Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments

Notices

Old 14th September 2006, 06:44 AM   #21
Ben
Hero Forero

I'm biting my toungue every episode. We have a great list of palabrotas too which I imagine we won't be using as 'phrase of the week' candidates....
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 09:35 AM   #22
Janeybee
Forero

Palabrotas?

Sent an email to my classmates last night to tell them about NiS. They're already writing back to me to tell me they're hooked. My teacher was impressed too! Well done guys.... ;o)
PS With this and the mention in my article, do I get commission? Hehehehe ;o)
Janeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 10:00 AM   #23
Ben
Hero Forero

I'll send you the palabrota (swear words) list when it's finished, how about that
Old 14th September 2006, 12:04 PM   #24
Janeybee
Forero

Aha! Now Brian's comments make sense....The Spanish do have some very interesting ones...a list would be good. I'm sure then I could throw in a few choice ones when discussing who's turn it is for domestic duties with my Basque novio! ;o)
Old 14th September 2006, 01:31 PM   #25
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeybee View Post
Aha! Now Brian's comments make sense....The Spanish do have some very interesting ones...a list would be good. I'm sure then I could throw in a few choice ones when discussing who's turn it is for domestic duties with my Basque novio! ;o)
hehe, I rarely make sense, so congrats on figuring out my meaning!

Ben and Marina had a really good podcast on swearing in Spanish way back when. I don't recall which one it was.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:37 PM   #26
Janeybee
Forero

Knowing 11 year old boys, I would imagine that is the podcast which he'll be the most keen to translate...

As for making sense, more about my lack of Spanish skills than your postings! hehehe
Old 14th September 2006, 02:43 PM   #27
chicarcas
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I'm biting my toungue every episode. We have a great list of palabrotas too which I imagine we won't be using as 'phrase of the week' candidates....
Do I see a "R" rated podcast in the future?
You know those words, we know those words...Everybody knows those words....It might be fun....jejejejeje
chicarcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 11:57 PM   #28
Brad
Forero

Greetings,

I listened to a few of your other podcasts and am pleased to see an intermediate level since I am just starting out.

I downloaded the first 2 podcasts and got the notes. Excellent stuff.

One comment and one question --

For a beginner like me, I really would like to see an extra section after the Soluciones with an english translation of the Ejercicios and true/false questions.

Also, I am not completely sure what "me chifla" means although I think I got the general idea -- what would the closest english phrase be?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 08:00 AM   #29
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicarcas View Post
You know those words, we know those words...Everybody knows those words....It might be fun....jejejejeje
Hey! I don't know these words yet. Please tell.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 08:39 AM   #30
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
It might get us in trouble with all the schools we would love to listen too... we will work out some way to make them available in the future, don't worry, until then, this podcast was all about palabrotas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Greetings.....

For a beginner like me, I really would like to see an extra section after the Soluciones with an english translation of the Ejercicios and true/false questions.

Also, I am not completely sure what "me chifla" means although I think I got the general idea -- what would the closest english phrase be?

Thanks,

Brad
Hi Brad, and welcome! I like your idea about translating things into English but for the moment I think we will stick to just using Spanish as I think it is much more useful to try to keep things in one language - it really improves the learning process if you have to make that translation yourself, even if it means slogging away with a dictionary. I hope this doesn't sound condescending, it is simply based on my own learning experiences - keeping everything in Spanish really helps in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Hey! I don't know these words yet. Please tell.
See podcast link above!!
Old 16th September 2006, 09:00 AM   #31
Ben
Hero Forero

P.S. for a great bit of Spanish swearing, see Que's second video link on this post
Old 16th September 2006, 02:35 PM   #32
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeybee View Post
Knowing 11 year old boys, I would imagine that is the podcast which he'll be the most keen to translate...
Isn't it amazing how the first day in Spanish class, most students make use of the Unabridged Spanish Dictionary to find all the palabrotas?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 02:44 PM   #33
Brad
Forero

Ben,

Quote:
I hope this doesn't sound condescending, it is simply based on my own learning experiences
Not at all. I had spent 45 minutes with the dictionary making sure I understood the questions and it was well worth the effort. I am looking forward to tackling the second podcast later today.

Brad
Old 16th September 2006, 03:13 PM   #34
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Thanks,

Brad
From WordReference.com

chiflar verbo intransitivo
1 (con la boca) to whistle
(con un silbato) to blow
2 familiar (gustar mucho) me chifla esta música, I love this music

- Diccionario Espasa Concise: Español-Inglés English-Spanish
© Espasa-Calpe, S.A., Madrid 2000
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 04:18 PM   #35
Brad
Forero

Quote:
chiflar verbo intransitivo

Thanks. I took a second look in my dictionary and found it. Not sure how I missed it the first time. Much appreciated.
Old 16th September 2006, 06:23 PM   #36
Ben
Hero Forero

Sorry, completely forgot to answer that part of your question! Thanks Greytop!
Old 21st September 2006, 02:20 PM   #37
parkmoy
Novato

Just found this site a few days ago and I'm really impressed with all of it, and in particular, with the intermediate podcasts. I'm not quite intermediate standard yet and my vocab and grammar is sadly lacking, but I can understand quite a bit of it without the dictionary and with the help of the transcript.
The speech is really clear without being slow and I'm sure the podcasts will help me improve my Spanish. Keep them coming!
David
parkmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 12:35 PM   #38
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
By the way, Ben, I'm not convinced by your explanation of 'gatas' referring to madrilenas (can anyone tell me how to get ~n from an English keyboard?). I can assure you that the northern girls are equally to be seen wandering the streets late at night (and the boys as well!).
I mentioned this to a madrileña who told me it refered to when the Spanish retook Madrid from the Moors. The Moorish general described the silent ascent of the city's defences by the spanish army as being like cats climbing a wall. The name should apply equally to both sexes of the citizens of Madrid. I love the idea of Ben being a Gato (with icing and a cherry on top!)
Old 12th November 2006, 05:27 PM   #39
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
LOL, in Holland we are a bit less prudish as far as these words are concerned, but since this is a foro anglosajón I will control myself... I in Tenerife at the moment studying Spanish, and just the other day we had a very entertaining conversation with one of the waiters at the hotel bar. He had been living in England for some time and knew more swear words than I have ever heard in my life. He also taught us some Spanish ones which are quite colorful.

As far as I concerned, itś no use trying to hide these words from the kids since they probably know them anyway. Using them is another matter though.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 12:05 PM   #40
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Having just returned from a mass "Cambio", (it wasn't an intercambio as we only spoke English), I was amused that all the Spaniards knew many English swearwords and intrerjected them into (illegal during the week) their Spanish conversations. Overhearing them seemed odd. On the other hand, translations of palabrotas seem quite tame. (But then I live in the oil patch where the only language spoken is "profane".)