Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 1st July 2006, 10:55 AM   #41
Jimmy
Super Forero

Thanks Guys !!!!!

Just coughed up for the Puerta del Sol subscription - I tried the Punto y Coma site - got the magazine but none of the sample audio worked (ie. the download page was missing) - but it looked good.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 10:08 PM   #42
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
In terms of reading along with the spoken word - has anyone tried these audiomags? and how do they rate?

Esta se llama "Puerta del Sol"
http://www.champs-elysees.com/produc...h/product.aspx
Review of above
http://spanish.about.com/library/rev...ta_del_sol.htm

Esta se llama "Think Spanish"
http://www.readspanish.com/
'Think Spanish' looks especially appealing because of its cultural contents from all over the Spanish-speaking world, but it is very expensive and ordering it from the Netherlands seems a bit problematic to me. ¡Una lástima!

I know this sounds silly but I have never ordered anything by credit card.

Last edited by Edith; 1st July 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 10:37 PM   #43
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I take it you've seen it! There are some good recipes, but I'd be breaking the law by encouraging that sort of thing
Which law? Is there a law against sharing recipes? And this is cyberspace anyway... no laws apply here, it's not a country...
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 02:01 PM   #44
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Here's a site thast has just started. More geared towards South American Spanish though, but it's all grist to the mill.

http://www.learn-spanish.co.il/
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 09:17 PM   #45
Catica
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
Thanks Guys !!!!!

Just coughed up for the Puerta del Sol subscription - I tried the Punto y Coma site - got the magazine but none of the sample audio worked (ie. the download page was missing) - but it looked good.
Well, I have the audio but not yet the sample magazine, but that should come in the mail soon.

I've just invested in an mp3 player and I've already uploaded most of Notes in Spanish, Puerta del Sol, Think in Spanish!, and now the sample issue Punto y coma.

I had earlier said I might not resubscribe to Think in Spanish!, but I think it works well with that "shadowing" technique I had described earlier, because they speak rather slowly, I think, on the audio portion. It's amazing to me how much better I "know" the words when I can read along with the audio. When I struggle with a word, it's because while I may understand it on the page, it's not fully in my subconscious yet. The words I have no problem with are the words I already know well.

Back to Punto y coma, I'm planning on subcribing. I've seen the .pdf of the magazine, but I just don't want to print all 56 pages of it as I think the graphics would require a heck of a lot of ink. But I am very impressed by it. My boyfriend (Spanish speaking) and I were listening to the segment on Albert Enstein (or at least I think that's what I understood! ) and he found it engaging himself.
Catica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 12:58 PM   #46
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Here is a quote from a book I'm studying:

"Below are presented 35 categories or classes into which all Spanish verbs can be placed. Annex A presents the complete conjugations for model verbs in each of the categories, as well as highlighting the changes for sub classes which display orthographic modifications or have irregular past participles. Annex B provides an alphabetical index of approximately4,800 verbs, showing for each its class and, where applicable, sub class."

The title - "Spanish Verbs Simpler." Oh Lord, if this is "simpler", can I give up now!!!!!
Old 14th September 2006, 02:22 PM   #47
timg
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Here is a quote from a book I'm studying:

"Below are presented 35 categories or classes into which all Spanish verbs can be placed. Annex A presents the complete conjugations for model verbs in each of the categories, as well as highlighting the changes for sub classes which display orthographic modifications or have irregular past participles. Annex B provides an alphabetical index of approximately4,800 verbs, showing for each its class and, where applicable, sub class."

The title - "Spanish Verbs Simpler." Oh Lord, if this is "simpler", can I give up now!!!!!
I agree it could have been worded better, but surely the news is very good! ALL Spanish verbs can be represented in 35 patterns. How many patterns do you think there might be to represent all English verbs (with its plethora of irregular verbs). This gives one of the reasons I don't like the "501 verbs" type books for Spanish - they're not necessary (or, perhaps better expressed, they don't fit my way of thinking). My English-Spanish dictionary gives these tables of conjugation patterns at the end, and each verb entry in the Spanish part just points you to the model to use.

Another good reason to learn Spanish!
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 02:42 PM   #48
richardksa
Jedi Forero

I was trying to be tongue in cheek. It was just the wording. I just had the impresson the book was verbs made simpler for accomplished linguists!!!!! Actually, it quite a good book in that it looks into the history of Spanish and explains why the words are the way they are and how they developed from the original Latin, where French went off on a different tack.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:12 AM   #49
lifeinperu
Forero Senior

Default Puerta del Sol

Jimmy, has the Puerta del Sol subrsciption been worth the money?
lifeinperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 04:10 AM   #50
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
... where French went off on a different tack.
This statement could be taken in so many ways....
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 08:37 PM   #51
timg
Mega Forero

Here's another site that is very interesting. Talking about the use of Spanish and English (plus it has a plug for my site
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:57 PM   #52
Steve W
e'tiv

If you haven´t got Firefox 2.0 yet, a good reason for doing so is the built in Spellcheck feature. I have downloaded the Spanish dictionary, and it´s very quick to switch between this and English. It spellchecks forms and fields on the web, such as email and this very box I´m typing in now.

It even catches dropped accents, which is what I find most useful.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 01:27 PM   #53
landlady
vodcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Totally true. Maybe what's needed here is a skype intercambio set up... hmmm... Would that interest anyone, intercambios via skype with Spaniards who also want to learn English? 20 mins in Spanish 20 mins in English for example? Food for thought anyway...
Just emailed you with an idea I had for my own possible immersion learning Ben, perhaps a special forum set up on this site for arranging this type of 'guest' immersion weekend or holidays might be possible?

I would be interested in more skype intercambio sessions too. My once a week chat with my new friend Marta is not enough, I need more - more I tell you
landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 04:53 PM   #54
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

OK steve, I have updated to version 2.0 of Firefox but I am not sure where the dictionary is that you mentioned - I use outlook as an email server not thunderbird.

Alan
alanmalarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 04:56 PM   #55
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalarkey View Post
OK steve, I have updated to version 2.0 of Firefox but I am not sure where the dictionary is that you mentioned - I use outlook as an email server not thunderbird.

Alan
have a look at previous post
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:59 PM   #56
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

Many thanks - I am in the process of producing here some not correct spellings of words / palabras in English and Spanish and thinking about mañana and it all worked OK after a bit of help from a friend - as you can see!
Old 8th November 2006, 10:26 AM   #57
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalarkey View Post
Many thanks - I am in the process of producing here some not correct spellings of words / palabras in English and Spanish and thinking about mañana and it all worked OK after a bit of help from a friend - as you can see!
It indeed did and very I am impressed alaN
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 11:13 AM   #58
landlady
vodcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
The site linked by erika1959 in "insta spanish" thread may be a good resource for this activity. http://www.lomastv.com/
I´m certainly going to give this technique a try as I too have trouble recalling a lot of the stuff I know is filed away in the head. Thanks Catica
I just wanted to thank the original poster for this link as I have now subscribed for a Month and find it really good.
landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 10:58 PM   #59
cubix
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlady View Post
I just wanted to thank the original poster for this link as I have now subscribed for a Month and find it really good.
I just watched the demo, it seemed like a interesting concept, maybe Marina could do this in some video podcasts, jump up and down to accent each word!!

Though in all seriousness that looks cool, do the programs get any harder?
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 12:23 AM   #60
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

I have a subscription to Lomas TV that isn't too expensive - I tend to use the programmes about once a week to provide some variety. The clips are variable in their difficulty and quality but they have a 1-5 grading and I find 2 or 3 suits me. They are short which I find good. The music clips are good to listen to but the music generally harks back to genesis or similar!! I usually listen first and follow in English, then listen again and follow in Spanish. Then I play and pause each line checking any words that are unfamiliar. They also have a worksheet/information sheet each week which is referenced to one of the clips and explores some grammar or other aspects of sound track.

I suppose Ben and Marina could do a youtube double act - are you up for that - it is the logical next step and could even tempt me into buying and MP4 player!!