Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 7th June 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Default What is it with red flowers?

A question for the photography buffs out here: have you ever had any trouble photographing red objects? Last week, I spent almost an hour trying to photograph some poppies, and most of the pictures were blurred. Today, I had the same problem with the flower below. For some reason, the camera (a Canon PowerShot S 70) refuses to focus on the flower. I'd like to know what the cause might be.

Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Not exactly answering the question but... to get your point and shoot to autofocus on something difficult, lock the focus on an object of equal distance, your foot for example, then move the camera and take the photo.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Not exactly answering the question but... to get your point and shoot to autofocus on something difficult, lock the focus on an object of equal distance, your foot for example, then move the camera and take the photo.

Good advice! As my wife is a keen gardener, I am forever trying to take digital photos of particular flowers or scenes (and sometime getting disappointed with the results even after tweaking with photo editing software!).

The secret is in the focusing, as deecree says. This sometimes give you a problem with the rest of the photo unless you can manipulate the depth-of-field as well.

Check out http://digital-photography-school.co...tiful-flowers/ for some good tips.

[Now..... can somebody tell me the secret of capturing silhouette shots of trees at twilight? No matter how much I play with focusing, focal lengths, shutter speeds and time exposures, I still end up with indistinct shots rather than the delicate filigree of the branches I see through the viewfinder! ]

Juanjo
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Thanks for the tips guys, I will give it a try!

Perhaps I will go back to that very same spot today to photograph that flower again - if it hasn't been picked by someone already. It's an orange hawkweed, and these flowers are pretty rare in the wild, at least in Holland.
Old 8th June 2008, 05:17 PM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

you will notice that the clouds reflected in water, i presume, are quite well defined, so the camera is focussing on infinity...the problem is that you are letting the camera make the decisions and it has no way of knowing that you want the actual flower to be in focus not the clouds - deecrees advice is right - turn off autofocus. You may have the option to turn on spot focussing on some cameras, usually a small square or circle appears in the viewfinder to twl you what the camera is looking to focus on..

Last edited by gary; 8th June 2008 at 05:20 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
you will notice that the clouds reflected in water, i presume, are quite well defined, so the camera is focussing on infinity...the problem is that you are letting the camera make the decisions and it has no way of knowing that you want the actual flower to be in focus not the clouds - deecrees advice is right - turn off autofocus. You may have the option to turn on spot focussing on some cameras, usually a small square or circle appears in the viewfinder to twl you what the camera is looking to focus on..
I tried to photograph the flower using several options, including macro, but the problem seems to persist. Here is another shot I took yesterday (the flower was still there). The lower part of the stinging nettle on the right looks perfectly sharp!