Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2010, 10:46 AM   #1
luke
luke
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London/Madrid
Posts: 11
Default moving to madrid, any tips on good areas?

It would be great to have some tips on good areas to live in central Madrid or around Madrid (maybe in the Sierra de Guadarrama?). We need somewhere relatively quiet, with access to good schools and relatively pretty/green.
If we're going to live far from the centre we need good connections in, for commuting. Our budget is probably in the mid range. Any ideas would be very welcome...
Thank you!
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Legazpi
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madrid (Arganzuela)
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
It would be great to have some tips on good areas to live in central Madrid or around Madrid (maybe in the Sierra de Guadarrama?). We need somewhere relatively quiet, with access to good schools and relatively pretty/green.
If we're going to live far from the centre we need good connections in, for commuting. Our budget is probably in the mid range. Any ideas would be very welcome...
Thank you!
It depends what you mean by mid-range prices, but if you want to be out of the centre of Madrid then the towns along the A6 corridor have the cercanias, fast buses and various schools:

e.g. Las Rozas, Majadahonda, Pozuelo, and Torrelodones

I've heard that the problem with living in these places is you don't feel like you are living in Madrid, and if you've just landed you may find it difficult to find things to do.

Further in to Madrid then places like Arturo Soria and Mirasierra are leafy, but they tend to be expensive.

Moratalaz has some relatively open spaces, and is not so pricey.

If you want your kids to go to an English school then, depending on their age, that may be more of a limiting factor.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
luke
luke
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London/Madrid
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
It depends what you mean by mid-range prices, but if you want to be out of the centre of Madrid then the towns along the A6 corridor have the cercanias, fast buses and various schools:

e.g. Las Rozas, Majadahonda, Pozuelo, and Torrelodones

I've heard that the problem with living in these places is you don't feel like you are living in Madrid, and if you've just landed you may find it difficult to find things to do.

Further in to Madrid then places like Arturo Soria and Mirasierra are leafy, but they tend to be expensive.

Moratalaz has some relatively open spaces, and is not so pricey.

If you want your kids to go to an English school then, depending on their age, that may be more of a limiting factor.
That's great info, thanks for that. I know Boadilla del Monte, which is near Pozuelo and it's not really my thing. Blocks and blocks of new duplexes, a bit too anonymous and characterless for me. I will look in detail at all the places you mention. Cheers.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Pippa
GigaForero
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Lorenzo del Escorial
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
It would be great to have some tips on good areas to live in central Madrid or around Madrid (maybe in the Sierra de Guadarrama?). We need somewhere relatively quiet, with access to good schools and relatively pretty/green.
If we're going to live far from the centre we need good connections in, for commuting. Our budget is probably in the mid range. Any ideas would be very welcome...
Thank you!

I see that you mentioned la Sierra de Guadarrama. There is a Montessori English School in Alpedrete. (for primery school children in Villalba as well).

The places I think that have more character are San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Torrelodones.

San Lorenzo is 50m-1h from Madrid but has buses every 15m, in rush hour every 5-10m. The train station is in the next village, El Escorial, but with a very big station car park which is free. Torrelodones is about 20-30m and has numerous buses as well as train. You may care also to look at Colmenarejo, has no train but numerous buses as well.

To give you an idea also of travel costs, buses from San Lorenzo cost €3.35, I think the train is about €3.30 one way, but there are monthly tickets.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Legazpi
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Madrid (Arganzuela)
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
That's great info, thanks for that. I know Boadilla del Monte, which is near Pozuelo and it's not really my thing. Blocks and blocks of new duplexes, a bit too anonymous and characterless for me. I will look in detail at all the places you mention. Cheers.
Yes, we're (still) looking to buy somewhere in Madrid and it's difficult to find an area with a right balance between open spaces and a bit of life. I didn't mention Boadilla because it doesn't have a decent train service: they have a light rail line (known locally as the "choo choo train") but apparently it is painfully slow.

However if you find places like that a bit dull anyway then maybe you should look further in. If you have kids then an "urbanización cerrada" with a pool might be a good option since you can let them run around freely, and they get to meet the other kids and make friends.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:44 PM   #6
luke
luke
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London/Madrid
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
I see that you mentioned la Sierra de Guadarrama. There is a Montessori English School in Alpedrete. (for primery school children in Villalba as well).

The places I think that have more character are San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Torrelodones.

San Lorenzo is 50m-1h from Madrid but has buses every 15m, in rush hour every 5-10m. The train station is in the next village, El Escorial, but with a very big station car park which is free. Torrelodones is about 20-30m and has numerous buses as well as train. You may care also to look at Colmenarejo, has no train but numerous buses as well.

To give you an idea also of travel costs, buses from San Lorenzo cost €3.35, I think the train is about €3.30 one way, but there are monthly tickets.
Thank you, that's really detailed information, just what we needed.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:47 PM   #7
luke
luke
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London/Madrid
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
Yes, we're (still) looking to buy somewhere in Madrid and it's difficult to find an area with a right balance between open spaces and a bit of life. I didn't mention Boadilla because it doesn't have a decent train service: they have a light rail line (known locally as the "choo choo train") but apparently it is painfully slow.

However if you find places like that a bit dull anyway then maybe you should look further in. If you have kids then an "urbanización cerrada" with a pool might be a good option since you can let them run around freely, and they get to meet the other kids and make friends.
Good luck with your home hunt and thanks again.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
BestGuestours
Novato
 
BestGuestours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default El Escorial

Hello
I am from Madrid, I suggested you El Escorial, it´s a small town but if you like the mountains you have Las machotas La horizontal very easy to walk to the pick. It´s very well connected by train and good schools.
I hope this helps.
BestGuestours is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.