Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 4th August 2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Lupine Chemist
Forero

Default Phone Compatability

Alright I'm budgeting for my move and I was wondering if a pre-paid locked phone i bought from Orange France about a year ago would work on Orange España?

It's an Alcatel OT-something super cheap slider.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 07:28 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

Orange Alcatel with tarjeta pre-paid for 19€. Or trade up to a Nokia for 49€.
A new sim will cost you 20€. If you really want to keep your phone take it along and ask them to try a Spanish sim before you buy. It's probably not worth paying to get it unlocked although you could explain you are moving country and they may do it for nothing.
There may be other cheaper tarifs available from other operators, depending on how you use it.
tarifas24.es allows you to compare prices (for other things as well)
mobiles here
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Ricardodaforce
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine Chemist View Post
Alright I'm budgeting for my move and I was wondering if a pre-paid locked phone i bought from Orange France about a year ago would work on Orange España?

It's an Alcatel OT-something super cheap slider.

If it's locked, it's locked to Orange France and won't accept an Orange España SIM card.
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
If it's locked, it's locked to Orange France and won't accept an Orange España SIM card.
When I bought my current PAYG Vodafone (UK) I tried my Spanish Vodafone Sim and it wouldn't work.

I contacted Vodafone Helpline : initially they said they wouldn't unlock free because I hadn't used it enough but as soon as I said that I needed to use the phone in Spain, they gave me the unlock code. I got the impression that they were probably obliged to do this free so that I wouldn't be denied use of their product. But of course didn't volunteer to make me aware of this until I pressed the point.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Lupine Chemist
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
When I bought my current PAYG Vodafone (UK) I tried my Spanish Vodafone Sim and it wouldn't work.

I contacted Vodafone Helpline : initially they said they wouldn't unlock free because I hadn't used it enough but as soon as I said that I needed to use the phone in Spain, they gave me the unlock code. I got the impression that they were probably obliged to do this free so that I wouldn't be denied use of their product. But of course didn't volunteer to make me aware of this until I pressed the point.
I think it's worth the money to just buy a new one rather than dealing in French since I never actually did to well with that language.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote