Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 9th January 2008, 06:22 PM   #41
la vieja de la manga
Forero Senior

But of course NIS at all levels is just the best
la vieja de la manga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 09:29 PM   #42
tehfincheh
Forero

I took a couple of online courses to get my basics up to scratch, as well as some of the already mentioned free websites.

I also watch quite a few movies - with Spanish subtitles turned on in the DVD settings. Hey, technically, it's probably not the greatest method of learning a language but it lets me watch movies and extend my knowledge of Spanish at the same time!

I also spout spangled Spanish to my cat on a regular basis. Err, not sure how that helps.
tehfincheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 09:38 PM   #43
la vieja de la manga
Forero Senior

beats talking to yourself though
la vieja de la manga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 08:46 PM   #44
sid07
Novato

thanks for the info and the links . I was just going start learning Spanish . This would be a great help .
sid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 09:05 PM   #45
Retazo
Just Starting

Hola Tehfincheh

Quote:
I also watch quite a few movies - with Spanish subtitles turned on in the DVD settings. Hey, technically, it's probably not the greatest method of learning a language but it lets me watch movies and extend my knowledge of Spanish at the same time!
I do this as well. What films have you seen?
Retazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 05:59 PM   #46
bil
Forero

I dunno. Talking to your self can be helpful. I select a subject and then try and mentally explain it in Spanish to an imaginary person who doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

Mostly tho I use el Jueves. I just thrash my way thru it as best I can with the help of a big dictionary and a good friend at the end of the email who is Spanish with near perfect English.

I started with evening classes, then after a year they changed tutors to someone whose teaching skills were next to nonexistant, in a class that included people with abilities from almost fluent down to those who could barely rub two words together.

So, I guess I'm mostly self taught. I am a sad grammar lover. I find grammar fascinating, and find it useful to understand the way a language lies. To me it's a bit like dissecting a body to see how it works. Plus it gives you the advantage of understanding WHY A is different to B, instead of just learning it parrot fashion.

I also buy some books in Spanish and work my way thru them, and I enjoy reading el Pais over tapas.
bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 09:28 PM   #47
gitanarosa
Galesa

Some good links here to help all of us! I used to attend classes for a few years but then could no longer attend and have tried to keep up myself and get practice for 3 months of the year when we are in Spain but the rest of the year I find I now do very little and am putting this right now!! Ana x
gitanarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 07:24 PM   #48
karena
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehfincheh View Post

I also spout spangled Spanish to my cat on a regular basis. Err, not sure how that helps.
Hablo a mis gatos también. A veces me miran como un bicho raro...

Karen
karena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 04:09 AM   #49
jomik746
neófito

Admittedly, my time devoted to Spanish since school has started again has gone way down (darn those engineering classes!). However, besides listening to the podcasts from NIS regularly, I find the following things help:

1.) I listen to Spanish music all the time (to the annoyance of my roommate). I'd recommend Coti, Los Bunkers, Julieta Venegas, Reik, Diego Torres to name a few

2.) I recently discovered an amazingly funny show from Spain called Aquí no hay quién viva. There is a user on youtube who has uploaded three entire seasons (each episode in about 6 to 7 segments). At first I had trouble with it, but I'm now on season three and loving every minute of it. Great way to learn some colloquialisms. You can find the episodes here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SerieANHQV

3.) sharedtalk.com (intercambio over the internet with voice or text chat, its free and i've met a lot of great friends)

Thanks for all of the other suggestions from you guys!
jomik746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 07:50 AM   #50
Perrault
Forero

Escribo en español (porque necesito practical lo más posible), y entonces en inglés para los foreros que no leen bien el español (!especialmente el mío!).

I am writing in Spanish (because I need as much practice as possible), and then in English for the foreros who don't read Spanish well (especially my Spanish!). The rest of the English is below the Spanish.

En español:

Perdóname si escribo algo que ya ha escribido otro forero.

Un libro que me ha ayudado con la gramática es English Grammar for Students of Spanish, porque explica las gramáticas de ambas idiomas.

Me encanta los libros del serie Practice Makes Perfect, por ejemplo, Spanish Verb Tenses escrito por Dorothy Devney Richmond.

Todos nosotros sabemos que "Notes in Spanish" es maravilloso! ¡Vivan Marina y Ben!

A veces escucho al BBC en español.

¿Todos ya conocen a WordReference.com, sí?

Para practicar los verbos (creo que el subjuntivo va a matarme...), uso Spaleon.

Traté de leer Mi Rincón en la Montaña (libro inglés para adultos jovenes), pero era damasiado difícil. Un libro más fácil -- y más divertidísimo, aunque también más embarazoso -- es Marte Y Venus en el Dormitorio por John Gray.

Por último, hablo con la gente de Mexico, El Salvador, y otros paises latinoamericanos, que trabaja en mi universidad. Ellos me ayudan mucho, y me enseñan modismos (por ejemplo, una respuesta a "Cómo estás" es "¡Lo que se ve, no se pregunta!" Mis amigos hispanohablantes me dijieron que es mejor decir eso en un tono de voz fresco, ¡y sólo a amigos o amigas!)

---------------------
And in English:

Forgive me if I write something that another forero (?) has already written.

One book that has helped me with grammar is English Grammar for Students of Spanish because it explains the grammar of both languages.I love the books in the Practice Makes Perfect series, for example, Spanish Verb Tenses written by Dorothy Devney Richmond.

We all know that "Notes in Spanish" is awesome. Let's hear it for Marina and Ben!

Sometimes I listen to the BBC in Spanish.

You all already know about WordReference.com, right?

To practice the verbs (I think the subjunctive is going to kill me...) I use Spaleon.

I tried to read My Side of the Mountain in Spanish, but it was too hard. An easier book -- and more hilarious, although also more embarrassing -- is Mars and Venus in the Bedroom by John Gray.

Finally, I speak Spanish with people from Mexico, El Salvador, and other Latin American countries, who work at my university. They help me a lot, and teach me idioms (for example, an answer to "How are you?" is "If you can see it, you don't need to ask!" My Spanish speaker friends say it's best to say that in a sassy tone, and only to friends.)
Perrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 10:32 AM   #51
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by karena View Post
Hablo a mis gatos también. A veces me miran como un bicho raro...

Karen

Puedes hablar con este gato que no te mirará como bicho raro (bicha rara?).
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 02:18 PM   #52
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrault View Post
...Un libro más fácil -- y más divertidísimo, aunque también más embarazoso -- es Marte Y Venus en el Dormitorio por John Gray....................
An easier book -- and more hilarious, although also more embarrassing -- is Mars and Venus in the Bedroom by John Gray.
I think you maybe need to use vergüenza here - see this WordReference entry for suggestions along the lines of: me daba vergüenza acercarme a ella, I was embarrassed to go up to her

Even though the RAE definition seems to fit where you used it, Icecold didn't like it much

embarazoso, sa.
1. adj. Que embaraza e incomoda.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:21 PM   #53
Perrault
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
True , I didn't. It could be used, but not in this case.
¡Aja! Gracias, como siempre! Me ayudas mucho.
Perrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 04:23 AM   #54
mcurtin
Forero

Default Additional options for study

Hola a todos:
There have been many great links in this thread...new ideas to explore for the beginner/intermediate. Llevo casi tres años estudiando español...

Am retired physician, 65, probably middle level intermediate but lower with rapidly spoken Spanish.

Having made the plunge to buy an iPod (Touch 8GB) I have found many great free podcasts and now I'm able to listen to Ben, Marina and other podcasts while walking and when on the rowing machine we just purchased--another goal for 2008--keeping the body in shape as well as the language centers of the brain!

My goal this year is to use Skype more for intercambios. Others might want to check out liveMocha where you can hear other members' oral submissions to determine how well you understand them prior to setting up an intercambio via Skype.

http://www.livemocha.com/

Also, I love delving into the fine points of grammar. My favorite grammar text is: "A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish" by John Butt and Carmen Benjamin, McGraw Hill, 2004. Ben may know this book as the authors are from London. The illustrative sentence examples are really great and so often they include examples from Latin American usage as well as peninsular Spanish.
mcurtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 02:37 PM   #55
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Hola mcurtin. Bienvenido al foro.

Quote:
"A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish" by John Butt and Carmen Benjamin, McGraw Hill, 2004.
AKA - The Bible.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:27 AM   #56
DerekD
Forero

Another method (similar to talking to yourself in spanish) is to read a thread like this and try & convert it into spanish. I find it uses the same part of my brain as speaking does, and it highlights the words that i dont know or tend to get stuck on.

i also download bbc mundo daily podcasts and there is a really good science programme from RNE called vanguardia de la sciencia, which you can download (both using itunes).
DerekD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:26 PM   #57
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
...Even though the RAE definition seems to fit where you used it, Icecold didn't like it much...
Vino, hablo mucho, se fue. Eramos como los barcos que se pasaran durante la noche.

Last edited by tad; 23rd March 2008 at 12:35 PM.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:39 PM   #58
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
Vino, hablo mucho, se fue. Eramos como los barcos que se pasaran durante la noche.
Si, ya es muy tranquila
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 06:53 PM   #59
yunouguaramin
IYKWIM

Default The boat love

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
Si, como barcos que se cruzan en la noche...

By the way, where have all IceCold's posts gone ?
Did they only overlived in quotes ?

I liked the one she? send to me :
"Ahora necesitas ayuda ¿no? Pues que te den..."

I was very surprised, because I never got on to her.
If you see this IceCold, please tell me, it was love at first reading ?
yunouguaramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 01:42 AM   #60
tehfincheh
Forero

I tend to stick to the online learning resources as I generally don't have the patience to keep plugging in a DVD, or even to keep a reference book handy.

I waste far too much time on the Internet, so I've taught myself to waste it productively!

I've tried most of the online courses that you see advertised around. Rocket Spanish, Rosetta, Synergy Spanish and etc ...they all helped but it's best to stick to just the one resource or you'll end up muddled real fast.
tehfincheh is offline   Reply With Quote