Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 31st July 2008, 07:04 PM   #81
Charm2
Forero

Default Mistakes are fabulous opportunities!

Mistakes are the planks in the bridge to your goal (Fluency). You can't get to the other side without making them. Embrace and celebrate them. In the moment you make one, your nerves are so worked up and your embarrassed so your senses are heightened- usually you remember the mistake (and it's correction) because you remember the mortification of it, right? Use that to your advantage. Right down those embarrassing moments and their antidote. EMBRACE IT. If you let your fear of mistakes shut your mouth you are robbing yourself of what you want, and not allowing yourself to be human. We all make mistakes. A child learning to use a language bluchers it before mastering it. That fact is each mistake is an opportunity to learn, so make the humiliation worth it and get something out of it but don't reject it, because you have to cross the bridge to get to the other side and it's PAVED with mistakes.
Charm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 05:42 PM   #82
Learn Spanish
Novato

Default About mistakes

I couldn't agree more. I don't think any of us want to make mistakes. It's natural to make them but also natural to feel embarrassed when we do. (Kind of funny I think.) Maybe we're embarrassed because of the way people react when we do make them...I don't know.

I have found that most native Spanish speakers are thrilled to have someone ask them how they would say something in Spanish. (As long as you don't go overboard with asking questions).

A wonderful way to learn is link removed that I came across. It shows the most common topics that people talk about on the streets, in their homes, with friends, and family. It's pretty cool.

It's not advanced, because most people don't use heavy grammatical structures when they talk to people. They just talk.

So just a tip for anyone that is trying to learn. It's a great place to start learning what is and isn't practical in everyday situations.

Last edited by eldeano; 4th August 2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Link removed
Learn Spanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 09:12 PM   #83
mvolz
Novato

Default Learn Spanish

I found the site xxxxxxx with some useful (free) exercises for Spanish beginners.

Last edited by greytop; 7th November 2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: link removed
mvolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:43 PM   #84
JWood424
Forero

Hola a todos

While I am relatively new to this forum, I have been working on my Spanish speaking ability for about the last year. I have tried as many different approaches as I can, searching for the most effective one for myself. I discovered that while some people learn by reading, others learn by speaking while others may learn in other ways. I have tried to vary my learning as much as possible, going from watching television to reading novels to trying in vain to talk with some of my Spanish speaking employees. I took the basic language classes in high school, but that was ten years ago, and today I find myself trying to recall so much that I learned way back when. In hindsight, I wish I had given it more attention when I was younger. Like many of you, I find myself getting extremely embarrassed when I make mistakes when speaking to others. Often I will catch myself and chastise myself for making silly mistakes I should know better than to make, such as using the wrong verb form. Often those I am speaking with will simply go on, understanding what I meant to say even if it came out wrong. I found my biggest fear comes not from speaking to native Spanish speakers but to those who are fluent in both English and Spanish. This is perhaps because it would be so much easier for us both to simply speak English yet I stumble around trying to speak Spanish. I think fear is one of the biggest obstacles for any of us to overcome and I while I am gaining more confidence every day, I still feel my heart jump into my throat at times when I want to speak Spanish but become too nervous.

One learning idea I have been pondering in my head for a few days now is this. As children, we all went to school and began learning the basics...reading, writing, arithmetic, etc., and while these were all seperate subjects, they all relied on our basic understanding of our native language. When I was younger, I had math, science, social studies (history) and English, which included reading and writing. Since we are all beginners at speaking Spanish, would it make sense to approach it as beginners in school? Is there a way in which I could study basic education in Spanish as way to improve my ability to speak. Instead of studying high school level verb conjugations for example, could I simply begin learning the early history of Spain, or the history of the universe, or how to add and subtract in Spanish. Watching children's cartoons in Spanish has actually helped me a bit as they tend to speak slower and more clearly than in the adult programs, and this is what lead me to believe I could learn more by treating my education as that of a child beginning school. I am eager to hear what others think on this subject and I would love to know if anyone knew of a way I could truly try this out. I have considered searching Amazon.com for childrens text books in Spanish, but I am on a bit of a fixed budget and would rather not go crazy buying up books. Again, if anyone has any thoughts on this, please share it here with me. As Ben has said over and over again, motivation is key to learning!
JWood424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 03:44 AM   #85
pjasso
PJasso

Three: Total Immersion.
Surround yourself with Spanish, bath yourself in Spanish! Watch Spanish films, or Spanish TV via satelite or the net, read Spanish magazines and newspapers, get a decent text book from the local bookshop, buy a decent dictionary (and a pocket one). Get hold of novels or ‘readers’ that match your abilities. A reader is a reduced, graded book with a range of vocab that matches your level. Estimate your level by picking up a reader in the bookshop and reading a page. If you have trouble with around 6 words then this is your level. More than 6 and it is too high, less and it is too low. More or total immersion here.

To add to Total Immersion-- What pushes me the most is moving in with a Spanish-only-speaking family and study in a Spanish-speaking country. I go to Mexico every summer for a month, and take classes during the day, but before I go, I eat breakfast with the family, come home for la comida and talk about my day-- just like a kid at the dinner table-- and I'm 50+. My Spanish increases by leaps and bounds, as does my confidence when I immerse with a family.
Then when I return home we write and email in Spanish, and I've made life-long friends.
pjasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 10:22 AM   #86
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood424 View Post
Hola a todos.....
Since we are all beginners at speaking Spanish, would it make sense to approach it as beginners in school? Is there a way in which I could study basic education in Spanish as way to improve my ability to speak. Instead of studying high school level verb conjugations for example, could I simply begin learning the early history of Spain, or the history of the universe, or how to add and subtract in Spanish. ....
Why not turn this idea on it's head and write/develop your own arithmetic or other classes. Children learn by repetition, so looking up unfamiliar words within this framework and using them again and again to produce mini lessons would make you retain material. Having an aim like this makes you do things you'd otherwise put off.
cody's cuentos may also provide you with some light hearted inspiration.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:51 AM   #87
Dany
Forero

Default Mi motivation intrinseca

Hola!
Para mi aprender espanol es un poco como un juego.
Los verbos, la grammatica, leer libros o ver pelis, escribir frases espanolas, hablar con nativos, escuchar podcastds, etc… todos los actividades son como parte de un puzzle enorme.
Entonces mi metodo propia es una gran mescla de todos .
Y me gusta porque quiero jugar!

Saludos, Dany
(correciones deseadas, por favor)
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 07:10 PM   #88
student29
Student 29

Default Methods to learn spanish

Hi There! I have really dificulty's to learn Spanish... First i practice it with some good software. It helped me very well!! But now i just want a partner to talk spanish with... Do you know where i can find some dutsh students like me?

Last edited by greytop; 11th May 2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clickbank link removed
student29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 11:15 PM   #89
Janna
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by student29 View Post
Hi There! I have really dificulty's to learn Spanish... First i practice it with some good software. It helped me very well!! But now i just want a partner to talk spanish with... Do you know where i can find some dutsh students like me?

you can look on intercambio.es
Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 03:57 PM   #90
elverde
Forero

Default Si quieres aprender de verdad

Para aprender espanol de verdad ven a Espana y coge un trabajo, se aseguro que en un mes estas fluente como una fuente, chaval vamos y tirate al agua que en el agua se aprende a nadar....
elverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:37 PM   #91
JWood424
Forero

Mientras estoy de acuerdo que es importante rodearse con el idioma, a veces, no es tan fácil como dice. Es decir, no puede aprender nadar sin agua. Yo vivo en los EEUU y no puedo viajar a Espana para aprender. Me gustaría hacerlo, pero en realidad, no es algo posible en este momento de mi vida. Muchas personas dicen "Vaya a Espana y muy pronto puede hablar perfectamente." Desafortunadamente esto no es un buen solución por todos. Todavía, leo libros en español y miro peliculas en español, pero para pasar todo de mi día con español no es posible. Practico tan mucho como posible pero imersión es muy difícil en un país donde el español no es el idioma nativo. Es cierto que hay muchas personas aquí que hablan español, pero solo es un poco por ciento de todos las personas. Es porque vengo aquí para practicar un poco y compartir ideas con otros. Me gusta estes foros mucho y espero puedo seguir aprender aquí con todos.
JWood424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 03:44 PM   #92
Ikibok
Novato

Default Learning Spanish

I found some free online lessons - Spanish grammar and exercises
Ikibok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 03:21 PM   #93
dancer
Novato

These are all really good tips. The trick I think is completely immersing yourself, and making spanish-speaking friends. They do say that the quickest way to becoming fluent in a language is to get a local boyfriend/girlfriend of the language
Other things that I find useful when learning a language: read as much as you can- if a novel is too much work, start with articles or even cartoon books. Watch movies or get hooked on a tv series. And other things like listening to spanish music, or listening to spanish podcasts
dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 02:43 PM   #94
pepsi
Forero

Hey ben thanks for the tips, i'm just starting out learning spanish and i've written a short blog post on how i'm going to use some of the tips you have mentiond, i do plan on blogging about some more of the tips you have given us but thought i would share this short blog post

Studying Spanish Blog

- Its basically my journey of learning a new langauge
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 06:29 AM   #95
marryroy01
Novato

Default Good tips

I am marry. Those are the really good tips for me. I do not know about others what's in their mind. I want to learn the spanish because of It is really sweet language. I like it so much. I also like the spanish songs of Ricky Martin, Celine Dion, Enrique eglesious. I like it so much.
marryroy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 02:07 PM   #96
jj29
Novato

Wink Learn Spanish with audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekD View Post
ive just started lsitening to a spanish audiobook (bought on the US amazon site) - Angeles y Demonios by Dan Brown. I can really reccommend it.
I'm also a big fan learning Spanish with audio lessons. I don't like learning Spanish in a class setting and textbooks just make my head spin.

With audio lessons I can learn when and wherever I want in my own time and I can reply the lesson until I feel comfortable enough to progress to the next level...
jj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 07:15 AM   #97
pitterson
Novato

Remember that language is first and foremost oral communication. Try to develop a "good ear" for Spanish. An easy and fun way to do this is by listening to Spanish music, watching Spanish movies or Dvd, or watching Spanish TV. You will also start to understand why certain words or phrases are used instead of others, and you will start to use them in your own conversations and writing. Spanish will start to become a habit, and little by little you will find it easier to use Spanish .
pitterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 10:55 AM   #98
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterson View Post
An easy and fun way to do this is by listening to Spanish music, watching Spanish movies or Dvd, or watching Spanish TV.
Even more fun, if you live in a Spanish speaking country, but I suppose possible even on the London Underground, is to evesdrop on conversations. I was listening to a little girl talking to grandma yesterday and she was, of course using simple language, and grandma was doing likewise. It was all typical childish nonsense, but great practise for the ear. But get two women gossiping on the Madrid metro and you can be entertained and instructed at the same time.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 06:01 PM   #99
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
But get two women gossiping on the Madrid metro and you can be entertained and instructed at the same time.
¡Cotilla!
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:40 PM   #100
bana_dipu
Novato

Spanish is no more difficult.....It's amazing to learn
bana_dipu is offline   Reply With Quote