I have many stories like this one from over the years (many more dramatic than this one), and continue to be amazed by the generous nature of the average Spaniard.
keithclove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 04:48 PM   #17
djS
4 Doors of Madrid

Well my story starts off in the 80s when i went to Usa for a summer with $400.00 in my back pocket to my Aunts and uncle house by the Beach , will was up out bed every morrninig , picking up soda cans and getting 5 cents back on them , with in 2 weeks i was portoling the beack and parks for this cans and make a good $40 - $60 a day , hand my new wealth to my annt to keep safe . by the end off the summer i had few dollers so my aunt sent it home for me , Next summer i was back again in NYC LongIsland now i had been to Spain few time and alwas like it there , from the Baleares , Canarias at age off 3 , Madrid , Cataluna , Velencia
Alicante , Castilla Y Leon , Andalusia and More as young age i know how to work and still do but have to two company in spain , one in bars and one in Music i travel alot from Spain to Ireland , England but still love Spain

I tryed the Usa thing again in the 1999 and live there few years and just got out . 1. Thinks where getting hard with the WTC bombings
2. just the people there didnt like it , to fast you need a car every where ,
Lived in Fl , so it was time to move back to Eu where i know every one

this what spain all about

Spanish town and city containing all the information about Spain you need to know as well as about Spanish cities, Spanish towns and travel in Spain in each Spanish city from tourist activities in each Spanish city, to buying property in each Spanish city and renting a car at Spanish airports or in Spanish cities, and much more. Spanish cities, Spanish towns, Spanish food, Spanish traditions, facts about Spain; it´s all here.
ITS SPAIN

Some day i will call it home just nice Grilfreind and few kids

Last edited by djS; 22nd September 2007 at 05:17 PM.
djS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 04:16 AM   #18
djS
4 Doors of Madrid

add to this was in Tenerife few year ago and my hotel was borken in to , but my disc mini was left why you ask ? . Full off spanish music that why . pasport cards and so on where left aswell next door was cleaned out
think the robers thought we where from spain as my bank was from spain ... lacaixa bank that grilfreind was more in to brinking her pasport and so on
.... yes i left every thing there

new show coming soon sunday dance athems . soon
now on kiss fm
djS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:39 AM   #19
eldeano
He's the most tip top

A Jurdy classic.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

Default why i love spain

i first went to Argentina (buenos Aires) in the year 2000 and fell in love with the spanish language and the people there. i then went to Benidorm ....wait..... with my parents and brother in 2001 and i went off and found some real spanish type bars hidden away from the red lion with the picture of the dogs playing pool. i loved the bars and the atmosphere.

since then i have been to Carteghena and Barcelona and i'm visiting Madrid for 4 nights in november.

one thing i like and i maybe wrong but it appears that spain is not so hung up on health and safety regulations. i was reading a paper today here in britain and it tells the story of a Grocer after 40 years trading has been told that he cannot display his produce outside his shop anymore because an apple may role off on to the floor and someone could trip on it.

thats why England is driving me mad!! please tell me spain is different??
Davehodgo is offline   Reply With Quote