Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 24th August 2010, 09:26 AM   #21
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Little point on the veré / veo thing.

I told my intercambio "Tú veré mañana" and she said the future wasn't necessary. So now I say "Tú veo mañana" and that is correct. Why! I don't know. That's what they say!
I checked this with my wife last night and she said that while "te veo mañana" is more commonly used, "te veré mañana" is still perfectly correct.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 02:35 PM   #22
JackMcG
El Chele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I didn't say that it wasn't. I was demonstrating how you can use both the future "Tomorrow, we'll go shopping" and the present "Tomorrow we are going shopping" to refer to the future.
Ah ya... ok.... I didn't catch it as a comparison and I wrote my post mostly with the people in mind on this site, whose first language is not english, to point out the difference. "Tomorrow we are going shopping" is actually present progressive tense but I agree that the present could be used in certain circumstances for the future in english as in "Tomorrow we shop!" or "Next week we go to Disneyworld!".
JackMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 05:27 PM   #23
LindaM
Forero

Default Back to lo, las etc

According to my Spanish teacher, le/les should be used when speaking about people, e.g. Le compré un libro - I bought him/her a book. But in spoken Spanish she often hears people here in Spain using lo/la etc - apparently quite acceptable but not grammatically correct. But then in English, our spoken English isn't always grammatically correct!
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Urgellenk
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I checked this with my wife last night and she said that while "te veo mañana" is more commonly used, "te veré mañana" is still perfectly correct.
Your wife is completely right. There is, however, as in English, a slight difference between "te veo" and "te veré". Using the present tense, you indicate that your are certain that the event will take place, while the future tense leaves room for a certain degree of uncertainty (inherent to any future situation).

The usage of these tenses in normal conversation differs between English and Spanish though. In English, we try to cover ourselves from the possibility that the event will not take place and will use "I'll see you tomorrow". In Spanish, we use "te veo mañana" because it is perceived as showing a higher degree of commitment to make it happen. Yet, the present tense is sometimes also used when the speaker knows perfectly that the event will never take place. Like when after a date somebody says "te llamo", knowing that that is never going to happen. Of course, it will not hurt the listener's feelings as much as a highly hypothetical "te llamaré".
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Urgellenk
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
According to my Spanish teacher, le/les should be used when speaking about people, e.g. Le compré un libro - I bought him/her a book. But in spoken Spanish she often hears people here in Spain using lo/la etc - apparently quite acceptable but not grammatically correct. But then in English, our spoken English isn't always grammatically correct!
I believe there must have been a small misunderstanding here. Le/les are used for all indirect objects, be they people, animals, plants or things.

Some people in some parts of Spain use "la" (laísmo) where "le" should be used. For instance, many people from Madrid will say "la" compré el libro (I gave her the book) instead of "le" compré el libro, because they also practice "leísmo" and the the "le" pronoun does not sound feminin to their ears. In theory, the phenomenon of "loísmo" also exists (using "lo" where "le" should be used), but it is so rare or maybe restricted to a certain area that I have never come across it.

"Laísmo" and "loísmo" are always considered as poor Spanish. Thus, the only correct form is "le compré el libro" (never "la" compré el libro - which you will often hear in parts of Spain - or "lo" compré el libro). On the other hand, in sentences like "I saw him yesterday" the most correct form should be "lo vi ayer" (as it is a direct object), but the use of "le vi ayer" is so widespread that it has become perfectly acceptable when referring to male persons. At least, the Academy of the Spanish Language accepts it as a valid form.

Last edited by Urgellenk; 24th August 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 10:03 PM   #26
yunouguaramin
IYKWIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgellenk View Post

Some people in some parts of Spain use "la" (laísmo) where "le" should be used. For instance, many people from Madrid will say "la" compré el libro (I gave her the book) instead of "le" compré el libro, because they also practice "leísmo" and the the "le" pronoun does not sound feminin to their ears. In theory, the phenomenon of "loísmo" also exists (using "lo" where "le" should be used), but it is so rare or maybe restricted to a certain area that I have never come across it.
La Espe, la 'monstrua del laísmo'...
It's a humor program and they exaggerate a lot, it's clear...

Quote:
"Laísmo" and "loísmo" are always considered as poor Spanish. Thus, the only correct form is "le compré el libro" (never "la" compré el libro - which you will often hear in parts of Spain - or "lo" compré el libro). On the other hand, in sentences like "I saw him yesterday" the most correct form should be "lo vi ayer" (as it is a direct object), but the use of "le vi ayer" is so widespread that it has become perfectly acceptable when referring to male persons. At least, the Academy of the Spanish Language accepts it as a valid form.
dios... I, and all the the people around here always would say 'le vi ayer', (or 'la vi ayer' if it's she) and though 'lo vi ayer' is perfectly understandable I thought it was the incorrect form...
yunouguaramin is offline   Reply With Quote