Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Warm up area > A nice place for new members to say hello

Notices

Old 29th December 2006, 04:04 AM   #1
Acosta
Mega Forero

Default Hola desde Los Angeles Khalyfornya :)

Hello from Los Angeles Calif.

My name is Joe this site is a wonderful discovery and I look forward to going through all of the PODCasts and meeting/conversing with other Spanish Speaking people and Ex-Pats living in Spain.

Thanks to Ben & Marina for the web site.

Best
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 08:17 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
Hello from Los Angeles Calif.

My name is Joe this site is a wonderful discovery and I look forward to going through all of the PODCasts and meeting/conversing with other Spanish Speaking people and Ex-Pats living in Spain.

Thanks to Ben & Marina for the web site.

Best
Welcome Joe. You've got a lot of listening & reading ahead!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Welcome Joe. You've got a lot of listening & reading ahead!
Quite true. Step by step.
Old 29th December 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Ben
Hero Forero

Welcome Acosta! Have you been learning Spanish for long?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Welcome Acosta! Have you been learning Spanish for long?
I have studied for two years via a University extension. Right now I the need for both a good review of the 2nd year material and much much more practice speaking which many times the classroom doesnt offer.

Very intresting web site thanks to you and Marina for putting it up.

Last edited by Acosta; 29th December 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 29th December 2006, 05:50 PM   #6
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Hey Joe, welcome to the family.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Hey Joe, welcome to the family.
THanks Richard.

BTW, my wife and I were in Spain for 11 days in April of May of this year. I wish I knew about this site prior to that. I have an old college friend is an Madridleño and my wife has a cousine living in Madrid as well. Needless to say both showed us a great time in Madrid. We spent 7 days in Madrid then 2 days in Barcelona (too short) and then moved on to France. Through my college friend we toured Avila, Segovia, Sepulveda, Las Frutas and few other places a I can not recall.

The biggest shock was my first time in the Bajaras Airport having a lady guard speak castellano at me full speed. All I could think of was, I studied Spanish was that really what they taught me..... The situation was my wifes cousin was going to meet us at the airport. My wifes lugauge arrived by mine did not, we were still waiting for my luagage as more was still coming (even after an hour). So I had the bright idea to go towards the exit and tell the cousin that we were still waiting for our luagage. I tripped the automatic door to open but did not go out, then told her the situation.

After I started to return back lady airport guard start chewing me out in Spanish, of course the first re-action is to ask her if she spoke english, then the no response attempt to use my Spanish in a panic. Eventually I got the point across dispite forgetting words, saying things incorreclty and more. But at the end of the week it start to get better and better.

We really enjoyed our stay and Spain and hope to return again.

I look foward to returning to Spain and hopefully it will be in 2007 and in the mean time I have to raise my level of Spanish.
Old 29th December 2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Hi Acosta, and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
THanks Richard.
The biggest shock was my first time in the Bajaras Airport having a lady guard speak castellano at me full speed. All I could think of was, I studied Spanish was that really what they taught me...
This sounds so familiar... even after five years of watching TVE, I still run into people whom I can't understand! And I'm still struggling with some of the dialogues in 'Ana y los siete', A Spanish sitcom with rapid-fire conversations and lots of children in it.

Perseverance is the key word here. Listen to the Ben & Marina podcasts, watch Spanish-language TV, etc. etc. ... and be patient! Replay the audio fragments, and replay them again if necessary. There is a lot you can do at home which will prepare you for your trips abroad, especially since you have got a computer. There is no more need to go to a language lab these days!

Your efforts will be rewarded eventually. And perhaps we should also keep in mind that some people may be speaking a dialect or some kind of street slang which is probably unintelligible to other native speakers of Spanish as well.

Two years ago I hit a plateau and I thought it would remain like that forever. But recently I realized I could listen to these podcasts without encountering any major problems:

http://hablemosdecine.com/

And

http://www.losblogueros.net/elbloguipodio/

Los Blogueros have a tendency to speak very fast, but I'm actually beginning to enjoy the pace at which they are speaking! Something must have happened in those two years, maybe plateaus are not always what they seem. I admit I went on a four-week Spanish course in Tenerife last November, but this can't be all there is to it. After all, they don't speak Mexican or Peruvian Spanish on Tenerife.

Another tip: use earphones all the time.

BTW, Ben made a compilation of Spanish-language audio sources from all over Spain and Latin America which are really useful:

http://www.notesinspanish.com/catego...ning-practice/

Last edited by Edith; 29th December 2006 at 09:29 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Hi Acosta, and welcome to the forum.

This sounds so familiar... even after five years of watching TVE, I still run into people whom I can't understand! And I'm still struggling with some of the dialogues in 'Ana y los siete', A Spanish sitcom with rapid-fire conversations and lots of children in it.

Perseverance is the key word here. Listen to the Ben & Marina podcasts, watch Spanish-language TV, etc. etc. ... and be patient! Replay them, and replay them again if necessary. There is a lot you can do at home which will prepare you for your trips abroad, especially since you have got a computer. Your efforts will be rewarded eventually. And perhaps we should also keep in mind that some people may be speaking a dialect or some kind of street slang which is probably unintelligible to other native speakers of Spanish as well.

Two years ago I hit a plateau and I thought it would remain like that forever. But recently I realized I could listen to these podcasts without encountering any major problems:

http://hablemosdecine.com/

And

http://www.losblogueros.net/elbloguipodio/

Los Blogueros have a tendency to speak very fast, but I'm actually beginning to enjoy the pace at which they are speaking! Something must have happened in those two years, maybe plateaus are not always what they seem. I admit I went on a four-week Spanish course in Tenerife last November, but this can't be all there is to it. After all, they don't speak Mexican or Peruvian Spanish on Tenerife.

Another tip: use earphones all the time.

BTW, Ben made a compilation of Spanish-language audio sources from all over Spain and Latin America which are really useful:

http://www.notesinspanish.com/catego...ning-practice/
Edith
Thanks for the references and encouragement. Also I have been to the Netherlands twice and my family has friends in Delft. I enjoyed the time that I have spent there (Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft, etc).

Again thanks for the references and actually here in the US through my work I get TVE. I watch the news everyday.
Old 29th December 2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Edith
Thanks for the references and encouragement. Also I have been to the Netherlands twice and my family has friends in Delft. I enjoyed the time that I have spent there (Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft, etc).

Again thanks for the references and actually here in the US through my work I get TVE. I watch the news everyday.
You're welcome!

Delft is really nice and it's famous for its Delfts Blauw azulejos!

I count myself lucky because we have got TV channels in so many different languages over here... although I needed to purchase a special decoder so I could watch TVE. BBC Mundo on the Internet (see Ben's list) is another of my favorite hangouts.
Old 29th December 2006, 09:44 PM   #11
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Greetings from a cool Culebrón - meteroligically rather than metaphorically!

The people here seem really pleasant. I'm sure you'll have a good time as well as learning something new

What's the weather like in LA?
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebronchris View Post
Greetings from a cool Culebrón - meteroligically rather than metaphorically!

The people here seem really pleasant. I'm sure you'll have a good time as well as learning something new

What's the weather like in LA?
Nice to meet you.

For Los Angelinos it is cool, for the rest of the world quite nice. Actually it just rained here and afterwards the city is quite clear and wonderful. Great days to be out.

Highs of 20 C and lows of 7 C, very clear and nice right now and almost no smog!
Old 30th December 2006, 07:27 AM   #13
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
The biggest shock was my first time in the Bajaras Airport having a lady guard speak castellano at me full speed. All I could think of was, I studied Spanish was that really what they taught me..... The situation was my wifes cousin was going to meet us at the airport. My wifes lugauge arrived by mine did not, we were still waiting for my luagage as more was still coming (even after an hour) ...

After I started to return back lady airport guard start chewing me out in Spanish, of course the first re-action is to ask her if she spoke english, then the no response attempt to use my Spanish in a panic. Eventually I got the point across dispite forgetting words, saying things incorreclty and more. But at the end of the week it start to get better and better.
Must have been terminal four. I hate that place. The secret is not to rush through the terminal as I know that I will still have a long wait for my bag.

I am working my slowly through the pimsleur Spanish course and have reached about 1/3 of the second set. Just last night I realised that the pace of speech had increased dramatically AND YET I WAS STILL UNDERSTANDING IT. Well, most of it. As Edith, that wise linguist, said, it's just a matter of perseverence; the same old stuff over and over again, which is how you learnt your native language, but you didn't realise it was repetition at the time. And then it just creeps up on you. Mind you, Pimsleur Spanish is not what they speak at the airport - and I'm just a dozen days away from running that particular gauntlet again.

But I am not despondant because it's 12 days to Madrid and counting down ------- yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30th December 2006, 12:34 PM   #14
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
, it's just a matter of perseverence; the same old stuff over and over again, which is how you learnt your native language
If only we could still be children! Before puberty, kids are able to learn a foreign language in a matter of months!

By the way, they say Pimsleur is one of the best - what is your opinion?
Old 30th December 2006, 02:40 PM   #15
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Pimsleur is tedious and boring and I find myself easily distracted while listening. To concentrate on the half hour lessons is a chore, BUT, even when I have been distracted (and sometimes I start playing freecell when listening to them - the lessons are loaded on the computer) I find I have actually assimilated the lesson. I learn something, but not all from each listening, but find that boringly repeating does work, even when you don't think it has, and I suppose that is the correct way to learn a language. As I said, I hardly noticed that the speed of speech had increased, so on some level it must be working.
Old 31st December 2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Must have been terminal four. I hate that place. The secret is not to rush through the terminal as I know that I will still have a long wait for my bag.

I am working my slowly through the pimsleur Spanish course and have reached about 1/3 of the second set. Just last night I realised that the pace of speech had increased dramatically AND YET I WAS STILL UNDERSTANDING IT. Well, most of it. As Edith, that wise linguist, said, it's just a matter of perseverence; the same old stuff over and over again, which is how you learnt your native language, but you didn't realise it was repetition at the time. And then it just creeps up on you. Mind you, Pimsleur Spanish is not what they speak at the airport - and I'm just a dozen days away from running that particular gauntlet again.

But I am not despondant because it's 12 days to Madrid and counting down ------- yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard,

It was terminal four and now seeing what happened on TV with ETA it some how makes act more personal. Terminal 4 is/was very nice and new. I hope it gets reconstructed and back in shape quickly. I have no idea what ETA planned to accomplish by that act but it is awful. Hopefully a process of dialog can be re-engaged somehow (although I admittedly don't know the history of the issue very well).

As far as tapes etc, they are great but consistent motivation is challenge. They are wonderful learner aids but as an adjunct human interaction is necessary and constant motivator.

Ben & Marina I listed to the first two dialogs very nice. I thinkI will buy the packages that go with them for review. Perhpas there is something more human about your dialogs then some of the other dialogs that one gets through other tapes and perhaps that is what makes it less of a chore (or just different) to listen too.