Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 30th September 2008, 01:08 PM   #61
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
describing one's house the expression - mi casa da al rio. my house looks over the river.

is that right?
Yes, that's right. It can also mean "faces" or "facing" when referring to a location....."My house faces the river."

Last edited by Beckett; 30th September 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 06:21 PM   #62
El Confuso
Forero

Default Darle la razón

"darle la razón" is not "to give someone the reason for" but "to agree someone is correct"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Me doy cuenta que me equivoque y que tienes razon, gato.
ValenciaSon le dió la razón a eldeano.

To strengthen the idea, "darle toda la razon" = to be in complete agreement with someone
El Confuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 09:23 AM   #63
delgado
Mega Forero

I kinda like this phrase ....

Dar mil vueltas a algo/alguien

I guess it would be translated as something like .. much better than , runs rings around , knocks the spots off..etc..

esta ciudad da mil vueltas a londres = this city is much better than london

Last edited by delgado; 8th October 2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correction
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 11:25 AM   #64
jubilee
Mega Forero

This week I read dar contencion and from the context it looks as if it means the opposite to my first guess... Something like give support/comfort (rather than oppose!)?? Where would be a good place to look this up? Couldn't find it in wordreference.
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 08:16 PM   #65
El Confuso
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
This week I read dar contencion and from the context it looks as if it means the opposite to my first guess... Something like give support/comfort (rather than oppose!)?? Where would be a good place to look this up? Couldn't in wordreference.
I was not familiar with the word, so I looked it up myself. Contención could be added to the list of Falsos Amigos. You are correct that it does not mean "contention"; it's more like "containment", from the verb contener.

You can find this on the WordReference site in the monolingual Spanish dictionary: http://www.wordreference.com/definicion/contencion

An easy way to use another good source is to type this directly in the address line of your browser: rae.es/<your word>. In this case: rae.es/contención.

Both sources give the same example -- muro de contención -- which I think could be translated as "restraining wall"

Often, either source will give some common phrases or idioms using the word, but in this case neither source lists the phrase dar contención. My gut instinct attempt at translation was simply "to contain" in the sense of restraining or preventing the spread of something.

Another trick which sometimes helps is to Google dar contención. I wonder if I found the same article (or similar) story that you did: http://noticias.iruya.com/content/view/17327/413/ A direct explanatory quote from that page:
Por cierto, lo de "dar contención a las familias anegadas" puede entenderse como "brindar ayuda a las familias cuyas viviendas resultaron anegadas".
That usage doesn't fit perfectly with my guess. From the comment itself, it appears that the meaning in this context might not be totally clear to some native speakers. Maybe the idea here is "damage control", that is, containing the damage already experienced by the victims.
Old 10th October 2008, 08:57 PM   #66
delgado
Mega Forero

correct me if i´m wrong but i think that dar contención means to help-support someone in the sense of "to put a roof over their head in times of need" but I think that as el confuso said , without the verb "dar" it is used in the sense of damage control/limiting the damage

Last edited by delgado; 10th October 2008 at 09:03 PM.
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 10:16 PM   #67
El Confuso
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado View Post
correct me if i´m wrong but i think that dar contención means to help-support someone in the sense of "to put a roof over their head in times of need" but I think that as el confuso said , without the verb "dar" it is used in the sense of damage control/limiting the damage
Yes, delgado, I agree with your idea. I'm not sure what's going on -- the first time I tried the WordReference Spanish-to-English dictionary I got no results, but now I do (maybe just a typo on my part). Alternate translations for muro de contención are dike or dame. There are many threads in the WordReference forum on contención, and "protection" and "support", maybe even "solace" appear to be possible meanings. Strange, as jubilee noted, the very different, almost opposite meanings of this word. Rechecking the rae.es/contención page, I also see that "contention" is apparently a valid meaning, also.
Old 11th October 2008, 03:29 AM   #68
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Confuso View Post
...Alternate translations for muro de contención are dike or dame. ...
dike or dam ? (or maybe dyke or dame)
Collins complete has contención = containment / containing. Many of the Google results for dar contención seem to come from Argentina so it's maybe more common there to describe actions that limit the damage caused by some event.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 03:14 PM   #69
El Confuso
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
dike or dam ? (or maybe dyke or dame)
Oops! Pardon my blunder. I must have been tyred.

It hadn't occurred to me, but you may be right on target about the usage in Argentina as well. One of the threads in the WordReference forum mentioned a type of one-time survivors' benefit paid (by the government) in Argentina, and the formal term for this benefit contained the word "contención."
Old 11th October 2008, 08:28 PM   #70
imc
Super Forero

Hay van un par más:

Se dio a la bebida

Me han dado el día
imc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 11:21 AM   #71
greytop
Hero Forero

From a LasProvincias article about changing pattern of those with low resources who need help to eat.

Hasta hace algunos meses, los inmigrantes eran los usuarios mayoritarios del comedor que ofrece el centro (la Casa de Caridad). Hoy en día, los españoles han dado la vuelta a la tortilla y son ellos lo que acaparan la gran parte de la asistencia alimenticia.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote