Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 30th November 2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

Default british t.v in spain

i live in the malaga province and i would like to have british t.v. i cannot have a dish as my balcony is to small and my commudad won't like anything pertruding over the balcony is there any other ways of getting british t.v. any help would be great.
Davehodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 11:03 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

Do they not have a communal area oin the roof you can access. That's where my 1.9m dish is. Otherwise you may be stuck with trying to access it via the internet using a proxy site in the UK - or your own if you have a house there with a PC in it. I've not had much luck with the first but as I have a dish I've not really researched it, just wanted to look at some old stuff.
Better still use the Spanish TDT service and improve your language skills They do have some English content these days and more if you subscribe to Canal+ I think.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Ricardodaforce
Forero

I've never understood this need to watch British TV when you've made the decision to leave the UK.
I met a guy last week who's lived in Spain 17 years and can't speak Spanish at all.
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Once you learn Spanish well enough, you'll find that a lot of programs are the same US imports shown on British tv (eg CSI, House etc) just dubbed into Spanish. Other programs like the Apprentice or Life on Mars (La Chica de Ayer) are re-made in the Spanish setting. Of course there's always the internet. I don't know if people in Spain can get IPlayer, but if you still have a contact in the UK, this may be an option

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

Quote:
The Slingbox is a TV streaming device that enables users to remotely view their home's cable, satellite, or personal video recorder (PVR) programming from an Internet-enabled computer with a broadband Internet connection.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Londoner_at_heart
Madrileña mediterránea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
I've never understood this need to watch British TV when you've made the decision to leave the UK.
I met a guy last week who's lived in Spain 17 years and can't speak Spanish at all.
I do understand. I can't stand dubbed shows. And come on, you can't compare Jonathan Ross with, say, Pablo Motos. I'm sorry but I can't go back to Spanish TV. If I were British I'd try to find another way of learning Spanish. Like going to the bar with Spanish friends. But NOT watching Sálvame and the like.
Londoner_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
It's called personal choice Luckily we're not all the same. O sí prefieras, se llaman "personal choice" y fortunamente que todos no son iguales. Leo la prensa española todos los dias pero su TV (el contenido no la lengua) no me gusta.

Quote:
I doubt it's British TV that's responsible for that!! It's one of the reasons I live in a smallish town away from the urbanisations. When you go to one of the Costa towns with a large Brit population many times even if you try some Spanish they will answer in English (or German etc).
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

i am actively learning spanish and would keep my spanish t.v system as well. but i'm with greytop its personal choice, i miss Top gear and some of the bbc documentaries. has anybody heard of tv via Cable somebody mentioned it to me but i don't know much about it?
Old 30th November 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Is Spanish and British TV mutually exclusive? Maybe for some but for others, I would imagine there is room for both. I occasionally turn on TVE Internacional to try to get the Spanish perspective on the news and shore up some, my Castellano but I won't be ditching American tv anytime soon.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Londoner_at_heart
Madrileña mediterránea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehodgo View Post
i am actively learning spanish and would keep my spanish t.v system as well. but i'm with greytop its personal choice, i miss Top gear and some of the bbc documentaries. has anybody heard of tv via Cable somebody mentioned it to me but i don't know much about it?
I miss Top Gear too, and the documentaries, and Have I Got News For You (even though I still can't understand it all). Top Gear is now available (voiced over) in La Sexta I believe, but they are showing it from Season 1 -so pretty all episodes on air now!
Old 30th November 2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Londoner_at_heart
Madrileña mediterránea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Is Spanish and British TV mutually exclusive? Maybe for some but for others, I would imagine there is room for both. I occasionally turn on TVE Internacional to try to get the Spanish perspective on the news and shore up some, my Castellano but I won't be ditching American tv anytime soon.
I would say they are, in a way, exclusive. If you're used to British (or American) TV, Spanish programming and never-ending commercial breaks can be unbearable. I'm sure there are some exceptions, there has to be nice programmes out there but I just can't be bothered to keep looking for them. I'd rather read a book or watch a series online or go out.

Re BBC's iPlayer, sadly you need a UK IP address -although I hear it's not hard to get a dynamic IP if you download some software or other. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on this?
Old 30th November 2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner_at_heart View Post
Re BBC's iPlayer, sadly you need a UK IP address -although I hear it's not hard to get a dynamic IP if you download some software or other. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on this?
If you google "vpn tv" you'll see a few companies that offer software that effectively "hides" the fact that you are not in the UK. This means you can watch all the online content from the BBC, etc from Spain. Somebody told me they were paying 7€/month and that it was pretty good (I can't remember which company it was though). The content will come through to a PC but you can easily hook a PC up to most TVs.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 06:31 PM   #12
dimonió
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I occasionally turn on TVE Internacional to try to get the Spanish perspective on the news and shore up some, my Castellano but I won't be ditching American tv anytime soon.
Hi. You are in the lucky position of being able to get TVe. Since Sky withdrew the service in the UK the only way I can find is through the "TVE al al Carta", but I have a feeble internet connection speed at home which hardly makes it worth the effort. I find I spend more and more time listening to my Pure Evoke internet radio which is absolutely brilliant for sourcing stations from all round the world and seems to connect much better.
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 08:24 PM   #13
delgado
Mega Forero

Default TDT

Hi, why don't you buy yourself a TDT box (shouldn't cost you more than about 30Euros), basically the Spanish equivalent of a Freeview box. It's not quite British TV, but you can change the language of anything that is dubbed back to English by simply changing the audio settings.

Hope this helps!
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Londoner_at_heart
Madrileña mediterránea

I was just watching Peep Show on youtube. Seriously, the day we see something this good on Spanish TV, I'll get over my British TV obsesion. Promise.
Old 1st December 2009, 08:52 AM   #15
fawlty
Super Forero

Download and run this. It is safe and free. Happy viewing!:

http://www.filmon.com/tv/
fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 12:22 PM   #16
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

has anyone heard about the cable option? also there are rumours that in fuengirola there are big satelites so all you need a reciever box and have it like you would freeview back in the Uk. has anybody else heard of that.

any help would be great

from a newly married man.

Dave
Old 1st December 2009, 09:58 PM   #17
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimonió View Post
Hi. You are in the lucky position of being able to get TVe. Since Sky withdrew the service in the UK the only way I can find is through the "TVE al al Carta", but I have a feeble internet connection speed at home which hardly makes it worth the effort. I find I spend more and more time listening to my Pure Evoke internet radio which is absolutely brilliant for sourcing stations from all round the world and seems to connect much better.
TVe is still on other satellites. I got a box from ebay for just over £40 and get about 10 Spanish TV channels including TVe and 7 or 8 radio channels.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

Default update

update, the satelite man is coming around on wedneday only problem is my flat is facing the wrong way not sure if we will get a signal yet. so prayers would be welcome. good deal though satelite and box 200 channels all british ones on there for 199 euros including installation.

thanks for your comments
Old 7th December 2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Londoner_at_heart
Madrileña mediterránea

Good luck, Davehodgo, keep us posted.

Is that a one-off cost?
Old 15th December 2009, 01:44 PM   #20
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

yes its a one off cost not bad hey, i ought to get commision for this lol