Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 30th August 2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

Default iphone and internet in Spain.

Q1 i have been living in malaga for about a year and a half now. i currently have a pay as you go phone which is quite costly i´m spend at least 40 euros a month. does anyone know of cheap tariffs for a contract iphone or similar spec? my friend said that movistar has reasonable offers.

Q2 also budget prices for internet wifi in the flat. is it always more expensive than the UK?

Finally Q3. what documentation do i need to get a mobile contract?

thanks guys any help most appreciated.
Davehodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Ricardodaforce
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehodgo View Post
Q1 i have been living in malaga for about a year and a half now. i currently have a pay as you go phone which is quite costly i´m spend at least 40 euros a month. does anyone know of cheap tariffs for a contract iphone or similar spec? my friend said that movistar has reasonable offers.

Q2 also budget prices for internet wifi in the flat. is it always more expensive than the UK?

Finally Q3. what documentation do i need to get a mobile contract?

thanks guys any help most appreciated.
The iPhone 4 is available on the 3 major networks, so you'll have plenty of choice when it comes to tariffs. BUT as you know it has TWO inherent faults and is una mierda. I'd suggest getting the HTC Desire, available from Movistar and Orange.

All you need is an NIE and bank account.

Last edited by Ricardodaforce; 31st August 2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Error!
Ricardodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
The iPhone 4 is available on the 3 major networks, so you'll have plenty of choice when it comes to tariffs. BUT as you know it has TWO inherent faults and is una mierda....
Mine's fine thanks...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Davehodgo
up the Rams!

do you mind sharing how much you have to pay on those guys
Davehodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 12:07 PM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehodgo View Post
do you mind sharing how much you have to pay on those guys
Not at all... but bear in mind i am in the UK

I took my iPhone4 with Tesco Mobile - believe me it was the best deal by far...its still says O2 on the phone so I guess tesco piggybacks on their network

The options were:

24 month contract £35 per month : 750 minutes free, unlimited text messages and 1Gb of data. The up front charge for the handset was £19 - yes that's right, nineteen pounds

12 month contract £35 per month : 750 minutes, unlimited texts 1Gb data with an up front charge of £229

I opted for the latter as I already had an iPhone 3G which I sold for £180

Wifi access is unlimited and you have access to public wifi via BT Openzone hot spots

£45 contracts were available with the same sort of cash outlay up front but unlimited talk time

The drawback to this particular contract is that picture messages are 25p each - this doesn't affect me as I don't send them

The data allowance is plenty for email blogging and normal use, I have never exceeded 20Mb in total (up + down) but i wouldn't download a film - though at less than 0.5Gb you could and have plenty to spare.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Ricardodaforce
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Mine's fine thanks...

I detect a certain sarcasm there. I wasn't just offering an uneducated opinion I was talking about two facts that Apple themselves have acknowledged. The first being the antennagate radio reception issue, the second being the badly-functioning proximity sensor. The latter was expected to be addressed with the latest iteration of iOS4, but wasn't.

I am pleased that you are happy with your mobile, but that does not change the fact it is a flawed device.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:49 PM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero

You might be interested in Telefonica's latest proposals to do away with unrestricted data for their mobile users. See news article
Telefónica plantea el fin de la tarifa plana

La operadora propone contratos de ADSL ajustados al consumo de banda ancha de cada usuario para que pague más quien más consuma

Seems like it is all YouTube's fault
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardodaforce View Post
I detect a certain sarcasm there. I wasn't just offering an uneducated opinion I was talking about two facts that Apple themselves have acknowledged. The first being the antennagate radio reception issue, the second being the badly-functioning proximity sensor. The latter was expected to be addressed with the latest iteration of iOS4, but wasn't.

I am pleased that you are happy with your mobile, but that does not change the fact it is a flawed device.

No sarcasm....

Really, i have experienced neither of these problems, sure I could make the phone mis behave once I knew how. if I held it in the prescribed manner and squeezed it into my palm very tightly i could make the bars drop but I would never have noticed it unless there had been no publicity about it.

They changed the latency on their signal strength algorithm and recalibrated the bars indicator as well as supplying me with a free £25 case. Sorted...

The proximity thing I have not experienced in any way, nor can i reproduce the effect.

The real issue is that Apple does set itself up as the provider of top quality equipment, and my experience over 30 or more years is that they do what they say.

When they occasionally falter, and they occasionally do, the whole world screams

"See, told you not to get Apple stuff, you should have bought the same cheap crap that we bought."

My experience is that Apple stuff has a higher build quality than most of the competition and that their equipment goes on working for longer with fewer breakdowns as well as holding its resale value.

We have 3 iMacs, 2 Macbook Pros, 1 Macbook, 3 iPhones4s, an iPhone3G and 2 iPads and they all work seamlessly together. I dont need an engineer to keep them running and connected. Yesterday I plugged my iPad into the TV in the living room and streamed a movie over the wireless networkfrom the hard drive in the office. All I had to do was plug in the Connector and the audio leads and select PC from the Source menu on the TV. It just works - first time every time.

Is the Apple experience worth the premium price?

It is in my house, everyone else can please themselves.
Old 31st August 2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Ricardodaforce
Forero

Like you, I like Apple stuff. In the UK I had the iPhone 3G. Here I use a MacBook Pro, an iPod Classic, and an iPod Touch. I just wouldn't buy the iPhone 4 unless they re-engineer it. Instead I went for an HTC Legend which is a beautiful device that complements the MacBook Pro beautifully.

I do admit that I am saddened at how Apple's attitude has changed of late. The "Antenna-gate" press conference was just a joke and (in my opinion) demonstrated a real disregard for their customers. They made it worse by continuing to add videos of competitor devices allegedly demonstrating the effects of the "death grip". Thankfully, when they could see what a PR disaster they were making they removed the videos.

When I lived in the UK I ran mobile phone stores so know something of the business. Of course matching a device to a customer's needs is the secret, and in all honesty I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the iPhone 4 given its inherent issues. My mobile is good, but my wife's is even better. She's got the HTC Desire, which really is an awesome device.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:27 PM   #10
gary
Samuri Forero

I accept all that you say but I own an iPhone 4 and the well publicised issues you mention have not affected my experience of using the phone as a phone...
The iMovie app is an example of how different and outstanding the phone is. I spent an. Hour walking round Valencia taking video and still images, within another hour I was able to edit, add a soundtrack and publish it to YouTube whilst on a train...awesome. The blogpress app is amazing. The booking.com app saved me £30 on my way to London last week. Email, web, video camera and editing suite, turn bu tirn sat nav, still camera, scanner, online file management, pedometer, Spanish/English dictionary, interactive metro guides to Madrid and Barcelona as well as the mundane stuff like mp3 player, alarm clock, scientific calculator, voice recorder.... It's phone ? Not really it's platform that makes phone calls .... It actually saves me toting a laptop with me so, my needs are not specifically in the text/talktime arena

Last edited by gary; 31st August 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
I accept all that you say but I own an iPhone 4 and the well publicised issues you mention have not affected my experience of using the phone as a phone...
The iMovie app is an example of how different and outstanding the phone is. I spent an. Hour walking round Valencia taking video and still images, within another hour I was able to edit, add a soundtrack and publish it to YouTube whilst on a train...awesome. The blogpress app is amazing. The booking.com app saved me £30 on my way to London last week. Email, web, video camera and editing suite, turn bu tirn sat nav, still camera, scanner, online file management, pedometer, Spanish/English dictionary, interactive metro guides to Madrid and Barcelona as well as the mundane stuff like mp3 player, alarm clock, scientific calculator, voice recorder.... It's phone ? Not really it's platform that makes phone calls .... It actually saves me toting a laptop with me so, my needs are not specifically in the text/talktime arena
Thanks for the great review, I have an iPhone 3GS but have to wait on my current contract (US carierer). Can the iPhone 4s be unlocked to work on other firms?
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 10:44 PM   #12
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
Thanks for the great review, I have an iPhone 3GS but have to wait on my current contract (US carierer). Can the iPhone 4s be unlocked to work on other firms?
It can in the uk but I am nit sure if the exclusivity with AT&T will continue in the us - here we can chose from orange, O2, Vodaphone an tMobile. Mine is with tesco - a supermarket - but runs on O2. Network.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:03 PM   #13
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Gary - did you do those last two posts on your iPhone?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 11:32 PM   #14
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Gary - did you do those last two posts on your iPhone?
In the armchair in front of the TV on my iPad - which I don't need but I wanted one
This however is being posted on my iPhone
Old 1st September 2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
It can in the uk but I am nit sure if the exclusivity with AT&T will continue in the us - here we can chose from orange, O2, Vodaphone an tMobile. Mine is with tesco - a supermarket - but runs on O2. Network.

Yes currently in the US its only via Yes currently in the US its only via AT&T (thanks MaBell) and at their request the phone is locked. I got a small device where I can place sim chips in (with this device) from other companies. But I am not sure if this works for the iPhone4 models (most likely not).

There was talk of the iphone going to another wireless firm but this doesn't look likely at all.

Last edited by Acosta; 1st September 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 02:42 AM   #16
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Apple's contract with ATT is up for renewal in 2011. I read several stories where Verizon will emerge as a new alternative to AT&T. Here's one. I will wait until that dust settles in 2011 before I opt for the reference standard of smart phones, the iPhone 4.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 07:58 AM   #17
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
We have 3 iMacs, 2 Macbook Pros, 1 Macbook, 3 iPhones4s, an iPhone3G and 2 iPads and they all work seamlessly
Blooming heck! Presumably there's an open invitation to call round at Steve's house anytime you're passing Cupertino.

I've just got an old iMac and an iPod touch.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 12:09 PM   #18
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
We have 3 iMacs, 2 Macbook Pros, 1 Macbook, 3 iPhones4s, an iPhone3G and 2 iPads.
Did you forget the Time Capsule?

A little off topic; I'm currently taking a computer security course through the Learning Tree and have an instructor from Yorkshire. I feel the slight temptation to ask if he knows you.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 04:06 PM   #19
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post

A little off topic; I'm currently taking a computer security course through the Learning Tree and have an instructor from Yorkshire. I feel the slight temptation to ask if he knows you.
That would be Childish!
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 09:07 PM   #20
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
We have a Tb onsite - important stuff offsite backup!!

Quote:
Find out more... Im intrigued!!!

Anyway, I presume your mooted visit to Leeds to sort out the NHS computers is grounded?
[rant]

From personal experience with my 3 octogenarians they could do with some help joining the dots... one department has somebody as an in patient when another sends transport back home to pick them up for and outpatient appointment. And God forbid that the previous three years of notes might be reviewed by whichever medic presents himself in front of mum, uncle or auntie today!!

Clearly the notes seem not to be for reference but for butt covering purposes...

[/rant]

Our sysyem would be fantastic if it were efficient (its fantastic anyway, just frustrating having the same conversation with each separate professional involved in their cases)

Last edited by gary; 1st September 2010 at 09:10 PM.