Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 26th March 2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default How to type Spanish accents

Typing Spanish accents is easy if you have a Spanish keyboard at your fingertips (though many Spaniards don't always bother ).

For other keyboards around the world, there is an explanation of different ways to get the accents here. (Don't worry though, if you leave a few off in this forum we won't mind )

Firefox Users: Please note that the alt+number method for typing accents does not work with this forum when browsing with Firefox (it's a forum coding thing). We're very sorry about this!

Last edited by greytop; 13th August 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: firefox now works - greyed comment
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Alan
El Listo ;)

Setting up your keyboard to international settings gives a much more natural feeling anyway. AltGr + a = is much more natural than Alt + 0245. But, if you really want to use the Alt + numbers method, just type your post into Wordpad or something then copy and paste.

I'm using a United Kingdom extended keyboard setting, and the only problem I'm having at the moment is and . Accents can be typed using AltGr and ` keys (Gidhlig uses the grave accent). The tilde can be typed using AltGr+~ , THEN n.

Even better, if you're a Windows user, you can set your OWN keyboard layout to suit the languages that you type in. You can set special combinations to allow you to easily or more easily type certain characters. I don't use those curly brackets much, and what is that | key there for anyway? Get some use from them:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Sin
Forero

Default MoreKeys

There's a neat little free utility here. It opens in a small window that's always on top; and it gives you, at hand, all the accented letters.

http://www.braser.com/pr_mk1.html
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Marina
NFS Admin

Just out of interest, in Unix or Linux one use | to execute one command over the result of another one (is called pipe) .
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Alan
El Listo ;)

Yeah It's also used to create an OR operator in C/C++ as ||
Old 27th March 2006, 09:17 AM   #6
timg
Mega Forero

Under Windows XP you can set your keyboard to have more than 1 layout. I have mine set to UK normally, but I can switch to Spanish layout with a (configurable) combination of keys. It remains as a QWERTY keyboard, but the punctuation keys change to allow you to type the accented characters, the and the characters. Also, under Linux you can use setxkbmap to do the same thing (if you're using a graphical interface such as Gnome).
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Alan
El Listo ;)

Thanks timg, I needed to do this on my Linux box.
Old 27th March 2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Ben
Hero Forero

And I thought I knew a lot about computers! Respect to the Linux users amongst you!
Old 28th March 2006, 03:03 PM   #9
disco
Forero

Default Thanks a lot!

Just when I thought I have mastered alt 160 , 161 , 162 , 163 etc, and 164 you guys go and turn me into a techie. Now I have to re-learn and find out the simplest way to type, again.

I am new here, hi all.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

Welcome!
Old 28th March 2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Mark
Forero

Default Good utility

I use a laptop much more often than a desktop, so the ALT keys are difficult to use. I recommend a program called AllChars, available at http://allchars.zwolnet.com
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 02:29 AM   #12
pablo
Forero

Default And on a Mac OS X

In case there are any Mac OS X users out there...

1) Type option-e, then any vowel to make an accented vowel. Type option-n, then any letter (normally n) to get a tilde over it.

- or if you want something a bit less cumbersome while typing -

2) In System Prefs, go to the International Pane. In the Input Menu, check the box by Spanish and/or Spanish ISO. You can now use a shortcut key or simply select the Spanish flag in your menu bar when you want to switch language settings. And if you want to see what the Spanish layout looks like, open the Keyboard Viewer. Or just type until they show up unexpectedly, which can be fun as well.

P.S. And if you want to really have fun, in the International Pane you can also select Spanish as your primary language by dragging it to the top of the list. Then your OS and Cocoa apps (like Text Edit) will have menus and dialog boxes in Spanish. Most importantly, your spell check will be in Spanish as well.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 02:59 AM   #13
cubix
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo
P.S. And if you want to really have fun, in the International Pane you can also select Spanish as your primary language by dragging it to the top of the list. Then your OS and Cocoa apps (like Text Edit) will have menus and dialog boxes in Spanish. Most importantly, your spell check will be in Spanish as well.
That's awesome, I find the option key to be very easy to make accents with, a lot easier than on XP(like everything(
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 11:06 AM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubix
That's awesome, I find the option key to be very easy to make accents with, a lot easier than on XP(like everything(
Dont forget
Option (alt) + 1 to give you the inverted exclamation mark - Hola!

and
Option (alt) + Shift + ? for the inverted question mark - Que?

----once youve had a Mac youll never go back!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:49 PM   #15
Cat
Forero

Smile

Sin,

http://www.braser.com/pr_mk1.html

Thanks for that link...what a fab little program sitting very neatly on screen and so easy to use for a "plug and play" girl. "Linux, Mac etc."...All this complex computer jargon brings me out in a rash! But I'm dead envious of all the techie knowledge displayed..........but I must conquer all things Spanish before moving on to the intricacies of the PC world! There just aren't enough hours in the day.......hey ho !
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Andy E
Forero

I'd like to recommend the UK International Keyboard available at the following link:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/pef21/...l/gb_intl.html

If you've ever used the US International Keyboard, it is similar to that with the use of dead keys and I believe it's superior to the UK-Extended Keyboard layout provided by Microsoft. A couple of examples of its ease of use follow:

To type: you type ' + a
To type: you hold down the right-hand Alt key and hit the key with the ? on it (no need to use shift).

Andy.
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 07:33 PM   #17
kyle
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
----once youve had a Mac youll never go back!
and installed GNU/Linux on it, of course :-)
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 06:50 PM   #18
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
and installed GNU/Linux on it, of course :-)
sorry - not for a gold pig!

macOS 10.4 does it for me and I get iCal, iWeb, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie HD, etc, etc, chucked in for the price.

Thats not to say the GNU/Liux Stuff isnt great but why buy a dog and bark yourself?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 07:05 PM   #19
kyle
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
sorry - not for a gold pig!

macOS 10.4 does it for me and I get iCal, iWeb, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie HD, etc, etc, chucked in for the price.

Thats not to say the GNU/Liux Stuff isnt great but why buy a dog and bark yourself?
I bought my first mac (a powerbook) a couple of years ago. Since I do value quality hardware and IBM had reciently sold Thinkpad to Lenovo I thought Apple would be worth a try. I actually tried OSX for a few weeks but I didn't feel confortable anyway, and I installed ubuntu on it (never tried that particular distro before) and never looked back.

Being a unix guy, mac is ok with all those graphicall apps, but the terminal (or an alternative such as http://iterm.sourceforge.net/ ) isn't up to standars IMHO. I also notice a speed increase when running GNU/Linux (although that might be my perception)

and of course, I'm just lazy to learn a new operating system
Old 6th July 2006, 07:08 PM   #20
kyle
Forero

and getting on topic, keyboard layout in GNU/Linux (at least on intel) is the sanest I've found; we can type almost any sign (or even guess them):

control + alt + c =
control + alt + o =
control + alt + s =

and of course, we have good "dead keys" combinations ( ` ^ ) and native keys (, ). The only thing I'm unsure is about the vowels and tildes (I don't write portugese!)