Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 17th May 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Default Would you entrust your files to an online source?

Since I'm not a geek, this may be a venture into uncharted territory, but I have got a question about file storage. Is it safe to put your files on a website like this one, instead of making 'ordinary' backups? My provider advises its users to use Filesanywhere:

http://www.filesanywhere.com/
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 08:30 PM   #2
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Since I'm not a geek, this may be a venture into uncharted territory, but I have got a question about file storage. Is it safe to put your files on a website like this one, instead of making 'ordinary' backups? My provider advises its users to use Filesanywhere:

http://www.filesanywhere.com/
Depends what you mean by safe...

Is someone going to steal your data?
Can employees at the company see your data?
Is the company going to be around in a few years?
Does the company's policy give others access to your data for legal reasons?

These are just some questions you have to ask yourself. If their answers are no, or your answers are that you don't care, then you are fine.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 10:11 PM   #3
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Not a geek either (although I have been called a "spanorak", a combination of Spain and anorak!), but I don't think I would use that as a sole place of storage. Might be useful as an additional backup. I have many thousands of photos, and I save them to DVD, and have just bought more storage in the shape of another external HD (500GB), and at the moment that is fine for me. Both DVDs and HD's are relatively cheap nowadays, a 500gb external HD is only about £70+, and DVD's are as cheap as chips.
By the way, Edith, you like to read, have a look here, http://www.elboomeran.com/
and have a look at the videos and audio, some great interviews with Spanish speaking authors. have a listen to Susana Fortes, infectious!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 10:23 PM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Edith - have you been following this thread? Similar question asked about another storage facility. I'd say they are reasonably safe and especially useful if you need to access files from several locations. But not on their own? Use several different methods in case one falls over for the really important stuff (CD's, memory sticks, paper etc). Then you have only to worry about synchronisation
How did we ever manage with 35mm negatives
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
How did we ever manage with 35mm negatives
You had people running into burning buildings to grab their family albums.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 08:55 AM   #6
omeyas

If you travel abroad a lot I could see it being of some value, being able to access it from anywhere. Also depends on what size files you are talking about, I see 120Gb, which nowadays is only a small HD, will cost you $225 a month!!!! My son lent me a 120GB external hard drive that would easily fit into your coat pocket, very light, I think I would rather take that rather than pay that sort of money every year.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Edith
Pangolin Forero

@ Deecree,

I don't think the organization I'm working for would be interested in stealing my data!

@

Greytop,

No, I hadn't seen this thread - otherwise I might have added my message as a post instead of starting a new one. Apparently, there are many different websites providing online storage to their users. Somehow, I intuit CDRoms are still the best option. I agree with Omeyas, they are as cheap as chips.

@ Omeyas,

LOL, 'anorak' is almost a synonym for geek, right? Thanks for your reading tip! It looks like a great site to explore.
Old 18th May 2008, 12:20 PM   #8
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith;50953LOL,
'anorak' is almost a synonym for geek, right? Thanks for your reading tip! It looks like a great site to explore.
I quite like "Spanorak" that someone used elsewhere. It describes us Spanoholics well.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
I quite like "Spanorak" that someone used elsewhere. It describes us Spanoholics well.
Yes, it does! I take it as a compliment.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:00 PM   #10
omeyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
My friend and I used to go to the same Spanish class, and now he teaches up to 3rd year Spanish, and his wife referred to the two of us as "a pair of spanoraks" whenever we were together. I was quite taken by the term!
Old 18th May 2008, 06:02 PM   #11
omeyas

Quote:

@ Omeyas,

LOL, 'anorak' is almost a synonym for geek, right? Thanks for your reading tip! It looks like a great site to explore.
Yes, more or less. I think it started with really boring, anal people, like trainspotters, because of the style of dress,. ie anoraks. It then extended to equally boring people like us!
Old 18th May 2008, 06:05 PM   #12
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Espangeeks.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 08:11 PM   #13
gary
Samuri Forero

All depends how paranoin you are, I run a number of small commercial websites, each one is backed up to dedicated ftp server, I download a copy of my backup to store on my own computer and I upload a copy to my dotmac account.

Most of what I dio can be done online from any internet connected computer. I find the collaboration facility afforded by googledocs quite valuable. They do WP, Spreadsheets and Presentations and are getting better all the time.

One things for certail - if you have material such as photos that you value - keep them in at least 2 places
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
One things for certail - if you have material such as photos that you value - keep them in at least 2 places
Definitely!
Old 19th May 2008, 01:18 AM   #15
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Yes, more or less. I think it started with really boring, anal people, like trainspotters

Quote:
because of the style of dress,. ie anoraks.
Birdwatchers wear them, too!

Quote:
It then extended to equally boring people like us!
Yawn... learning Spanish is sooooo boring!
Old 19th May 2008, 01:23 AM   #16
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Espangeeks.
Spanerds
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 08:45 AM   #17
omeyas

Quote:

Birdwatchers wear them, too!
Not sure if they still do, but they would definitely fit the category! We have recently come back from a month in Spain, and we spent some time in a rural hotel outside Ronda (for the fifth time) and that is very much bird watching country, and a lot of "twitchers" (bird watchers) stay there. I have to say, these were quite "normal" and interesting people, although they did have some strange habits, like going out before dawn, and being out late at night to catch some nightjars. We have got to know the owners well over the years, and the deal was I photograph all of her hotel for her new webpage, and we stay for nothing. We were both happy with the deal. In another place we stayed, they were having a new webpage as well, and we did the same there, and had a free week.A sort of working holiday, but as I love photography, I don't regard it as work, the real work was when we got home, with many hundreds of photos to process. But all have been delivered now, and everyone is happy!
Old 21st May 2008, 09:43 AM   #18
tehfincheh
Forero

Storing files in the "cloud" is the future and will ultimately overtake hard drive storage. More and more sites are cropping up - some very promising startups in the mix - and there's already a shift in mainstream apps.

It won't be long, for example, until Google's set of online apps begins to challenge Microsoft Office.
tehfincheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 09:53 AM   #19
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Yes, a lot of people rave about Google Basecamp. However this guy isn't so impressed and he lists various alternatives:
http://www.whybasecampsux.org/

He gives a list of both hosted services and open-source software for project management.

For myself I always like to compare software tools by doing this on a google search "Basecamp versus Sharepoint" (or whatever software tools you are comparing).
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote