Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 6th August 2010, 11:12 PM   #1
KathyB
Novato

Question ¡Mucho Gusto a todos! & AVE/Instutito Cervantes program?

Hello everyone! This is my first post (anywhere, actually...) and I hope everyone will forgive my lack of an introduction (& español) for now. I was only just able to post and we are heading out early tonight, so I only have a few minutes for a quick question.

Does anyone have experience with/knowledge of the Lingua program associated with the Universidad de Alcalá located in Alcalá de Henares or the AVE online course they offer? I hope to start something this week for a difficult exam prep. and this seems very interesting. I know that the AVE course was developed by/with the Instituto Cervantes and Lingua has their approval and even an ISO 9001 certificate (mi esposo me dice es muy bueno...). However, a little inside info. would ease my mind as I don't want to waste time or money. I will only use the program online since I'm in the U.S. and the nearest Instituto is 1000km away...

Lingua seems to offer the best price and also the option to join an online class with a tutor if you pay more of course. I would supplement with Ben and Marina (¡Mil gracias!) as well as all of my texts and resources on the web already mentioned by other members. However, I'm a little overwhelmed with everything and need the structure of a class that also offers flexibility.

Gracias de antemano
KathyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 07:27 PM   #2
luke
luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post (anywhere, actually...) and I hope everyone will forgive my lack of an introduction (& español) for now. I was only just able to post and we are heading out early tonight, so I only have a few minutes for a quick question.

Does anyone have experience with/knowledge of the Lingua program associated with the Universidad de Alcalá located in Alcalá de Henares or the AVE online course they offer? I hope to start something this week for a difficult exam prep. and this seems very interesting. I know that the AVE course was developed by/with the Instituto Cervantes and Lingua has their approval and even an ISO 9001 certificate (mi esposo me dice es muy bueno...). However, a little inside info. would ease my mind as I don't want to waste time or money. I will only use the program online since I'm in the U.S. and the nearest Instituto is 1000km away...

Lingua seems to offer the best price and also the option to join an online class with a tutor if you pay more of course. I would supplement with Ben and Marina (¡Mil gracias!) as well as all of my texts and resources on the web already mentioned by other members. However, I'm a little overwhelmed with everything and need the structure of a class that also offers flexibility.

Gracias de antemano
hi, i've done the instituto cervantes ave course without a tutor(not available for advanced level). it's ok but i don't think it's worth the money. the software is a bit clunky and the course is a bit random and bitty.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 04:06 AM   #3
KathyB
Novato

Default Thanks so much!

Hi Luke! I really appreciate your insight. It really helps to hear from someone who's been there so to speak. The price that I saw with Lingua was 30 euros (85 USD through Instituto Cervantes). Seems much less than all the the others, so I'm already a little suspect. But then again, it seems to be associated with both a well respected university and Instituto Cervantes (also respected, no?) and I could use a good deal. Also, could you please tell me what you mean by "bitty" in this case. I'm afraid I only know the definition the Beach Boys taught me! Could it be that it's not advanced enough or not as in depth as you would like?

I'm pretty much starting over from the beginning, but was hoping to review on my own and maybe try the tutor once the material becomes too difficult-probably sooner than I'd like to, of course. This all depends on finding an "intercambio" at some point, since I need to practice speaking the most. Otherwise I would really need the tutor sooner than later. Most of all, this is an exam prep. so I need "in depth", educated Spanish. So many programs are geared toward tourists, etc. Wonderful for what is is, but not in this case.

Meanwhile, I plan to request more info about the AVE program, but I'm still looking around if I find anything else. Hopefully, I will make a decision this week because right now my study plan is all over the place due to information overload (books, internet, etc.)

Thanks again!
KathyB is offline   Reply With Quote