Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments

Notices

Old 16th January 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Notes in Spanish Intermediate 15 - Cambio Climático

Listen here and pick up the worksheet here

¿Crees que la acción del hombre tiene que ver con el cambio climático?

Last edited by Ben; 1st June 2007 at 10:07 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Listen here and pick up the worksheet here

N.B. The worksheet for this podcast completes a new worksheet packworksheets for podcasts 11 to 15.

including
¿Crees que la acción del hombre tiene que ver con el cambio climático?
Claro que si. La diferencia de antes y ahora es que los humanos estan causando los cambios climaticos con mas prisa que nunca. Tienes que ver la peli An Inconvenient Truth por Al Gore, y entonces tu me diras. Por cierto no se va corregir como antes.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Default La Realidad:"An Inconvenient Truth"

[¿Crees que la acción del hombre tiene que ver con el cambio climático?[/quote]
Después escuchar este podcast tengo de comentar que.:
1. El mundo NO "es grande"; al contrario se pone más y más pequeñito; todo es conectado.
2. Si tengas dudas sobre los cambios climáticos mira la pellicula de Al Gore "An Inconvenient Truth". ¡Mirala!, por favor.
Ben y Marina - recuerdáis la tarjeta de Navidad que os he entregado - quiero compartárla con todos porque se trata esta tema.....
http://pol.moveon.org/cards/ Haz un clic allí en el enlace: "Save White Winters, Preview this Card".
Espero que este enlace todavía funciona.
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Exclamation Alertas y Alarmas: ¿Estamos escuchando?

Soy "Cassandra" otra vez:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...117climate.php
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6270871.stm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...8MN3J3G1.shtml

Supongo que hay ellos que nunca escucharán los advertencias.
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Jules
Forerito sonriente

The problem with this emotive subject is that the science of understanding and predicting climate is still in its infancy. Although there is clear evidence that the burning of fossil fuels creates some measurable effects, the science is still some way behind proving or disproving the various scenarios. All these scenarios about how different parts of the world will be affected are based on mathematical models which feed in different assumptions which may or may not be accurate.
For example one scenario is that if the arctic ice melts, the Golf stream (North Atlantic drift) will stop flowing and Britain will become a much colder place than it is now.

Another point is that the variations in climate over the last 25 years or so are almost insignificant compared to changes that have occurred over longer periods.

So like Ben, I am still not convinced that doomsday is as imminent as many jounalists and politicians will have us believe (but its very handy supposition for introducing 'environmental' taxes from moral high ground).

Much talk is made of carbon emissions etc & recycling but I think a more important reason for recycling is to reduce contamination of the environment from chemicals, radioactivity and all waste in general. The consequences of contamination may affect us before those of climate change.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

I just saw An Inconvenient Truth, and have changed my point of view somewhat. Though I still don't believe that we are on the verge of major catastrophes, I see that man is indeed responsible for the global warming we are seeing now (rather than it being a cyclic upwards trend in temperature) and that it is bound to have a negative effect if not checked.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 07:30 PM   #7
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
I just saw An Inconvenient Truth,

I see that man is indeed responsible
One inconvenient truth that is scarcely ever mentioned is the relentless increase in world population. That is one of the main reasons for the increase of CO2 emissions.

Population has increased from about 4 billion in 1980 to about 6.5 billion today. It is predicted to rise to 7.6 billion by 2020
Old 20th January 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Dave_K
Super Forero

Quote:
I just saw An Inconvenient Truth, and have changed my point of view somewhat. Though I still don't believe that we are on the verge of major catastrophes, I see that man is indeed responsible for the global warming we are seeing now (rather than it being a cyclic upwards trend in temperature) and that it is bound to have a negative effect if not checked.
I too became a convert after seeing that movie (or, rather, first became aware of the gravity of the situation). One promising thing is the point Gore makes about the ozone layer. We broke it, but then essentially fixed it by understanding and appreciating the problem and then changing our behavior accordingly. As dire as the global warming/greenhouse gas situation may be currently (or projected to be), perhaps it can also be fixed over the next couple of decades if we make some serious changes.
Dave_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 11:32 PM   #9
rod
Mega Forero

Just come in to write this from being out in a full-blown thunderstorm, one powerful enough to set off car alarms etc, thunder, lightning, hailstones the lot. I don't remember a thunderstorm in January or anytime close in this part of the world before. Something is definitely going on.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 02:35 PM   #10
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
One inconvenient truth that is scarcely ever mentioned is the relentless increase in world population. That is one of the main reasons for the increase of CO2 emissions.

Population has increased from about 4 billion in 1980 to about 6.5 billion today. It is predicted to rise to 7.6 billion by 2020
And this overcrowding causes social problems as well. Maybe time for a rethink about the right to breed in an uncontrolled manner! (Duck to avoid the flack)
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 03:04 PM   #11
DocMolly
Molita

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
And this overcrowding causes social problems as well. Maybe time for a rethink about the right to breed in an uncontrolled manner! (Duck to avoid the flack)
It's funny you say that, because in the 9th grade I wrote an essay about a lisense to have children...something for which you'd need to apply. This would entail some method of temporary sterilization...and of course, this is NOT politically correct in most people's eyes. Also it would probably lead to discrimination in some shape or form. I guess we just have to do what we can to promote planned parenthood and adoption. Oh, and there's always the choice NOT to have kids, which my personal favorite.

Last edited by DocMolly; 21st January 2007 at 03:32 PM.
DocMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
In the mean time, our governments are trying to persuade us we should have more children and more immigrants to pay for our old age pensions. But this will only be a short-term solution because the same problem will present itself in the next generation, and we'll also have a huge overcrowding problem on our hands. Maybe the time has come for all of us to rethink matters and to simply set aside some money while we are still working? IMO all women should also be working, like in Scandinavia where they have excellent day care centers. This would also help pay for our pensions without the need for even more overcrowding.

Holland, which is the size of New Jersey, now has got 16 million inhabitants, pollution is rampant in the Western part of Holland, the railroad system sucks and many families have got two cars!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:33 AM   #13
theo
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

The growth in population is THE problem. If we cut CO2 emissions in half but world population doubles in the next 20 (?) years, the problem will only get worse!
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 12:16 PM   #14
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
The growth in population is THE problem.
There's one way!

eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 01:44 PM   #15
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
There's one way!

A new logo for "Cut out emissions" ?
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 03:39 AM   #16
Patty
Forero

Unhappy global warming

He visto las peliculas, he leido unos articulos y he hablado con los expertos. La mayoria de los scientificos en el mundo estan de acuerdo sobre el problema. Este no era hace muchos anos. Pero, ahora han visto los cientificos los esudios y han visto los cambios en la clima. Todo el mundo expecialment los del parte desarollada deben hacer algo differente - y inmediatamente. Aun si les cambian hoy el problema llevara 40 anos a arreglarse. Durante estos anos perderemos 40% de los animales en el mundo.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Watching Day After Tomorrow on Channel 4 as I sit at my computer (More like War of the Worlds & Independence Day rolled into a giant Hollywood cliché).

Anyone who suspects that global warming theorists are a touch fatalistic could read the following:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1363818.ece
Old 12th February 2007, 06:23 AM   #18
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Anyone who has studied the cycles in the age of the Earth, as I have as a geologist, will know that "Global Warming" (and cooling) is nothing new. Natural phenomena such as volcanos spew much more CO2 into the atmosphere than man. Likewise, the sea converts far more of that CO2 into oxygen than the rain forests. What we are living through is a natural cycle of the earth's life and politicians and Greenpeace will have no more success in stopping it than Don Quixote's charge at the windmills.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 12:58 PM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Anyone who has studied the cycles in the age of the Earth, as I have as a geologist, will know that "Global Warming" (and cooling) is nothing new. Natural phenomena such as volcanos spew much more CO2 into the atmosphere than man. Likewise, the sea converts far more of that CO2 into oxygen than the rain forests. What we are living through is a natural cycle of the earth's life and politicians and Greenpeace will have no more success in stopping it than Don Quixote's charge at the windmills.
2500 scientists (renown experts in global climate) would disagree with the notion that its business as usual, that the changes fall within the parameters of normal climate activity and as such, the changes will be self-corrected. The oceans are less and less capable of absorbing CO2. With rising averages of global temperature, sea-level rise it is an exacerbation with humans at the root cause. The petroleum industry would like us all to believe otherwise.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 02:13 PM   #20
Jules
Forerito sonriente

[quote=ValenciaSon;17514]2500 scientists (renown experts in global climate) would disagree /quote]

So what percentage of the total number of environmental scientists does that represent?

However, the answer is immaterial because its not opinions that matter --- its scientific facts that do. Scientific facts do not require agreement. They are independent of it. The only thing that can be truly agreed without doubt is that further research is required to understand the mechanism of climatic variation.