Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Other Matters > Forum Admin and News

Notices

Old 5th June 2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Notes in Spanish site changes and news!

Hi all, just to let you know about a couple of changes at Notes in Spanish. First of all the site has a new homepage so that new people can have a better idea of what the site is about rather than just being presented with the latest random blog post. Apparently people like to know very very quicky and easily what a site is about when they first land there and we hope this will make things clearer.

You can check out the new design at notesinspanish.com - the blog continue but there is a new link to it in the top navigation of the site. If your browser looks like it is doing crazy things with the design then please do let me know (unless you are running a 5 year old version of Linux with Netscape 4.1 )

There is more news coming in the next day or so, and huge big hint about that on the new home page
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero

p.s. the forum picture at the bottom of the homepage is obviously from the GME - if anyone in the picture recognises themselves and objects please let me know and I will change it.

p.p.s. it, like all sites on the net, looks a million times better with firefox - which is also a million times more secure than Internet Explorer - Get Firefox!

Last edited by Ben; 5th June 2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 5th June 2007, 05:09 PM   #3
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
p.s. the forum picture at the bottom of the homepage is obviously from the GME - if anyone in the picture recognises themselves and objects please let me know and I will change it.
Hrummph! My other shoulder is far more photogenic
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 05:17 PM   #4
eldeano
He's the most tip top

It would have looked better with a cat in it.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
que
Super Forero

Excellent stuff Guys!

Front page is nice and clear, and now that you are doing the beginner side of things is great. Now you will really have the complete learning experience which can only complement your hard work to date. Im sure it will attract many more people. I'm sure most people only learn Spanish to a basic level, so if you can capture that audience (and hopefully provide them the will to continue) then great.

good luck.
que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

Thanks Que. We are very interested to see what happens I can tell you. We know that this level is very different by nature to what we have done before. As the name suggests we hope to help the inspired beginner who also is really motivated to help themselves. Let's see what happens tomorrow or thursday when we have it all ready!
Old 5th June 2007, 05:31 PM   #7
karena
Super Forero

Looks great and very smart about adding a beginner level.

Karen
karena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 05:31 PM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
There is more news coming in the next day or so, and huge big hint about that on the new home page
Er... beats me. Is it that you've got a tie-in with the New York Times?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 06:15 PM   #9
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Well you know the motto of the finest newspaper in the world: "All the news that's fit to print".
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
we wish... although we have indeed appeared there with reference to our podding prowess!
Old 5th June 2007, 06:39 PM   #11
Palmerito
El Perro

The new homepage looks great! I will also investigate your recommendation re: firefox. My hunch is that with the addition of the beginner section, your web traffic will grow enormously. Good job as usual, Ben and Marina.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Ben
Hero Forero

Thanks. The level is new to us but we think we have found a good format - we have prerecorded the first few shows and then will be looking for lots of feedback to see what changes people would like to see.
Old 5th June 2007, 08:02 PM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The web page looks great! At the moment I'm using MS Exploder because I'm at my client's site but once I get back home, I'll be back to firefox.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:53 PM   #14
dwrd73
Forero

¡Excelente! ¡Qué bueno! ¡Fabuloso! What else can I say!

It was like Christmas morning. I woke up turned on my computer and WOW! I was surprised to see a great looking web page and a new beginner level. How exciting! Ben & Marina, you both are awesome. I love the name too, "Inspired Beginners." Keep it up.
dwrd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

Love the new layout. Very professional as always, and sure to bring more people into the site.

Not so sure about this Firefox business though. I've just installed it, and there's no way it looks better than (boring old, insecure) Internet Explorer. The fonts in IE are smoother and the finger-scroll on my laptop touchpad jerks badly in Firefox, but glides nicely in IE. They're just the first 2 things I've noticed in the first minute though. I'll stick with it a bit longer... a ver que pasa...
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 11:06 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

I applaud the changes but I worry that the word 'worksheet' doesnt explan to the new visitor about the full transcript - the greatest value of the transcript is in the fact that by reading along whilst listening you can unlock the rhythm of the spoken word so much do that it makes listening without the benefit of a transcript - ie real life - so much easier...(imho)
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
Love the new layout. Very professional as always, and sure to bring more people into the site.

Not so sure about this Firefox business though. I've just installed it, and there's no way it looks better than (boring old, insecure) Internet Explorer. The fonts in IE are smoother and the finger-scroll on my laptop touchpad jerks badly in Firefox, but glides nicely in IE. They're just the first 2 things I've noticed in the first minute though. I'll stick with it a bit longer... a ver que pasa...
Try installing a couple of extentsions, like Foxy Tunes (so you can control your music from in the browser) and the Spanish dictionary (instant spell check while writing forum posts - the Eglish one is useful too!) - might help convince you! More here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I applaud the changes but I worry that the word 'worksheet' doesnt explan to the new visitor about the full transcript - the greatest value of the transcript is in the fact that by reading along whilst listening you can unlock the rhythm of the spoken word so much do that it makes listening without the benefit of a transcript - ie real life - so much easier...(imho)
Hmmm, I do see your point, but I think that we try to explain that further as you go deeper into the site, and in the FAQ. Point taken though, I'll definitely think about that.
Old 6th June 2007, 08:55 AM   #18
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Try installing a couple of extentsions, like Foxy Tunes (so you can control your music from in the browser) and the Spanish dictionary (instant spell check while writing forum posts - the Eglish one is useful too!) - might help convince you! More here too...
I couldn't live without Adblock! A photo forum I visit regularly has all manner of looping, flashing ads, it's the only way I can use the site. There's now not a single ad on the site. When I have viewed the site with IE, I wonder how people can put up with all that intrusive advertising.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 09:08 AM   #19
guapo
Mega Forero

great site design Ben! I love the simple, clean layout with everything fitting on a single page. Not sure how you managed to get a picture of Pepino without a drink in his hand though?
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 09:41 AM   #20
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

Quote:
I'll give it a go tonight when I get home, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
Not sure how you managed to get a picture of Pepino without a drink in his hand though?
I know! The things you can do with Photoshop these days!
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote