Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 28th January 2010, 01:28 AM   #1
lwjl
Forero

Default London

I know a few of your Brits on the site. So maybe it's a warning. Time to flee. In their corporate wisdom, my employer decided to send me to London March 5th to the 12th. I'll be working at the Oceanology Trade Show but I bet I'll have some time for some sightseeing. Recommendations? Anybody close enough to want to meet? Thanks all. -Leslie
lwjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Hi!

Well I hope it's warmer then than now!
I don't live in London but I have a few points that may be of interest
- Your exhibition is in Docklands, so probably best to choose a hotel on that side of London (east). For example, Richmond would be a great place to stay, but unfortunately it's way to the west so is unviable unless you want to spend hours travelling every day
- try and get an Oyster card as soon as possible. Otherwise you'll be ripped off rotten by London transport.
- Greenwich is on that side of London and is well worth visiting if you have some free time.
- If you have free time in the evening, it may be worth going on one of the many walking tours that are available. You can go on a ghost walk, or a river pub walk etc. I can't recommend a specific operator, but a good google should help you in this respect.
- although tap water is normally fine in the UK, it tends to be poor quality in London. It's quoted as having passed through people's bodies 5 times already before you drink it. Maybe best to stick to bottled water?
- Suggestion for eating out - head to Brick Lane for a curry. Or head down to Lambeth/Stockwell for extremely good value Portuguese food.

Have a good time!
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

Sadly we're 200 miles away - is Jose making the trip too?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 01:07 PM   #4
lwjl
Forero

Wow. Thanks. This is really helpful. No Jose. He's saving vacation time for our next year's trip to Spain.

I think they have us staying in the Premier by Tower Hill though they may move us back to the expensive Crown Plaza because it's closer to the trade show.

Got to be warmer there than here. We're expecting two more feet of snow so anything has got to be an improvement.
Old 6th February 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

Yup the oyster card is a must - its an electronic ticket you swipe on and off at the station barriers - its important to swipe off as if you dont London transport just sucks the money out of the card for the max fare
Old 6th February 2010, 06:17 PM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Yup the oyster card is a must - its an electronic ticket you swipe on and off at the station barriers - its important to swipe off as if you dont London transport just sucks the money out of the card for the max fare
Wish I could go. Always wanted to check out London and the rest of the UK for that matter. I will have to settle for San Diego, CA as I'm flying out for software training tomorrow for one week, weather permitting.

Can one purchase the oyster card online and from the US?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 10:45 PM   #7
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Try here. What's the weather like where you are?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 02:37 AM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Try here. What's the weather like where you are?
Like springtime in England
Old 7th February 2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwjl
I think they have us staying in the Premier by Tower Hill though they may move us back to the expensive Crown Plaza because it's closer to the trade show.
I presume you are referring to the Premier Inn chain of budget hotels under the ownership of Whitbread PLC, of which there is one that I know of at London Tower Hill >>>>>

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/L...ity-tower-hill

I understand that English comedian, Lenny Henry swears by Premier Inns but then again, he is paid an obscene amount of money to publicly say so via the medium of British television. However, I can think of worse places to say in London for a week >>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jy4atEkGk

If you fancy a day out of London then go and have walk round the twin towns of Windsor & Eton >>>>>

http://wikitravel.org/en/Windsor_and_Eton

First off … get to Victoria Coach / Bus Station on Buckingham Palace Road. It’s far less complicated travelling to Windsor out of Victoria Coach / Bus Station than it is by train.

See GreenLine Bus Timetables for Routes 701 & 702 … best to aim for the 702 Greenline service being that the 702 stops nearer Windsor Castle that the 701 does >>>>>

http://www.greenline.co.uk/home/

London Eye … Cost of a Standard “Flight” >>>>>

http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndP...s/Default.aspx

London Eye … River Cruises >>>>>

http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndP...s/Default.aspx

And, for something entirely different and out-of-left-field … “Neasden” Temple >>>>>

http://www.mandir.org/

Please see “Visitor Information / Book a Visit” link for further information

Officially opened during August 1995, the Reader’s Digest list North London’s “Neasden” Temple as one of the 70 Wonders of the 20th Century. However, for reasons of religious and ethnic preferences, a visit might not be to the taste of some people. But for those us “locals” who have become familiar and comfortable with the diversity of modern-day London then it’s opportunity to glimpse the city from a different perspective.

Last edited by Sagitario; 8th February 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Sagitario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 03:02 PM   #10
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
theres no point - jusy poll up at any of the larger Tube stations n pay...
Old 15th February 2010, 05:48 PM   #11
lwjl
Forero

Thanks Sagitario from a Sagitarius!
Old 27th February 2010, 03:15 AM   #12
El Tifón
Forero

Premier Inn isn't bad at all... I was up in Chester for a friend's wedding last summer and I stayed at the one there, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and the breakfast fantastic! Just out of interest, what have you seen in London so far?

If you're still staying in Tower Hill you could wander across Tower Bridge to the area around City Hall (the glass building that looks like a motorcycle helmet and/or bug) - it has some really nice views and you can walk along the river towards Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern Museum. And if you're up for it you may as well continue across Millennium Bridge onto St. Paul's Cathedral. Weather permitting, this is a really nice walk and I did it quite a few times when I was living/working in London two years ago.

Here's a picture from my collection... it shows Millennium Bridge and St. Paul's. The clear sky was a bonus.

El Tifón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 03:07 AM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Well my wife departed this evening to the airport and will be en route shortly to Heathrow Airport. Be nice to her, UK.
Old 6th March 2010, 03:32 PM   #14
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Well my wife departed this evening to the airport and will be en route shortly to Heathrow Airport. Be nice to her, UK.

Woo hoo!! Party time in Silver Springs. I hope the burger joints are ready
Old 6th March 2010, 05:35 PM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post

Woo hoo!! Party time in Silver Springs. I hope the burger joints are ready
Time to break out the poker chips!!Gary, Eldeano, Richard and anyone who wants to get rid of their surplus cash are all invited to my place.
Old 6th March 2010, 05:40 PM   #16
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Time to break out the poker chips!!Gary, Eldeano, Richard and anyone who wants to get rid of their surplus cash are all invited to my place.
On my way.
Old 6th March 2010, 07:12 PM   #17
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
will see eldeano in Madrid on Friday and be with you Saturday (unless we get distracted)