Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments

Notices

Old 6th September 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Intermediate Notes in Spanish Podcast 1 - ¡Bienvenidos!

This is the first episode in our new Intermediate level! Listen in and let us know what you think!

Just as with the Advanced podcasts, there is a worksheet pack available to help you get the most out of the podcasts. Each worksheet includes a full transcript, a list of really useful vocabulary and grammar, and helpful exercises.

Let us know what you think below!

Last edited by Ben; 1st June 2007 at 10:12 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 06:10 PM   #2
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Recorded podcast and downloaded the transcript this afternoon and have now run through it twice. Muchas Gracias. I was going through one of those times when I thought my Spanish just wasn't progressing. The slower pace of the speech delighted me by proving me wrong and I didn't need to reach for the dictionary once while reading the transcripts. What I'm really impressed with is that I can call myself an "Intermediate", when I thought I had hardly progressed beyond beginner.

How much of an effort was it to slow down? Did you script it for the simpler Spanish? Although it sounded very natural. You will have my quid each week from now on.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 07:23 PM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Recorded podcast and downloaded the transcript this afternoon and have now run through it twice. Muchas Gracias. I was going through one of those times when I thought my Spanish just wasn't progressing. The slower pace of the speech delighted me by proving me wrong and I didn't need to reach for the dictionary once while reading the transcripts. What I'm really impressed with is that I can call myself an "Intermediate", when I thought I had hardly progressed beyond beginner.

How much of an effort was it to slow down? Did you script it for the simpler Spanish? Although it sounded very natural. You will have my quid each week from now on.
I echo everything richardska says - i too am happy to have confirmation of my level in spanish - The intermediate is comfortable, and the advanced is a stretch for which I find the transcripts invaluable.

As I have mentioned to Ben - I cant believe we are treated to audio of such high quality for no charge. Fantastic. I know I will finish up buying both transcripts - one for comfortable relaxation and one for a mental workout!!

THANKYOU!!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Hi Richard, glad you liked it! We never really script anything beyond having maybe a list of things to cover in a rough order. It was tricky to slow down at first - we listened to a CD from an intermediate book to guage the level a bit, which helped. I was surprised how close to normal, full-speed Spanish 'Intermediate' is - it's not just about slowing down, more about not letting sentences run off at a hundred miles an hour.

Still, when we recorded the third one, we came a bit unstuck and kept speaking super-fast 'Advanced' level Spanish - Solution? A post-it on each of our foreheads with "Intermediate" in bold lettering!
Old 7th September 2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Marbella

Even though this is intermediate I think slowing down the speech should be a by-product of better intonation not forced. My in-laws will continue to show me no mercy so I don't want to learn in an 'unreal' situation. Tricky to get right I suppose but the first one sounded ok. As you've said there is more to intermediate training than slowing down speech.
Old 7th September 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella View Post
Even though this is intermediate I think slowing down the speech should be a by-product of better intonation not forced.
Exactly the point I had hoped to make! That is what we were aiming for. Clearer, not necessarily slower.
Old 7th September 2006, 01:56 PM   #7
que
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Still, when we recorded the third one, we came a bit unstuck and kept speaking super-fast 'Advanced' level Spanish - Solution? A post-it on each of our foreheads with "Intermediate" in bold lettering!
haha! please tell me you've got some pictures for that! lol
que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Ray
Forero

I'd like to echo the enthusiasm from the other intermediates. I got a bit lost with the advanced podcasts. The intermediate sounded completely natural (and not particularly slower) but I found it easier to follow.

It was also good to hear a bit more about the two of you. I was interested that Marina is an IT consultant as I have been a computing lecturer in a London university for quite some time and before that I was, for many years, in the IT industry.

All the best and keep up the good work.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Ray
Forero

Default Gatas

By the way, Ben, I'm not convinced by your explanation of 'gatas' referring to madrilenas (can anyone tell me how to get ~n from an English keyboard?). I can assure you that the northern girls are equally to be seen wandering the streets late at night (and the boys as well!).
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

Hi Ray, and welcome! You're right, my explanation about the Gatas was a bit flawed - Spanish ladies are up all night all over Spain!

For Spanish accents, have a good look through this thread.
-Ben
Old 8th September 2006, 03:18 PM   #11
CatherineF
Forero

Thumbs up Manageable vocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Exactly the point I had hoped to make! That is what we were aiming for. Clearer, not necessarily slower.
I thought it was a really great podcast. This is such an excellent way to help learn Spanish.

It wasn't just the slower pace / clearer speaking that made it better than the advanced one; for me the topics you were talking about used more intermediate-friendly vocab than the advanced level. In the advanced podcasts at the moment there are just too many words I don't yet know!

PS These smiley things are really cool. I fear I may get a bit carried away with them though...
CatherineF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Tony
Super Forero

Default Enhorabuena Ben y Marina!

Just listented to the first intermediate level podcast and enjoyed it a lot........... Well done once again Ben and Marina ......me chiflan las podcasts ! .......mas por favor ....
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 08:48 PM   #13
Steve W
e'tiv

The same as everyone else, a good level for relaxing listening.

Can we have one from a bar or restaurant please, with all the interaction with the staff, but at an intermediate level. This is a situation that we will all have to deal with at some point.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Ben
Hero Forero

Very good idea! I'll stick it on the list but it may be a while til we get round to it!
Old 13th September 2006, 10:11 AM   #15
Janeybee
Forero

Morning all!

I listened to the intermediate podcast on the bus this morning, and I amazed to find that I could understand about 50% and follow generally about 75%. Feeling very pleased with myself. It really makes a difference to be able to make out most of the individual words and that it's at a pace at which my brain can listen and translate! Thanks guys.

Also, Ben, I promised to tell you how I got on in returning to Spanish. Well, had my first class last night (revision) and felt very smug that I was (I think) in the upper levels of the class. However, that may change when we move beyond revision to something new! Loved that I knew words others didn't and that the person to my right said 'you must practise lots' - which I haven't been. Hoorah!

However, mustn't get complacent. In fact, it's making me want to keep ahead of the game. So, there we are, I'm back and determind!

Off to see if I can think of a new word for the word game now....

Jane x
Janeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 10:28 AM   #16
Marina
NFS Admin

It is great to hear that your motivation is back. Keep us updated with you progress!!!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Ben
Hero Forero

Glad you enjoyed the podcast and did so well in the first class (don't forget to tell your classmates about NiS )
Old 13th September 2006, 12:53 PM   #18
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Thank you, Ben and Marina, for the intermediate series. I shared it with my 11-year old son, who is working diligently on his castellano, and he picked up most of it. Keep up the great work!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 02:53 PM   #19
Marina
NFS Admin

Thanks Brian,
It's good to know that children can learn from them as well!
Marina.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:21 AM   #20
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Thanks Brian,
It's good to know that children can learn from them as well!
Marina.
They're fine so long as Ben doesn't launch into an imprompteau lesson on palabrotas!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote