Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 10th February 2008, 08:47 PM   #41
Perrault
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
It's all very well knowing how to type accents, the real problem is knowing when to use them.
¡jijiji!

¡Tienes mucha razón!
Perrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 08:57 PM   #42
swaeraas
Forero

Location: Kristiansund, Norway. Part of the year in Sète, France

Thank you very much pablo and Gary! In fact I have a MacBook that I'm very satisfied with, and I will try your suggestions at once! (but I am quite stupid in technical matters..)
swaeraas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 04:55 AM   #43
pabloscrito14
Forero

Thanks for the Mac OS X tips, Pablo. I was aware of the keyboard mapping option, but didn't know about the option key method.

I've used the Dvorak layout for my English typing as it's supposed to be easier on the wrists. It's actually difficult for me to go back to a regular "QWERTY" layout now. I haven't found a Dvorak equivalent for Spanish, though, so I'll probably be using the option method.
pabloscrito14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:02 AM   #44
Flanny
Malabarista

Default YES! you can have a spanish keyboard (layout) in windows FREE!

This may have been covered and maybe not. I just skimmed after much of the first page.

This is WAY late but I thought I'd post some info for those who actually want the feel of a spanish keyboard but don't want to pay bucks for it.

I have 2 links to provide for windoze users. The first is a site that provides "how to" in both vista and xp. FOR FREE IN MICROSOFT WINDOWS (not something you see or hear everyday) you can have the KEYBOARD LAYOUT of your choice (within limits). Without extra software you can add multiple keyboard layouts to choose from and if you wish, even have a toolbar icon that allows you to switch between keyboards in different applications. I.E. you can be in Notepad in English and in Firefox in Spanish and in openoffice.org writer in french if you so choose. Here's the link for that "how to":

http://www.conversationexchange.com/...d-language.php

Since this is a site dedicated to Spain and learning Castellano I'll assume you'll want a reference for a spanish keyboard layout.

http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/spa...s/kspanish.gif

You can use a variety of clear sticker print pages found at most office supply stores to print overlays to put onto your keyboard if you wish. I just use the above keyboard image when I forget where something is on the spanish layout.

(added in edit, instructions for doing the same in mac os x)
http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/inter...ds/mackey.html

Be careful though, the windows built in keyboard switching utility can take a bit of getting used to and likes to prove you wrong when you think you've got it all figured out.

Now that I've gotten the how to's out of the way for those who just gotta have their windows, Linux is a completely free software, if you don't mind installing it and are somewhat tech savvy. I like fedora the best but in most of the linux flavors you can install multiple languages during the installation process. Additionally you can log in and out of any given user login, set up both the language and keyboard preferences to start up the same for that log in each time. I.E. I have an "American" user and a "Castellano" user and an "Italia" user, etc. etc. etc. I have the keyboard options set on each one respectively, and the login language for each one is the proper language for that login. All this is done free where I would have to pay boocoo bucks for an "addon" pack of several disks to do this in windoze. i.e. when I log into "Castellano", every choice I click on is in spanish, right from the start up, to the log off, to the date in the tool bar, to the menu items on the sound control, etc. etc. etc. and when I log into "American" it's all in u.s. english. etc. etc. Or if I prefer I can have everything display in english and just have the keyboard set to spanish. My choice.

PS you don't have to give up windows or mac to run linux. You can have what's called a dual boot system (2 operating systems on the same computer). Either you or a tech savvy friend partitions your hard drive into multiple partitions. Install your main o.s. (windows or mac) on one partition then use your linux install disk to install linux on the remaining space. Linux installs a "boot loader" which gives you a menu with a choice of which OS to start into, with a "default" option selected so that if you don't do anything in the specified time period it starts into that one automatically. This way you can set up your mac os or windoze the way you like and you can have linux to boot into when you want that "spanish feel" so that windoze doesn't go flaky from too many user option changes enabled.

Sorry this is so late. I hope it helps someone that may have shown up recently or joins later that wonders these things.

Last edited by Flanny; 23rd July 2008 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Adding a link for mac instructions
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 07:22 AM   #45
marie-chan
Forero

when using Vista or XP here's a way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc59XJ_mHfU

i think i've written something.. dont know if it was posted... nways here's the video guide..
marie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 09:46 PM   #46
millerseth
Novato

For firefox users, this page has directions to install a cool little app that lets you toggle to Spanish characters with the F2 key

http://www.1729.com/spanish/index.html
millerseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 01:09 AM   #47
mdbham
Espanol lover!

Red face Mac viewing keyboard letters?

¡Hola!

¿Que tal?

Just a quick question about the MAC and getting spanish keyboard settings. Thanks for the advice btw.

Is there a way of "seeing" the letters for the spanish keyboard once you change it to spanish??
mdbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 07:33 PM   #48
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Linux is a completely free software, if you don't mind installing it and are somewhat tech savvy. I like fedora the best but in most of the linux flavors you can install multiple languages during the installation process.
I'm using ubuntu at the moment simply because when I broke my computer I didn't have a set of Windows disks and I've kind of got used to it now (and my computer seems to work faster). I've put a Spanish keyboard on but there doesn't seem to be that facility that Windows has to swap keyboards with a mouse-click -is there a way to do it without resetting from the preferences menu? Actually I've pretty much memorized the keystrokes I need now.
By the way, this is a Spanish keyboard.

Last edited by tad; 13th October 2008 at 07:48 PM.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 08:33 PM   #49
Cortez
Forero

I swear I posted something in this thread the other day and now it's gone ...
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 06:27 AM   #50
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I swear I posted something in this thread the other day and now it's gone ...
Maybe it was this?
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 06:49 PM   #51
Cortez
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Maybe it was this?
Ah yes, that is it. Two threads with the same title is quite confusing!
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 08:09 PM   #52
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
I'm using ubuntu at the moment simply because when I broke my computer I didn't have a set of Windows disks and I've kind of got used to it now (and my computer seems to work faster). I've put a Spanish keyboard on but there doesn't seem to be that facility that Windows has to swap keyboards with a mouse-click -is there a way to do it without resetting from the preferences menu? Actually I've pretty much memorized the keystrokes I need now.
By the way, this is a Spanish keyboard.

You can right click on the task bar and add the language tool. If in your preferences you have the two keyboard configs in the list you can click the ENG or ESP on your task bar to switch.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 03:16 PM   #53
tad
virtual idiot

Thanks oh techy Incan one.
Old 15th October 2008, 07:13 PM   #54
tad
virtual idiot

º1234567890'¡ª!"·$%&/()=?¿
`1234567890-=¬!"£$%^&*()_+

hey it works! -I installed some eyeballs there too.

On my list it was listed as 'keyboard indicator' and had some flags next to it.
Old 15th October 2008, 08:43 PM   #55
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
º1234567890'¡ª!"·$%&/()=?¿
`1234567890-=¬!"£$%^&*()_+

hey it works! -I installed some eyeballs there too.

On my list it was listed as 'keyboard indicator' and had some flags next to it.
have you got an ñ?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 09:12 PM   #56
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
have you got an ñ?
ño.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:16 PM   #57
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
ño.
Then you'll not be able to sing the old Cockney anthem

ñ old iron
ñ old iron
ñ ñ ñ old iron
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 09:21 PM   #58
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Then you'll not be able to sing the old Cockney anthem

ñ old iron
ñ old iron
ñ ñ ñ old iron
...that's probably just as well then.
Old 30th December 2008, 05:01 AM   #59
Lri
Novato

Wink Here is my easy way to obtain International Characters

On your computer, click on Start/Run and type charmap.
Click OK and a Character Map window will open.
Select the character, copy it and paste it where you need it.

Have fun,

Lri

Lri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 12:52 PM   #60
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
You can right click on the task bar and add the language tool. If in your preferences you have the two keyboard configs in the list you can click the ENG or ESP on your task bar to switch.
I'v just noticed also that on my ubuntu (Hardy Heron) you can select 'character palette' from the toolbar list and simply have a range of characters sitting on your toolbar that can be accessd with one click.