Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 30th November 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Default Numpty at the match

One of the reasons for learning Spanish was so I could understand the radio commentary on Spanish football matches. I haven’t regretted it.

However, it wasn’t just a matter of learning ‘normal’ Spanish, I had to immerse myself in the teams, players, coaches and grounds, both past and present; and the football-specific vocabulary.

I have found it so rewarding. I have been able to sit and chat with Spanish supporters about allsorts of football-related matters – reading AS and Marca has helped.

One thing I have never got to grips with is the culture of nut eating and shell spitting. I would appreciate anyone out there giving me an in-depth guide about which nuts I need to buy and the correct way in which to eat them and dispose of the shells in the accepted manner.

In fact, I’m quite happy to kick off a thread covering such matters that would enhance the football experience (if it hasn’t already been done). I remember my first time at the Bernabéu (dull 0-0 versus Athletic) when the scores and scorers at other matches were shown. One goalscorer had PP after his name which, thanks to the guy beside me, I discovered meant propia puerta (own goal).

Another is that you don’t refer to Real Madrid as Real, it’s Madrid. If you say Real that’s Real Sociedad.

Are there other experiences out there that you’d wish to share?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 04:40 PM   #2
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post

Another is that you don’t refer to Real Madrid as Real, it’s Madrid. If you say Real that’s Real Sociedad.
Or just "Los Blancos".
There are a few football nuts here, even one supporting Tenerife.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 05:02 PM   #3
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Or even el equipo merengue
Old 30th November 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
rod
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Or just "Los Blancos".
There are a few football nuts here, even one supporting Tenerife.

¡Viva er Beti manque pierda!
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Tali
Forero

Default Nuts

Start with sunflower seeds, they are the easiest! I couldn't understand how the Spanish split them and sucked out the seed so effortlessly until my cousins gave me a masterclass in it. But difficult to explain online! How in-depth do you want the description?!?!
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 09:59 AM   #6
eldeano
He's the most tip top

The more in-depth the better - I don't want to appear more of a numpty than I am already. Give it to me blow by blow.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Hernández Fiendish
Forero Senior

Sunflower seeds are called PIPAS in Spanish and they are indeed ubiquitous in Spanish grounds. I was at Man U - Valencia once and was most amused to find the ground in the away end covered in shells on the way out. There is definitely a knack to eating them, I find them not worth the effort but it beats smoking I suppose.

There's a Tenerife fan here somwhere, he has a nice site going which includes a glossary of Spanish football terms which might be of interest to you:
http://www.andywoolley.zen.co.uk/Spanish.htm
Hernández Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 01:41 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Was that the Man U 1-1 Valencia in 2001 with Wes Brown's spectacular PP? I was there, too.

I want to know the knack of eating las pipas (amongst other things).
Old 1st December 2006, 02:16 PM   #9
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Was that the Man U 1-1 Valencia in 2001 with Wes Brown's spectacular PP? I was there, too.

I want to know the knack of eating las pipas (amongst other things).
I did find some ready peeled and chocolate coated ones! Probably not look so macho in the stands though as spitting seeds out
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 02:52 PM   #10
Hernández Fiendish
Forero Senior

[quote=eldeano;12250]Was that the Man U 1-1 Valencia in 2001 with Wes Brown's spectacular PP? I was there, too.[quote]

Yep, that one. Great performance by Valencia. I did notice a couple of eejits wearing R*** M***** gear, hope you weren't one of them!
Old 1st December 2006, 04:26 PM   #11
eldeano
He's the most tip top

[quote=Hernández Fiendish;12255]
Quote:
Was that the Man U 1-1 Valencia in 2001 with Wes Brown's spectacular PP? I was there, too.[quote]

Yep, that one. Great performance by Valencia. I did notice a couple of eejits wearing R*** M***** gear, hope you weren't one of them!
Nope - we had United stuff on.

I see you can't use the R and M words. Is that as a result of last weekend's performance or is it something more permanent? By the way, just what is going on with Quique and Carboni?
Old 3rd December 2006, 05:58 PM   #12
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernández Fiendish View Post
Sunflower seeds are called PIPAS in Spanish and they are indeed ubiquitous in Spanish grounds. I was at Man U - Valencia once and was most amused to find the ground in the away end covered in shells on the way out. There is definitely a knack to eating them, I find them not worth the effort but it beats smoking I suppose.

There's a Tenerife fan here somwhere, he has a nice site going which includes a glossary of Spanish football terms which might be of interest to you:
http://www.andywoolley.zen.co.uk/Spanish.htm
So, just who are Ponferradina? I see they beat the mighty Tenerife this weekend.
Old 3rd December 2006, 06:00 PM   #13
eldeano
He's the most tip top

[quote=Hernández Fiendish;12255]
Quote:
Was that the Man U 1-1 Valencia in 2001 with Wes Brown's spectacular PP? I was there, too.[quote]

HF - another defeat, and at Recre! Is Quique on his way?
Old 3rd December 2006, 06:12 PM   #14
Hernández Fiendish
Forero Senior

Before I even set foot in Spain I hated Real Madrid. I read about Ultras Sur and "Franco's team" and all that. Although I now appreciate things are not quite that black and white, there is no doubt that RM represent the Spanish establishment. What pisses me off more is the way every armchair gloryhunter in Spain "supports" them (or Barcelona) and consequently the sports media focuses on them to the detriment of "provincial" clubs and hence the status quo is reinforced.

Valencia are in a real state, the incredible injury list hasn't helped but the Carboni-Quique row is maybe more damaging. We've had plenty of manager vs technical director rows over the years but this seems the worst. The thing is in Spain managers coach the players and pick the XI and do the matchday stuff but someone else is usually in charge of signing players which inevitably leads to conflict.

Ponferradina are from Ponferrada in Leon. This is their first year in Segunda.

Last edited by Hernández Fiendish; 3rd December 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 3rd December 2006, 06:24 PM   #15
eldeano
He's the most tip top

I've always supported Madrid in Spain - I was dragged along to a few games by a mad Iberia (the airline) station manager. It was only later when I looked into their history that I discovered the Franco connection. I was aware of the Ultras Sur, I think it was after they delayed the start to the Madrid-Borussia Dortmund 1998 CL semifinal by destroying the goal (?).

I've been round the Mestalla when I spent a few days in Valencia with my lad and always want them to do well (ish). I had a good chat with Hector Cuper and Pablo Aimar when they came to Manchester for that CL match and it was nice that they both were happy to spend the time. I thought they'd have a good year this year but the papers and radio (El Larguero - Cadena Ser) like to concentraye on the rift.

Will Villa end up at Chelsea next month? They say Shevchenko's on his way.

Didn't I hear some talk about a new stadium?
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:45 PM   #16
rod
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernández Fiendish View Post
Valencia are in a real state, the incredible injury list hasn't helped but the Carboni-Quique row is maybe more damaging. We've had plenty of manager vs technical director rows over the years but this seems the worst. The thing is in Spain managers coach the players and pick the XI and do the matchday stuff but someone else is usually in charge of signing players which inevitably leads to conflict.
Try being a Betis fan: in the relegation places; the fans calling for 'majority shareholder' Manuel Ruiz de Lopera to 'vete ya', but Lopera still a virtual dictator at the club with no intention of going; a presidential election imminent that at the moment has no candidates standing; a continuing feud in the press between Lopera and previous manager Serra Ferrer; the current manager Irureta's job under threat; and a long list of injuries (having recently sold and not replaced two key players). Still, as I posted above, 'Viva er Beti manque pierda'.
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:02 PM   #17
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
Try being a Betis fan: in the relegation places; the fans calling for 'majority shareholder' Manuel Ruiz de Lopera to 'vete ya', but Lopera still a virtual dictator at the club with no intention of going; a presidential election imminent that at the moment has no candidates standing; a continuing feud in the press between Lopera and previous manager Serra Ferrer; the current manager Irureta's job under threat; and a long list of injuries (having recently sold and not replaced two key players). Still, as I posted above, 'Viva er Beti manque pierda'.
What did Betis do with the money they got for Joaquin?
Old 6th December 2006, 08:09 PM   #18
rod
Mega Forero

Quote:
What did Betis do with the money they got for Joaquin?
Who knows where any money goes with Spanish football clubs? Odonkor, Sobis, Vogel and Wagner came in to compensate for the loss of Joaquin and Oliviera, but there should still have been some change for the €24-25m as far as I can see.
Old 30th December 2006, 10:00 PM   #19
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Another thing I find confusing, both on Spanish radio and in the sports press, is the way the Spanish say 'lost to' and 'beaten by'. I alluded to one example in another thread (Numpty and his books) but, for example, where I would say 'lost against' - perdió contra, the Spaniards say perdió al.

So, could somebody please assist with the following?

Valencia beat Zaragoza 1-0
Valencia were beaten 1-0 by Zaragoza
Valencia lost 1-0 to Zaragoza
Valencia drew 1-1 with Zaragoza
Valencia won 1-0 against Zaragoza
Valencia stuffed (goleó?) Zaragoza 5-0
Valencia were stuffed (goleado) by Zaragoza

and any more that you can think of
Old 24th January 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
eldeano
He's the most tip top

I hear that Samuel E'too has returned to light training. With Barca stuttering of late, will his return be just the tonic they need to see off Liverpool in the CL and move ahead in la Liga?