Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 25th January 2010, 07:21 AM   #1
FutureGaditano
Forero

Default I LOVE Spanish tv

I spent some time in Spain last summer, and the tv programs were fascinating! Coming from the states where pretty much everything in primetime is a cop, lawyer, or doctor drama, or reality show, Spain was really different

I recently found some of my favorite shows on Youtube and have been watching them again. Callejeros and Andaluces por el Mundo were my favorites.

Heres a link to the youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/yobiendo
FutureGaditano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Grimace
Big and Purple

I absolutely agree with you. Perhaps to learn English American TV does the job, but I don't see any other merits it has for the most part.

I've heard foreigners criticise Spanish TV for having too many gossip programmes, but there are some really good shows that can help you learn Spanish and have good entertainment value. You just have to discover them and learn to avoid the rest.

My favourites are:

Aída
-- a sitcom about life in a working-class neighbourhood in Madrid (challenging for people who aren't accustomed to rapid and colloquial Spanish, but it's actually really funny). A lot funnier than most American sitcoms anyway.

Escenas de matrimonio -- a sitcom about 3 couples in different stages in their lives who spend most of their time fighting or insulting each other. Not even close to being as funny as Aída, but I find it's easier to understand the characters. Okay, most intelligent Spanish people probably think this one's actually total crap, but for me it has sentimental value because my goal when I arrived in Spain and first saw it on TV was to be able to understand this and after a few months I finally could.

España Directo
-- a magazine-style show where different reporters throughout the peninsula and in the islands present different stories of interest. This show is fantastic because the presenters speak very, very clearly (use this one as your baseline for figuring out how well you understand Spanish accents) and you get exposed to all the accents in all possible areas of Spain, because each location uses a local reporter. Plus you never get bored because they change story every 5 minutes or so. You can see the latest full episode every day here -- just scroll down to "Vuelve a ver el último program."

Madrileños por el mundo
-- a show where people from Madrid who have chosen to live overseas either permanently or semi-permanently are interviewed about how life is their particular corner of the globe. You get to learn about other countries and learn Spanish. Two for the price of one!

There's also Españoles por el mundo, Andaluces por el mundo, Aragoneses por el mundo, Castellano-Manchegos por el mundo (and possibly a few others) which are more or less the same deal.

21 días -- a reporter spends 21 days doing some activity and records her experience, whether it be working as an illegal immigrant, smoking cannabis, living in a shanty house . . . always quite interesting.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The best thing about Spanish TV is that for the most part you don't need a TV to watch it!

http://es.wwitv.com/ -- go to "países" and choose España.

Last edited by Grimace; 25th January 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:32 PM   #3
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Don't you find the sheer amount of ads the least bit off-putting?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:50 PM   #4
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Don't you find the sheer amount of ads the least bit off-putting?
You avoid them to a large extent on most of the links given.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:04 PM   #5
MCP
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
You avoid them to a large extent on most of the links given.
Yes, but those of us living here watch them - or don't watch them, in my case! - in real time, so this option isn't open to us.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:15 PM   #6
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Yes, but those of us living here watch them - or don't watch them, in my case! - in real time, so this option isn't open to us.
Surely if you have internet access, then yes, the option IS open to you? (In fact you have the better choice - watch the programme straight away, albeit with advertising breaks, or watch later on the net like the rest of us)

Also - there's supposed to have been a major reduction on advertising on the public channels TVE1 and TVE2. Perhaps someone could let us know if in fact this has taken place?

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/span...-TV_56586.html
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Grimace
Big and Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Also - there's supposed to have been a major reduction on advertising on the public channels TVE1 and TVE2. Perhaps someone could let us know if in fact this has taken place?

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/span...-TV_56586.html
Yes, it has indeed taken place. There are still interruptions, but only to promote other programmes on the same channel.

I've never found the ads on Spanish TV a problem. The difference between here and other places is maybe that they often show them all in one go between two programmes rather than at 10 or so minute intervals.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
MCP
Super Forero

The ads wouldn't be a problem if you knew more or less when they were ending.

Spanish TV would be better also if they kept to the scheduled start times, kept the credits on films etc., so you could actually read them, gave you the choice of subtitled rather than dubbed films, series and so on, not cancelled programmes or changed the date of them with hardly any or no warning, had chat programmes where one person talked at a time and not all together like squabbling kids, etc., etc...
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Spanish television is appalling. It is absolutely abysmal. "21 días" and occasionally "... por el mundo" are ok and watchable, but the rest is absolute sh*te.

And lets face it, a show about someone spending 21 days in someone else's shoes, and a show that is basically an excuse for Spanish expats to show off their excessively large houses is hardly ground-breaking stuff.

Even throw-away US shows such as CSI are light years ahead of anything produced in Spain.

Films on TVE 1 were ruined by advert breaks lasting up to 15 minutes, causing 2 hour films that started at 10pm to end well after 1am. It's a relief the adverts have now gone. So my current gripe has moved on to having the same sports events shown on 2 channels simultaneously (e.g. the same football matches and motorbike races on Telemadrid and Telesport, or La Sexta).

And MCP is spot on about the endless "tertulias" where everyone talks across each other, nobody gets to make their point without being interrupted every five seconds, and a conclusion is never ever reached.

The upside to all this crap TV is that at least it forces the Spanish to do something more worthwhile with their spare time.

Gripe over.

For now
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 06:22 PM   #10
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Yeah! But this week 21 days is about p*rn. The interview with the reporter in today's QUE was very interesting.

The movie channel "8" shows movies without interuption - and in dual language if you're having a problem.

Totally agree with Grimace's comments on Aida. It has been my favourite show since I first came to Spain. If you go to Carabanchel they all speak like Luisma!
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 04:13 AM   #11
FutureGaditano
Forero

The show that I thought was horrible, and only because it was just a weird idea for a show was the one where the camera was coming from the coffee machine in an office. Telecafe or something like that. Weird show.

The difference between spanish and american tv seems to be that the spanish shows are centered more around people and what their lives are like. American tv is all about people's jobs. We work all day and then come home and watch someone else work haha.
FutureGaditano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 08:44 AM   #12
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGaditano View Post
The show that I thought was horrible, and only because it was just a weird idea for a show was the one where the camera was coming from the coffee machine in an office. Telecafe or something like that. Weird show.
Apparently Camera Cafe is based on an original French TV show. It's a huge hit in Spain. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av9O9PN3vbM
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGaditano View Post

The difference between spanish and american tv seems to be that the spanish shows are centered more around people and what their lives are like. American tv is all about people's jobs. We work all day and then come home and watch someone else work haha.
Camera Cafe. My favourite. Only thing I watch on tv.

But it is popular not only in Spain. Also France, Italy, Poland, Ireland and Canada as far as I know.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
WesleyHH
Super Forero

En mi caso, me gusta ver las películas e las series en TVE Int. también el programa buenísima para aprendizaje de lengua española "Hola. ¿Qué tal?".
Me gusta tv vasca EiTB, especialmente me gustan las series de entretenimiento "Esto no es serio.¿O sí?","Vaya semanita", "Euscolegas" y quiz "Date el bote".
Para mí, es muy interesante el programa "Aragoneses por el mundo" o "Madrileños por el mundo".
WesleyHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
La Vaquera
Mega Forero

Location: El estado bello de California, que tiene una gran historia hispánica

¡Hola, WesleyHH! ¿Dónde has estado?
La Vaquera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 06:02 PM   #16
WesleyHH
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vaquera View Post
¡Hola, WesleyHH! ¿Dónde has estado?
Ja, ja ... ¡Hola mi amiga!
Ya estoy aquí y intentaré intensamente participar en las conversaciones .

Last edited by WesleyHH; 5th February 2010 at 08:40 AM.
WesleyHH is offline   Reply With Quote