Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 7th September 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Default Things to see and do in the south of Alicante region?

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who knows the area. I've got a week booked at the end of next month in Algorfa (about 20km NW from Torrevieja) and will have a hire car.

My interests are in seeing something of the 'real' Spain (if possible) - landscape, history, culture. But that said, I also have two daughters (ages 4 and 14) to keep interested and occupied. Day-trip destinations will therefore have to be within reasonable travelling time.

Where should I head for quieter and perhaps less typically touristy spots to visit?

Google Maps tells me that the city of Murcia is about 60km away and a bit further there is the Parque Regional de Carrasco y el Valle. Are these worth a visit?

Any information about the area and/or personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 05:23 AM   #2
vicentef
Banned

Default not many spanish in south alicante

no seriously, you can go inside alicante region for seeing some pueblos, when i go to alicante, i look for the opposite of you, i like very much albir, is a town with more norwegians than spanish with street or roads, like calle oslo, calle noruega and things like that, every year nordic people go more inside alicante region, because the same reason as you, they want to live in a more spanish way, there is a nice montanious region inside alicante and even snow there. sorry if i cant help you more

sorry everybody for my english, you can send a private message to the man from pego, he can give you some advice.
vicentef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Murcia city is pretty good, impressive cathedral and quite Spanish for this bit of the World. Couple of big shopping centres out of town too. That's real Spain.

Baños de Fortuna, just outside Fortuna, is a hot spa that looks like a swimming pool with some peeling "Victorian" hotels. I like it but it may not suit children.

Caravaca de la Cruz is about 90 mins up the motorway. Worth a look.

Down on the coast I have a soft spot for Santa Pola. Plenty of we foreigners, like all this coast, but a bit different and the coast past Santa Pola del Este just before the Gran Alacant Urb. is rather nice - no buildings, rock pools etc. Lots of Flamingos on the salt flats (I think they are still there at this time)

There is a similar, and surprising, little beach on the coast that hosts La Marina. Despite the "international" flavour of La Marina the coast there has a row of old houses and a couple of slightly run down restaurants. A change from the blocks of flats.

Elche town is smashing, all the palm trees, lots of good museums and stuff and some intersting restaurants. It feels particularly sophisticated just as the evening paseo starts especially near the Basilica and Glorieta.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
gastephen

Thank you very much, both of you, for your comments.

Elche sounds good.

I emailed about a dozen tourist offices in the towns in the area around Algorfa and quite a few have replied saying that they will post me some brochures, etc. (I found this site pretty good for getting their contact details: http://www.comunitatvalenciana.com/o...la_ofictur.htm)

Cheers, G.
Old 12th September 2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Default Alicante City

Well, if you have a full week booked in Algorfa then I suggest you might want to spend at least one day of it in the port city of Alicante. El Centro de Alicante has a very cosmopolitan and Mediterranean feel about the place. Over the past decade “las afueras”(the suburbs) of the city have expanded dramatically however, el centro still remains compact and easy to walk round.

While the city is not exactly monumentally blessed, it nevertheless is extremely pleasant to “paseo” (stroll) round. The below YouTube video clip link to “Callejeando por Alicante” (streetwalking about Alicante) gives a fair visual description of what I’m trying to convey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGo0m7d2vg

Well worth a visit are:
“Plaza de Los Lucheros” – 40 seconds into the video clip.
“Mercado Central” – comes up after 1 minute 20 seconds – even better seen from the inside during late-morning-to-early-afternoon weekday opening hours.
“Explanada” – 6 minutes 50 seconds – the long tiled and palm lined promenade that runs alongside the Marina.
Although not shown on this particular video clip, Alicante also has a beach, El Postiguet. While, like the city, compact in size, if the sun is shining the somewhat postage stamp beach can get crowded during the afternoon.

As one would expect, places to eat and graze are plentiful. The cuisine is very international and much of a muchness. If you have a sweet tooth then you might want to try the local delicacy of “turrón”. Personally, I prefer the hard Alicante recipe rather than the soft Jijona version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turron

If as you say, you have two daughters (aged 14 and 4) and in Alicante for only the day then I wouldn’t bother taking a look round the dominating “Castillo de Santa Barbara”. For it’s something of a footslog for adults, never mind children and other than the panoramic view, once you get everybody up there there’s not really a lot to do except wander around the battlements.

The principal Alicante Tourist Office is part of the main Bus Station complex located on La Calle de Portugal (bottom left-hand corner of the below linked street map). If you do happen to go to Alicante then I suggest you make it your first port of call in order to get one or two copies of their free street maps. Then at least you’ll have some idea of remembering where you parked the car and how to find your way about.

http://www.alicanteturismo.com/generales/callejero.asp

Last edited by Sagitario; 12th September 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Sagitario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 07:24 AM   #6
vicentef
Banned

Default excellent last post

i couldnt do it better even with one week off
Old 13th September 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero

Also if you're driving around and see the sign for Xixona, take an hour off and look round the turrón factory and museum. And yes there's a shop at the end of the tour!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 10:34 PM   #8
gastephen

@Sagitario: Thank you for the comprehensive reply - very much appreciated!

@Greytop: Mmmmmm, turrón! (I've had the crujiente variety before, but I guess that doesn't really count as proper turrón)
Old 16th November 2008, 08:11 PM   #9
gastephen

Default A week in the Comunidad Valenciana

Thanks again to those who provided a few suggestions, which certainly provided some good pointers.

I spent a thoroughly enjoyable week in the Comunidad Valenciana, and, in case anyone is interested, I'll try to recount here some of my experiences of my short visit.

After getting back to the UK and its dreary autumnal weather and settling back into the old routine, those precious few days away - although it was only two weeks ago - already seem to be fading away all too quickly as distant memories. Was I actually ever abroad? Putting some of it into words at least gives me an excuse to try to recapture some of the delights of actually being there.

Look out for more coming soon...
Old 16th November 2008, 08:24 PM   #10
gastephen

Default A week in the Comunidad Valenciana (1)

Algorfa

Villa with shared pool

Stayed in a rented villa in an urbanización just outside the town of Algorfa, opposite a golfing complex (La Finca Golf), and surrounded by orange groves.

Orange groves, Algorfa

The town is in the Vega Baja del Segura comarca of Alicante province, and apparently foreign residents make up 65% of its population. A couple of local landmarks are:

The Ermita, which is in the process of being restored and really stands out at night when floodlit.

Ermita, Algorfa

The Castillo de Montemar, which was built in the 18th century and is a private residence. Up until the end of the Civil War this belonged to the family of the Counts of Casa Rojas and served as their summer house.

Castillo de Montemar

---ooo000ooo---

More coming soon...

I'll try posting some more of the pictures on the Photo of the Week thread.

And in case anyone is interested in zooming in on the satellite imagery, I've marked on this map all the places to be mentioned.
Old 16th November 2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Skipper
El Guía

Don't miss Benidorm and the area.

From the skycrapers of Benidorm you can be in the fisher's traditional town of Altea in just 15 minutes. And from Altea you can go to the inland to the impressive town of Castell de Guadalest (the old town is over a rock) and visit the Fuentes de el Algar...

Enjoy Alicante!

Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 09:19 PM   #12
gastephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
Don't miss Benidorm and the area.

From the skycrapers of Benidorm you can be in the fisher's traditional town of Altea in just 15 minutes. And from Altea you can go to the inland to the impressive town of Castell de Guadalest (the old town is over a rock) and visit the Fuentes de el Algar...
Thanks, Skip! Something else to add to the list for next time, then!
Old 17th November 2008, 09:55 PM   #13
gastephen

Default A week in the Comunidad Valenciana (2)

Ciudad Quesada
Didn’t actually venture into the town, but did have a quick look around the Zoco Sunday market on the outskirts. This is held on ground by a now closed cement works, and, judging by the stalls there, is very popular with the local British community. There are also a lot of stalls selling produce such as fruit and vegetables, bread, and cooked chicken.

Zoco Sunday Market, Quesada

Torrevieja
Didn’t spend a great deal of time there – really just a stroll along the front.

Playa del Cura, Torrevieja

Playa del Cura, Torrevieja

Did, however, spend much more time in the Carrefour hypermarket – stocking up on provisions and also browsing the books and DVDs (came away with El Orfanato on DVD and a nicely illustrated Enciclopedia de los Nudos), and purchasing a few hard-to-get-in-the-UK indulgences, such as horchata, ron miel, and turrón.

Carrefour purchases

---ooo000ooo---

Google map
Old 17th November 2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
I spent a thoroughly enjoyable week in the Comunidad Valenciana After getting back to the UK and its dreary autumnal weather and settling back into the old routine, those precious few days away - although it was only two weeks ago - already seem to be fading away all too quickly as distant memories. Was I actually ever abroad? Putting some of it into words at least gives me an excuse to try to recapture some of the delights of actually being there....
Dare I say it in this forum?...It strikes me that this part of Spain can't begin to match the spectacular countryside surrounding you in Wales (but perhaps I'm wrong - having never visited the Alicante area. And then - I know - sometimes even Paradise can feel like Hell -without an occasional respite.)
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 10:25 PM   #15
gastephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
Dare I say it in this forum?...It strikes me that this part of Spain can't begin to match the spectacular countryside surrounding you in Wales (but perhaps I'm wrong - having never visited the Alicante area. And then - I know - sometimes even Paradise can feel like Hell -without an occasional respite.)
Well, you can only take so much "spectacular" before you start taking it for granted
Old 18th November 2008, 10:15 PM   #16
gastephen

Default A week in the Comunidad Valenciana (3)

Elche
In an experience that was to be repeated several times over in other towns, we spend quite a while driving around looking for somewhere to park. Street plans that don’t indicate one-way roads don’t help. And entrances to car parks – often just an inconspicuous ramp down to an underground parking area – just seemed all too easy to miss. Despite that, Elche is wonderful. The city boasts over 200,000 palm trees in numerous groves. Strolling along the 2 km length of the Ruta Palmeral Histórico provides a very pleasant way of passing half an hour or so. I’d also have liked to see some of the sites along the Monumental Route and perhaps visit a few of the town’s ten museums, but it was getting late and a little one was getting tired. Perhaps some other time…

Elche

Elche

Monteagudo
Not far over the border between the Comunidad Valenciana and Murcia and on the approach on the N340 to the outskirts of Murcia city, an impressive hilltop statue of Christ with outstretched arms comes into view. This is located on top of the Castillo de Monteagudo, a fortification dating back to the 12th century Almohad dynasty. The statue itself is 14 m tall and was designed in 1951.

Castillo de Monteagudo

---ooo000ooo---

Map
Old 19th November 2008, 02:02 AM   #17
djS
4 Doors of Madrid

Elche and Santa pola , now that where you need to go if you want real spanish
that where i live
djs
djS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 05:58 PM   #18
vicentef
Banned

Default help greytop

Hi greytop, i was looking yesterday homes in albir, and i saw a home of 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom for 155.000 E that i liked a lot.

How is this zone of albir and alfaz del pi in winter? I supposse that is not very populated or am i wrong?.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:40 PM   #19
gastephen

Default A week in the Comunidad Valenciana (4)

Murcia
Spent a day here leisurely wandering around, taking in some of the sights. The Plaza Santo Domingo is a very pleasant place to relax sitting at one of its terrace cafes. The convent church provides a focal point to the square, which was set out in 1547 as the main square of the city.

Iglesia Conventual de Santo Domingo, Murcia

Also impressive is the cathedral. Work on its construction started in 1388 and took four hundred years to complete. Handily, this too has at least one adjoining cafe-lined plaza.

Catedral, Murcia

The Río Segura cuts through the city and there are several bridges crossing it. On the north bank stands the Glorieta, with its fountains, in front of the Ayuntamiento.

Río Segura, Murcia

Ayuntamiento, Murcia

---ooo000ooo---

Map
Old 20th November 2008, 09:30 AM   #20
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentef View Post
Hi greytop, i was looking yesterday at houses in albir, and i saw a home of 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom for 155.000 E that i liked a lot.
How is this zone of albir and alfaz del pi in winter? I suppose that is not very populated or am i wrong?.
Thanks in advance.
sorry - can't help much there Vicente. Alfaz del Pi has more foreigners than Spanish I believe, including a lot of Scandinavians. I've only ever driven through it on the N332 however! 155K seems a lot for 1 bedroom though in the present financial climate, but it may be luxurious or in a very good location.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote