Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2008, 02:57 PM   #1
jubilee
Mega Forero
 
jubilee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 264
Default recording for ipod

I am memorising some long passages in Spanish with the fond hope that grammar patterns will get better established in my head. It would be great if instead of just spouting them to myself, I could also record and listen on my ipod. I did a google search on recording AAC files and there are loads of free software sites. I am always dubious about accessing those, and perhaps getting a load of trash. Anyone using somehthng they could recommend for this task?
Thanks
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

I think a lot of people use the free "Audacity" software, though it doesn't record in aac, but will export in mp3 which will of course work fine on your computer. All you need then is a microphone.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
kenpeace
Super Forero
 
kenpeace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 214
Default

Just what I was going to say. I vouch for Audacity. Open source and with sufficient clout for most tasks.

Assuming that you are using iTunes as you mention iPod. Just drag and drop the MP3 into iTunes.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 06:07 PM   #4
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Audacity gets my vote too, used it with no problems for over 2 years

theres also an application called WireTap which records anything that goes through the soundcard - very useful for snatching audio from internet radio. SnapzPro does the same for video. They arent free any more but they are very good. Mac only I think, sorry.

Last edited by gary; 24th June 2008 at 06:12 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
jubilee
Mega Forero
 
jubilee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 264
Default

Well, since with a lot of help, I recently managed to put a LINK in a post (!), I thought that perhaps I was entering the 21st century. However, not doing well with this audacity stuff. Managed to download it, after 3 false starts.... Recorded a short test piece, which I can play back immediately, but no idea how to do anything else with it. If I want to play it on an mp3 palyer looks like I have to download lame-thingy to convert to mp3? What if I want to put it on a CD? Sure that this is intuitive for techie folks but it is a mystery to me..... and not sure it will ever play on an ipod anyway since that is a different format? (I do have an alternative mp3 player, so that isn't the end of the world). Have also seen a microphone for ipod on sale which looks like you just plug into the bottom of the ipod and record directly? Anyone ever used one? Thought that audacity would be more useful, if I can learn how to use it, but have the microphone in mind if all else fails!!

Thanks again to all who share their knowledge!!
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 03:48 PM   #6
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Yes you do have to download the lame-thingy to do mp3s - its a licensing issue - once it is successfully installed Audacity should prompt you to tell it where the lame-thingy is. After that you can either do save-as or export (cant remember which) and select the mp3 option.

Once you have the mp3 drag it over the open itunes window and it should be opened and played.

Select Advanced>Consolidate Library from the menu at the top so that its included in your library and iTunes doesnt lose track if you move the original file

Ater that create a playlist called My Podcasts (theres a plus sign at the bottom rh corner of the window)

From there you can put your mp3 on your iPod

To make a cd click on the playlist, then click burn cd

The hard part of all this is getting the lame-thingy sorted.

Good luck - poco a poco....
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 04:31 PM   #7
jubilee
Mega Forero
 
jubilee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 264
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Yes you do have to download the lame-thingy to do mp3s - its a licensing issue - once it is successfully installed Audacity should prompt you to tell it where the lame-thingy is. After that you can either do save-as or export (cant remember which) and select the mp3 option.

Once you have the mp3 drag it over the open itunes window and it should be opened and played.

Select Advanced>Consolidate Library from the menu at the top so that its included in your library and iTunes doesnt lose track if you move the original file

Ater that create a playlist called My Podcasts (theres a plus sign at the bottom rh corner of the window)

From there you can put your mp3 on your iPod

To make a cd click on the playlist, then click burn cd

The hard part of all this is getting the lame-thingy sorted.

Good luck - poco a poco....

Many thanks for your patience and what looks like idiot-proof instructions
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 06:13 PM   #8
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
Many thanks for your patience and what looks like idiot-proof instructions
My only experience of Audacity is on mac but you still have to do the lamethingy, if you get really stuck I'll hijack a pc and we can do a step a day til we get it...

poco a poco
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
jubilee
Mega Forero
 
jubilee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
My only experience of Audacity is on mac but you still have to do the lamethingy, if you get really stuck I'll hijack a pc and we can do a step a day til we get it...

poco a poco

Many thanks...The idiot-proof instructions above worked !!! Only took a few minutes. I am very happy to have what I wanted recorded AND on my ipod..
jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:02 PM   #10
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco
 
gastephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gales
Posts: 1,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
Many thanks...The idiot-proof instructions above worked !!! Only took a few minutes. I am very happy to have what I wanted recorded AND on my ipod..
If you feel like trying an alternative for the PC, you could try WavePad - it is free, pretty easy to use and will save files in host of different formats, including MP3.

http://nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
Many thanks...The idiot-proof instructions above worked !!! Only took a few minutes. I am very happy to have what I wanted recorded AND on my ipod..
Denada - once you get into it you might like to try the effects - one of which is compression, what this does is essentially make the quiet bits louder and stops the louder bits from distorting by automatically turning them down. Almost all commercially available audio is compressed, especially radio, so that when you are in the car the sound level is even and you dont have to fiddle with the volume all the time. You will notice that TV ads are WAY louder than the programmes - also the power of the compressor....

Glad we could help
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.