Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 26th May 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
88keys07
Alberto

Default How long have you owned a Mac?

This is not the typical Mac vs PC fight, but I've been strongly interested in Mac's lately and am thinking of getting one. Do you or anyone you know have any personal experience with them? what have you enjoyed? what things went wrong? like I said...don't compare it with PC's, as I have a PC already and I know the Pro's and Con's of both OS (Mostly, i think). btw, I'm getting a Macbook, if that changes your frame of reference. Thanks

Do you think its worth the money and time needed to convert to a Macbook? What has been your experience?
88keys07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:07 AM   #2
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys07 View Post
This is not the typical Mac vs PC fight...don't compare it with PC's...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! We'll see how long that sentiment lasts.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:09 AM   #3
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Macs are excellent, but you will be paying a premium on a machine that is exactly the same as one that you could buy for hundreds of dollars less. But you could argue the money goes towards buying a very good OS...

Last edited by deecree; 26th May 2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 26th May 2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys07 View Post
This is not the typical Mac vs PC fight, but I've been strongly interested in Mac's lately and am thinking of getting one. Do you or anyone you know have any personal experience with them? what have you enjoyed? what things went wrong? like I said...don't compare it with PC's, as I have a PC already and I know the Pro's and Con's of both OS (Mostly, i think). btw, I'm getting a Macbook, if that changes your frame of reference. Thanks

Do you think its worth the money and time needed to convert to a Macbook? What has been your experience?
Pros: No headaches or worries about viruses. Easier to use and manage. Just plug in and start working.

Cons: Dealing with all the Mac haters.

I've been a Mac owner for the past 8 years, both a desktop and a laptop. My experience has been excellent and I would never use anything else. Once you buy Mac, you will never go back (to using a PC). Apple's customer service is excellent, responsive and professional.

Be sure to buy the Apple Care Protection Plan, which is the extended warranty. That's worth its weight in gold. Last year my screen got damaged and if I hadn't had the Apple Care plan fixing it would've cost me $678. Instead, Apple fixed my screen for free.

One of my best friends resisted buying a Mac for years because she couldn't believe that it would be a signifciantly better experience than the one she had had with her Compaq. But when she read a Consumer Reports report on laptops and saw how well the Macs rated, she was finally sold. Within 24 hours of buying her Macbook she emailed me ecstatic. She said that she couldn't believe she had been so stubborn and that she could already tell that using a Mac was the best decision she could've made. I'd suggest that you check out Consumer Reports and read what they have to say if you need more convincing.

Good luck!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 09:17 AM   #5
gary
Samuri Forero

I have been running Macs for over 20 years. I actually did work on a Mac Classic! - wish I still had it.

As everyone here knows my house is a Mac Zone. We have three currently, two macbook pros and an elderly iMac. The latter is at keast 10 tears old and still runs Tiger, a pretty uptodate OS. It can do email, surf the web and productivity stuff - Word, Powerpoint, Excel. Yes, the macs are more expensive than the loss leader low spec PCs that are sold by the big chains but the value for money is high - any computer still running a viable OS after 10 years has to be good VFM.
We have an AppleStore nearby so if there are any issues we take the machines in and theyre sorted same day. We have had 2 isssues in the last 3 years: 1) a knackered DVD drive on one of the MacBook Pros whiche was replaced, and 2) a piece of trim came loose on a MacBook (owned by son's girlfriend) and they replaced the whole clamshell within 2 hours. If you are considering a laptop then you can either take out the 3 year parts and labour Applecare which is a great service or alternatively pay monthly for cover with someone like PC World - the advantage of the latter is that it covers accidental damage, Applecare doesnt.

Macbooks are great but I wouldnt buy for the next month or so, theres a revision due and prices always drop. When the MacBook Air comes down to £800 I'll have one of those - go hold one at your nearest applestore, they're beautiful.

Both Ben and ValenciaSon have switched to apples in the recent past and I know both are very happy with them.

Dont let the Mac bashers put you off with their "whats the point of paying all that money for a Ferrari when you can buy a Fiat Picanto that does the same job of getting to the shops for a fraction of the price?" agument. There would be no art if everyone only bought cheap and barely functional.

Form is as important as function. Even unpacking the box is a pleasure... Go on you know you want one, just do it!

Last edited by gary; 26th May 2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typos
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Ben
Hero Forero

I was a Mac user until about 7 years ago, when I went to PC's as at that point having a Mac in Spain was difficult (it was hard to find internet service providers that understood how to get a mac online for example, no longer the case). Then a year and a bit ago I bought a macbook and have never been happier. Apart from just owning something that looks so nice, the OS is really really nice, and this little machine is just as powerful as any normal PC standalone tower.

I got 2gb of ram put in mine, I would get 4 now if I got a new machine and could afford to do so, though 2gb is fine. I would get the biggest hard drive you can though, it's amazing how fast these things fill up.

So, my Macbook experience has been totally positive. There are lots of 'switchers guides' out there, including on the Apple site. I use my Macbook for running all these sites, auido, video and photo editing, everything you can imagine, and it is a real work horse. I'd get another one in a second. I'd wait until after the next Apple Developer Conference though (is it June 7th or 9th?) just in case any revisions are launched then.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 10:21 AM   #7
gary
Samuri Forero

Note on RAM: Fitting new ram is something that can be done by the user - you either take off the keyboard and its under there or its under the battery depending on the model. Also you can buy Non Apple branded ram very reasonably
Old 26th May 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
eldeano
He's the most tip top

I used to have a mac for many years. My mum made me wear it.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:40 AM   #9
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Macs are excellent, but you will be paying a premium on a machine that is exactly the same as one that you could buy for hundreds of dollars less. But you could argue the money goes towards buying a very good OS...
But I think their hardware is also exceptional.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 01:00 PM   #10
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
I used to have a mac for many years. My mum made me wear it.
2 button or 3 button? - a real mac onl has 1 button
Old 26th May 2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Deecree,
Can you please post an example of this price premium? We need an Apples to apples comparison. The last time we had this debate in the forum I posted the price of a Sony VAIO that was packing pretty much the same specs as a Macbook and there was only a $100 difference in price. If you compare an Apple computer to a PC competitor packing approximately the same stuff, I don't think the price premium is as great as it once was. It's a myth that Apples are outrageously expensive. And for Europeans traveling to the U.S., they can get an Apple for a song, thanks to the weak dollar. Also, to have a computer that operates smoothly right out of the box, does what it is asked of it and more AND comes with a world-wide guarantee that is honored with no hassles and no run around regardless of whether I'm in Brooklyn or Beijing, I'd pay a "premium" for that level of peace of mind any day.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 03:22 PM   #12
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
But I think their hardware is also exceptional.
The outside, maybe. The inside is just the same as a PC with a mark-up of a few hundred percent.
If you are buying a Mac, you are buying a fancy outside, a very good OS and probably some efficient support.
Old 26th May 2008, 03:26 PM   #13
eldeano
He's the most tip top

So, apart from a fancy outside, a very good OS and porbably some efficient support, what has a Mac ever done for you?
Old 26th May 2008, 03:31 PM   #14
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
Deecree,
Can you please post an example of this price premium? We need an Apples to apples comparison. The last time we had this debate in the forum I posted the price of a Sony VAIO that was packing pretty much the same specs as a Macbook and there was only a $100 difference in price. If you compare an Apple computer to a PC competitor packing approximately the same stuff, I don't think the price premium is as great as it once was. It's a myth that Apples are outrageously expensive. And for Europeans traveling to the U.S., they can get an Apple for a song, thanks to the weak dollar. Also, to have a computer that operates smoothly right out of the box, does what it is asked of it and more AND comes with a world-wide guarantee that is honored with no hassles and no run around regardless of whether I'm in Brooklyn or Beijing, I'd pay a "premium" for that level of peace of mind any day.
A 300% markup for a VAIO and a 300% markup for a MacBook? Of course there is no difference.
Take an iMac though. Price up a decent ATX motherboard, a fast Intel Dual Core processor, a 256MB Video card, a 500GB HDD, a cheap ATX case and a 16" LCD screen and you'll see you've just paid $600.

I too would consider paying a premium for that service. I didn't say the premium wasn't worth it. If there weren't a host of other gadgets I'd prefer instead of a world-wide guarantee, I'd get a Mac.
Old 26th May 2008, 03:58 PM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
I'd get a Mac.
Are you sure you want one?
Old 26th May 2008, 04:53 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:

I too would consider paying a premium for that service. I didn't say the premium wasn't worth it. If there weren't a host of other gadgets I'd prefer instead of a world-wide guarantee, I'd get a Mac.
So thats it then, you want one but you cant afford one, why didnt you say
Old 26th May 2008, 05:01 PM   #17
guapo
Mega Forero

it's coming up on a year since I bought a 24" iMac and I don't regret it for a second. It does everything I need, looks great and I can also run Windows on it fine when I am forced to for work. Of course, Apple has a markup on the hardware but a Mac is more than a collection of hardware components.

I have to mention that I am writing this from a hotel in Cupertino, California - just across the road from the center of the Apple universe - so maybe the Steve Jobs reality distortion field is affecting my judgement.
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:03 PM   #18
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
so maybe the Steve Jobs reality distortion field is affecting my judgement.
Is that a bit like the Googleporter?
Old 26th May 2008, 05:05 PM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
it's coming up on a year since I bought a 24" iMac and I don't regret it for a second. It does everything I need, looks great and I can also run Windows on it fine when I am forced to for work. Of course, Apple has a markup on the hardware but a Mac is more than a collection of hardware components.

I have to mention that I am writing this from a hotel in Cupertino, California - just across the road from the center of the Apple universe - so maybe the Steve Jobs reality distortion field is affecting my judgement.

Hey, the RDF does work!
Old 26th May 2008, 05:18 PM   #20
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
So thats it then, you want one but you cant afford one, why didnt you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Are you sure you want one?
Yes, frankly.

If I had a spare $1000 to pay on top of my $600 I'd buy a really nice 24" iMac and be very happy.
But merely having a non-spare $1000, I can buy the components cheaply and make do with something beige or black. I'll use the extra cash to do or buy something else.

Last edited by deecree; 26th May 2008 at 05:33 PM.