Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 12th May 2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Janna
Forero

Default coloquial spanish

any advice for good books, websites, movies to learn more coloquial phrases and expressions in spanish? I already am familiar with notesinspanish.com & englishtricks.com

any techniques you find useful for learning these kinds of expressions?
Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
JWood424
Forero

I found this website http://www.languagerealm.com/spanish/spanishslang.php

and it has quite a bit of what I think you are looking for. It includes some more vulgar terms, which I am not really that interested in learning, but it also has a lot of basic phrases. Personally, I'm not all that interested in swearing, but I do want to sound more authentic. I think this can be helpful.
JWood424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 09:59 PM   #3
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood424 View Post
Personally, I'm not all that interested in swearing, but I do want to sound more authentic. I think this can be helpful.
Remember that some words that we consider swearing are in pretty common usage in Spain. The first time I heard a tennager call his sister a Gillipollas I was shocked, but realse now that it doesn't quite carry the same weight as the English equivilent.
You may not want to know the words to use yourself, but you will need to recognise the words when you hear them or you will just think there was a word you didn't know in the sentence, and then lose the meaning.
For a start, you will never understand one episode of Aida!!
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:48 PM   #4
DaveKotschessa
Forero Senior

I always thought vulgarities would be a good thing to learn so that if somebody says something nasty I'm not the one sitting there going "what does that mean?"

-DaveK
DaveKotschessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Ramses
Spanish fanatic

Vulgar language is really a big part of the Spanish language (everyone uses it, from kids to older people), so learning it is essential. I learned slang and colloquial Spanish through series (like Los Serrano, Física o Química, etc.), which is both entertaining and will teach you more than you´ll ever learn from a text book.
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 07:53 AM   #6
TerryR
Novato

Hi, Janna,

I have a few links for TV and radio resources in all languages (you can always find specific Spanish links inside). Here we go:

TV stations
http://beelinetv.com/ (I prefer the quality here, but the stations are often offline)
http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Radio stations
http://www.omninternet.com/radio/radio.asp
http://www.live-radio.net/info.shtml

Hope they help,

Terry.
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 06:44 PM   #7
cdowis
Forero Senior

I will state the obvious -- there will be regional differences on slang even in the same country, so "be aware, be square".
cdowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 03:27 PM   #8
cdowis
Forero Senior

Here is a site that will give you idioms.

http://www.studyspanish.com/idioms/
cdowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 02:52 AM   #9
Janna
Forero

Thank you for all the advice and resources! I have been hooked on Física o Química lately and I have to say that it is the best resource I have found for picking up slang from Spain, and it's fun!

My only problem now is I don't know how to branch out beyond Spain...considering I lived there for 5 months & took a class specific to español coloquial, listen to Ben & Marina's podcasts, & watch FoQ, I have a pretty good handle on the slang as it is used in Spain. But when it comes to Mexico, which is right next to where i live (California) or the slang of any other country, I am totally lost! And I don't know which slang is used in both places, or which is totally different. For example, I do know that saying the word "coger" in Mexico can get you into trouble!!!

Any advice for sorting out the slang of different regions & countries?
Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 06:47 PM   #10
steph
chapurreo español

( Just to add to Janna's question above: )

Is the type of Spanish spoken in Mexico also Castilian Spanish?
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 06:59 PM   #11
greytop
Hero Forero

google spanish slang dictionary for a lot of links
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Finster
Forero

I have really enjoyed Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish. It has a different approach to your typical Spanish phrasebook in how the chapters are broken out, but touches on different ways to say the same thing from formal to informal. There is a whole chapter dedicated to "inadvertent obscenities and intentional swearing." Granted, it would take volumes to capture all the slang from different regions, but I found this book very entertaining and a good place to start.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 07:27 PM   #13
adelawalls
cómo se dice goldendoodle

I have been using the diccionario ingles español and have found that it has TONS of really great idioms and phrases. Plus, they have a really good word of the day email that includes any interesting ways to use a word. I also saw in the forum that they are planning on creating a community phrase/idiom book that users can add to. Seems pretty great to me. That's why I love that sight so much!
adelawalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Kirian 27
Novato

Default A mi me sirvió!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelawalls View Post
I have been using the diccionario ingles español and have found that it has TONS of really great idioms and phrases. Plus, they have a really good word of the day email that includes any interesting ways to use a word. I also saw in the forum that they are planning on creating a community phrase/idiom book that users can add to. Seems pretty great to me. That's why I love that sight so much!
A mi me sirvió una web donde concí gente de varios países. Te la recomiendo, a modo de ayudita:

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 21st December 2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: unauthorized URL posting removed
Kirian 27 is offline   Reply With Quote