Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 1st January 2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Arrow Kick-Start your Spanish! Our Report, your Ideas.

Marina and I have come up with a 9 page free report on ways to kick-start your Spanish learning.

It's gone out to all our newsletter subscribers, and if that doesn't include you, then don't worry - just subscribe to our Newsletter now via the front page of NotesinSpanish.com and you will also get to download a copy of the report.

In the meantime, here is a summary of the main points:

Our 8 Top Tips for Kick-Starting your Spanish in the New Year:

1. If learning Spanish gets boring, change how you are learning it immediately!

2. If you get a teacher, make sure that teacher is GREAT!

3. Align your Spanish learning with your interests - find Spanish websites, magazines, forums etc that cover your hobbies or pastimes and join in.

4. Improvise and mix it up a bit (don’t just study grammar all day, use your Spanish creatively too!)

5. Love your favourite Spanish phrases and keep looking for more!

6. Plan a trip to a Spanish-speaking country soon.

7. Set short-term goals and don’t agobiar (stress) yourself.

8. Make a little time for Spanish every day.

For a full explanation of each point, and links to example resources, sign up for our newsletter on the front page of notesinspanish.com, and get the full report.

What can you add to the list? What would be your top tip for kick-starting your Spanish in 2008?

Last edited by Ben; 8th February 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

High on my list would be to get a skype (or similar) partner, preferably more than one, and meet to chat as often as you can. I think it's an invaluable learning tool, and best of all, it's free!
Agree with selecting a great Spanish teacher, but living where I am, and after having spent many years without any teacher, I'm grateful for the one I have, a lot of us don't really have any choice. And of course, if you can't find one, a skype partner is a great substitute
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Rizzo La Rata
Forero Senior

Hej Ben,

considering point 3 of your list, do you (or perhaps Marina) know of any good spanish magazin on informatics and/or programation that can be read online?

Thanks, André
Rizzo La Rata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo La Rata View Post
know of any good spanish magazin on informatics and/or programation that can be read online?

Thanks, André
Hola André,
Here are some blogs that might be of interest to you:
http://www.microsiervos.com/
http://daviddelprado.blogspot.com/
http://tecnicoenlaplata.blogspot.com/
http://eldestornillador.wordpress.com/
http://soportetonto.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 10:29 PM   #5
jgweber
Forero

Hello Marina, hello Ben,
first of all, I wish you a happy new year of 2008!

Thanks a lot for your top-tips-list. There are some good and new ideas. I also can recommend a funny way to listen to the audioblogs of NIS: I have bought me a MP3-Player with a storeage of 6 GB. I can put a lot of audio-files in it. I do jogging 2 or 3 times a week for 1:30 or 2 hours. Its lot of time to listen to the great dialogues of Ben and Marina. I do the same when I go with my bike somerwhere. I like to move and listen at the same time. I can better concentrate myself to the dialogues. Mybe an ideas for others too?
Greetings
Jürgen
jgweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 11:00 PM   #6
jessica
Super Forero

juergen-- i do the same when i work out in the gym. sometimes conversations make the time go by faster than workouts.
..und ich wuensche dir einen guten rutsch ins neue jahr!
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 01:06 PM   #7
tamara
tamara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgweber View Post
Hello Marina, hello Ben,
first of all, I wish you a happy new year of 2008!

Thanks a lot for your top-tips-list. There are some good and new ideas. I also can recommend a funny way to listen to the audioblogs of NIS: I have bought me a MP3-Player with a storeage of 6 GB. I can put a lot of audio-files in it. I do jogging 2 or 3 times a week for 1:30 or 2 hours. Its lot of time to listen to the great dialogues of Ben and Marina. I do the same when I go with my bike somerwhere. I like to move and listen at the same time. I can better concentrate myself to the dialogues. Mybe an ideas for others too?
Greetings
Jürgen
hi jürgen.ı'm new in this forum.You can help me how I improve my spanish what I have to do.my e-mail address alegre_guia let's see byee...
tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:24 AM   #8
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
What would be your top tip for kick-starting your Spanish in 2008?
Just throw your damned ego out the window - together with the old year.
Don your BOLD suit
and...dive in!
Be fearless. The only one judging you - is YOU. So please STOP!
Find some great intercambios - which will do wonders to improve both your listening and your speaking skills.
Use the forum to develop your writing ability.
Don't be shy or allow yourself to feel intimidated. Remember: We've all been beginners once and can only empathise with and appreciate any and all efforts that you make.
So - stop lurking. Don't hesitate. Come and talk to us now - in Spanish!
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 01:03 PM   #9
bil
Forero

Don't be discouraged by the tapes in language courses. The only decent ones I ever found were the Ealing course in German. Sadly, the Spanish Ealing course is now unavailable, more's the pity. Unlike all the others I tried, the Ealing was crisp, elegant German with the words spoken precisely, unlike the dialect ridden others where they managed to gabble and mumble at the same time.

Same went for French and Japanese. Even the Japanese teacher burst out laughing at it.
bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 12:59 PM   #10
motonacio
Novato

Talking

No estoy a la altura de esa tarea. Hoy que buscarle el lado flaco otra vez.

Grupo etario - es mucho pedir.

Cribbed from Barron's Spanish Idioms.

Still following the references in the Kick-Start document. That's my task for this year.
motonacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 08:31 AM   #11
la guiritana
Novato

Default radio recommendations?

Saludos~

I listen regularly to the Advanced and Intermediate podcasts--I really enjoy them and find them quite useful. I want to keep up my ear for Spanish, so I'm looking for other ways to do so. En particular, llevo mucho tiempo buscando un programa de radio español que me gusta (osea, de España, en castellano)--algo parecido a NPR, National Public Radio, aquí en EEUU (or the BBC radio broadcasts). Hay algo parecido en España? Con noticias, entrevistas, discusiónes de política mundial, nacional, etc.?
la guiritana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by la guiritana View Post
Saludos~

I listen regularly to the Advanced and Intermediate podcasts--I really enjoy them and find them quite useful. I want to keep up my ear for Spanish, so I'm looking for other ways to do so. En particular, llevo mucho tiempo buscando un programa de radio español que me gusta (osea, de España, en castellano)--algo parecido a NPR, National Public Radio, aquí en EEUU (or the BBC radio broadcasts). Hay algo parecido en España? Con noticias, entrevistas, discusiónes de política mundial, nacional, etc.?
There are plenty to choose from. You can either download the audio directly from these radio stations' web sites or you can look for their individual programs on iTunes under the podcast category.

Spain:
www.cadenaser.com/
www.rne.es/
www.ondacero.com/

Latin American accents:
BBC Mundo: www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/mh/
NPR-RNW La Matinal: www.informarn.nl/
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by la guiritana View Post
llevo mucho tiempo buscando un programa de radio español que me gusta (osea, de España, en castellano)--algo parecido a NPR, National Public Radio, aquí en EEUU (or the BBC radio broadcasts). Hay algo parecido en España? Con noticias, entrevistas, discusiónes de política mundial, nacional, etc.?
Yo, también, soy una aficionada loyal de NPR y por eso creo que entiendo el contexto y la frustración atrás de tu pregunta. Así te sugiero que:
Añada a la lista excelente de Beckett (en el post anterior) otro podcast que se llama "Canadá en las Américas" (puedes encontrarlo en ITunes) y además - si quieres un canal de televisión parecido al BBC o PBS - el siguiente es maravilloso:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/99624/LangMag-VMe

No sé donde vives en EE.UU o si está disponible el canal V-Me (el nombre es un chiste que significa: ¡Veme!) en tu barrio; puedes llamar tu canal local de PBS (de hecho, V-me es transmitido a través de el) para preguntarles si está disponible este canal en tu localidad particular. ¡Vale la pena! Te lo recomiendo absolutamente.
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Cuando haces clic en el enlace en mi mensaje arriba, es necesario "scroll down" al lado del artículo que parece encima del blog - para leerlo.
Old 7th May 2008, 06:13 PM   #15
Mick
loving life

I left my language school, because it was to theoretical.
My teacher was not inspiring me. Yesterday I went to another school.
And I love it, I really love it. I listened and spoke Spanish for 4 hours
All the time I was thinking I was stupid, bud it was the method that did not fit me.

Thanx Ben and Marina, You inspired me to change school.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 07:25 PM   #16
Ben
Hero Forero

Great news Mick. A lot of people often don't have the courage to change when they really should.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 03:42 AM   #17
Oscar
Forero

Default Spanish phrases

Hay frases que solo se habla en Espana y no en Latin America? Hay una posibilidad que la gente en America Latina comprenderia la misma frase diferente? En el libro de frases, hay una distincion entre los paises?

Por favor, correct my spanish. This is hard!!
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:31 AM   #18
Janna
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Hay frases que solo se hablan en Espana y no en Latin America? Es posible que la gente en Latinamérica [mejor: tenga sentidos diferentes que los españoles para las mismas palabras?] En el libro de frases, hay una distincion entre los paises?

Por favor, correct my spanish. This is hard!!

To answer your question there are many phrases that have different meanings in Latin America and in Spain, especially slang. De hecho, todos los países entre latinamérica tienen sus propias expresiones. Por eso es muy dificil. Recomiendo que elijas un país y que intentes conocer las expresiones que se usan allí antes de que empieces con otro país. Para aprender estas expresiones, puedes ver programas de tele y leer revistas, y cuando encuentres expresiones que no conoces, puedes buscar y preguntar en el foro de wordreference.com

Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 08:48 AM   #19
bertopola
Forero

Es MUY importante conocer esas diferentes expresiones, puesto que una palabra que en cierto pais puede ser aceptada, en otro puede ser un insulto u otra palabra desagradable.
bertopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:16 AM   #20
Lupine Chemist
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertopola View Post
Es MUY importante conocer esas diferentes expresiones, puesto que una palabra que en cierto pais puede ser aceptada, en otro puede ser un insulto u otra palabra desagradable.
Sí, es importante que se coja bien.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote