Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 6th July 2006, 07:26 PM   #21
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
and getting on topic, keyboard layout in GNU/Linux (at least on intel) is the sanest I've found; we can type almost any sign (or even guess them):

control + alt + c =
control + alt + o =
control + alt + s =

and of course, we have good "dead keys" combinations ( ` ^ ) and native keys (, ). The only thing I'm unsure is about the vowels and tildes (I don't write portugese!)
is alt + c on a mac

- tilde on a mac is alt + n then release and type an n

- accent type alt+e then release ant type the letter you want eith an accent

- Circumflex is alt + u then release and type the letter

- Umlout is alt + u release and type the letter

œ ∑ † π ∂ ƒ ∆ ˚ Ω ≈ √ ∫ ~
Œ „ ‰ ∏  ◊ ◊ı ˆ ˜ ˘

etc all standard on mac if you know there they are, Being a Mac guy in a PC world you have to be able to be a slider - the OS is the OS its the apps!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 07:30 AM   #22
gitanarosa
Galesa

Smile

Thank you SIN!! I find that little programme just brilliant!! I now have an icon on my destop that I just click and there it is! I am new here .. this is my first post and for YEARS I have struggled with a way to use accents, having given up in the past few months but now I have no excuse thanks to you!!
I am so excited about joining this site and have lots of reading up to do re all the great information here!! Finding an easy way to use accents etc was a truly wonderful start!!
gitanarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 07:52 AM   #23
Ben
Hero Forero

Hello and welcome to the forums gitanarosa, look forward to seeing you in here!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 01:45 PM   #24
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanarosa View Post
Thank you SIN!! I find that little programme just brilliant!! I now have an icon on my destop that I just click and there it is! I am new here .. this is my first post and for YEARS I have struggled with a way to use accents, having given up in the past few months but now I have no excuse thanks to you!!
I am so excited about joining this site and have lots of reading up to do re all the great information here!! Finding an easy way to use accents etc was a truly wonderful start!!
Glad to have you here, gitanarosa.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 08:50 PM   #25
tad
virtual idiot

Default yes it's good

After failing to do the international keyboard thing I tried the allchars utility suggested by Mark -very good and no fiddly triple fingered key combinations.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 07:27 PM   #26
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Away from the "my operating system is better than your operating system stuff" - I'm like the rest of the World and I use the things that Bill sells to me. Also my keyboard is too old or too English or something to have the Alt Gr key.

I tried the link to braser whatever and the message says the page has moved and I can't find anything by hunting around.

All chars did OK with the accented a etc but wouldn't work with the n tilde.

The zipped up job wouldn't load properly and not for the reasons given on the webpage. So I'm still stuck with alt+164 and the like.

Anything more?
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 01:02 PM   #27
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post
All chars did OK with the accented a etc but wouldn't work with the n tilde.
With my allchars for its ctrl, shift and ~ together then n -are you shifting to get the ~?
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 01:13 PM   #28
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post

I tried the link to braser whatever and the message says the page has moved and I can't find anything by hunting around.
I've got MoreKeys 1.2 still on my PC but had a look and they seem to have removed it from the Braser site as you say. Google still provides lots of links to it but they don't work. I have a Spanish keyboard so use it for £ signs!
I've got the files in a .zip but it's too big to upload. I'll try it as an attachment if you like to PM me with a mail address
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 06:37 AM   #29
Realaficionada21
Mega Forero

[quote=Cat;965]Sin,

http://www.braser.com/pr_mk1.html

Thanks for that link...what a fab little program sitting very neatly on screen and so easy to use for a "plug and play" girl.

This link is no longer available. Can someone tell me the product/program name so I can search for it. I am having a really hard time with the accents on my laptop.

Thanks!
Realaficionada21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 01:13 PM   #30
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realaficionada21 View Post
This link is no longer available. Can someone tell me the product/program name so I can search for it. I am having a really hard time with the accents on my laptop.
Thanks!
This thread has useful info in it
In case you miss it, there is a link in one post to a blogspot with some very good stuff in it.
I have had another look for the Brasher "More Keys" software but they do not seem to be providing it any more.
Old 26th May 2007, 06:33 AM   #31
greytop
Hero Forero

Default Typing accents

Mozilla / english keyboard users may find this new add-on useful.
It enables Microsoft Keyboard shortcuts for international characters.
Sorry I can't try it out as I have a Spanish keyboard.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:07 AM   #32
Hugo
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Typing Spanish accents is easy if you have a Spanish keyboard at your fingertips (though many Spaniards don't always bother ).

For other keyboards around the world, there is an explanation of different ways to get the accents here. (Don't worry though, if you leave a few off in this forum we won't mind )

Firefox Users: Please note that the alt+number method for typing accents does not work with this forum when browsing with Firefox (it's a forum coding thing). We're very sorry about this!

Hola Ben
I have enclosed in an attachment my way of using accent I find it very usefull, I an 72 and taking a Open University course in spanish this year, I love your chats with your wife great for my listening practice. Thank Hughie (Hugo)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Using accent keys on a standard keyboardwithout.doc (19.5 KB, 6 views)
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 06:52 PM   #33
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
Hola Ben
I have enclosed in an attachment my way of using accent I find it very usefull, I an 72 and taking a Open University course in spanish this year, I love your chats with your wife great for my listening practice. Thank Hughie (Hugo)
Hola Hugo

Suerte con tu carrera en la universidad abierta!

Saludos.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 06:46 PM   #34
Hugo
Forero

Default Consejo prctico en acentos

Using accent keys on a standard keyboard in Word
From the top line of files select Insert
Click on Symbol
In the font box select ( normal text )
On the 6th row down you will find click on and then click on shortcut key the cursor will blink in press shortcut key Press f5 key now press assign will now appear whenever in the future you press the f5 key .
Now do the same for each letter f6 f7 f8 f9 f10 f11 and f12
You will find on the 7th row
The is 4 rows down near the centre
And the is 5 rows down in the centre under the sign

Cut out this strip it is better on card and stick it with blue tack on the keyboard above the f keys starting at f5
The spacing allows for the bigger gap between f8 and f9
Each time you want a special key just press the appropriate f key
e/g

Hugo
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 03:39 AM   #35
MissLena
Forero

Default Microsoft's procedure for enabling accents in XP

[I checked both threads here on this subject and, to my surprise, did not see MicroSlop's own solution. Here it is...]

Microsoft's procedure for enabling accents in XP is given at http://support.microsoft.com/default...6560&sd=tech#2

I just now followed these instructions (took a couple minutes and a reboot) and now I type the accent I want [ ' ` ^ ~ ] and the character I want it on [a...u] and I get all this lovely stuff: ....

and I hold down [right-alt] and type ?/ or 1! and get

[woo-hoo!]

Very easy. Much easier than all the other goofy stuff mentioned... [for XP users, that is]

Because MicroSlop likes to change their links around periodically just to break stuff, and because you're unbelieveably lazy, I reproduce the instructions for you right here (see the link above for more characters and custom keys):

===================================
Adding the United States-International Keyboard Layout [ XP ONLY !!! ]

To add the United States-International keyboard layout, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.Under Pick a category, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.

3.Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click Regional and Language Options.

The Regional and Language Options dialog box appears.

4.On the Languages tab, click Details.

The Text Services and Input Languages dialog box appears.

5.Under Installed services, click Add.

The Add Input language dialog box appears.6.In the Input language list, click the language that you want. For example, English (United States).

NOTE: When you use the United States-International keyboard layout, you should also use an English language setting.

7.In the Keyboard layout/IME list, click United States-International, and then click OK.

8.In the Select one of the installed input languages to use when you start your computer list, click Language name - United States-International (where Language name is the language that you selected in step 6), and then click OK.

9.In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

Notice that the Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you position the mouse pointer over it, a ToolTip appears that describes the active keyboard layout. For example, United States-International.

10.Click the Language bar, and then click United States-International on the shortcut menu that appears.

The United States-International keyboard layout is selected.

===================================
MissLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:54 PM   #36
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLena View Post
[I checked both threads here on this subject and, to my surprise, did not see MicroSlop's own solution. Here it is...]

Microsoft's procedure for enabling accents in XP is given at http://support.microsoft.com/default...6560&sd=tech#2

I just now followed these instructions (took a couple minutes and a reboot) and now I type the accent I want [ ' ` ^ ~ ] and the character I want it on [a...u] and I get all this lovely stuff: ....

and I hold down [right-alt] and type ?/ or 1! and get

[woo-hoo!]
Do MS do a UK-International Version?
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 01:27 PM   #37
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLena View Post
Changing keyboard layouts in XP is included in this article, which has been mentioned here before. It also shows maps of the layouts for Spanish, US International and UK keyboards.

Caveat: that article also contains a bunch of other goofy stuff

PS: Certain international characters are available in the standard UK keyboard configuration.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 01:05 PM   #38
Retazo
Just Starting

Question How to type Spanish accents

Hi

Forgive me if I have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask. I use Vista and as yet have been unable to type the relevant accents. I am not a great computer user. Can anyone explain how I can use accents or a site that I can access.
Retazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 06:09 PM   #39
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retazo View Post
Hi

Forgive me if I have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask. I use Vista and as yet have been unable to type the relevant accents. I am not a great computer user. Can anyone explain how I can use accents or a site that I can access.
I think that the link on post #37 of this thread can apply to Vista.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 07:32 PM   #40
Elvis
Tio Pepe

It's all very well knowing how to type accents, the real problem is knowing when to use them.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote