Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 26th May 2008, 05:24 PM   #21
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecree View Post
Yes, frankly.

If I had a spare $1000 I'd buy a really nice 24" iMac and be very happy.
But merely having a non-spare $1000, I can buy the components cheaply and make do with something beige or black. I'll use the extra cash to do or buy something else.
Get a refurb. And buy an apple warranty.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 26th May 2008 at 08:08 PM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:51 PM   #22
mysalsa
Forero Senior

I've owned a Mac for four months and I couldn't be happier with it.
mysalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Beckett
Mega Forero

I think this thread has been great therapy for Deecree, helping him get in touch with his true wants and desires. Gary and Valencia Son, way to get Deecree to crack and get him to confess his deepest longings. Sigmund Freud couldn't have done it any better!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 08:10 PM   #24
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
I think this thread has been great therapy for Deecree, helping him get in touch with his true wants and desires. Gary and Valencia Son, way to get Deecree to crack and get him to confess his deepest longings. Sigmund Freud couldn't have done it any better!
It's a therapeutic modality known as nondirected guidance. As you can see, it can be very effective.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:55 PM   #25
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
You can look through all my posts and you'll find I am mostly positive about Macs. I'd even bet I've said a few times that I'd even buy one if I had the money - so I've hardly cracked, nor have I confessed anything new.
What I really wish is to be able to install Mac OS X on my custom built hardware - but I guess if I did Steve Jobs would starve.
deecree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:41 PM   #26
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
You can look through all my posts and you'll find I am mostly positive about Macs. I'd even bet I've said a few times that I'd even buy one if I had the money - so I've hardly cracked, nor have I confessed anything new.
What I really wish is to be able to install Mac OS X on my custom built hardware - but I guess if I did Steve Jobs would starve.
Itscalled a Hackintosh - details here...

more here

Im off to find out how to get a V12 engine into a Reliant Robin...

Last edited by gary; 26th May 2008 at 11:43 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 05:57 AM   #27
88keys07
Alberto

Ha ha...thanks guys for your experiences. There is no lack of comics here.

I'm mostly buying a Macbook for the OS. I've heard great things about it, and I really want a change of pace from the Windows I keep looking through. I understand Deecree's point of view though...I usually don't have a spare $1000 lying around, but as I am going to school and getting some scholarships and grants, I figure I might as well get something that is more expensive and has a good reputation even though i can find laptops with better specs for cheap. I also figure that choosing Mac will pay off in the end...and who knows? I may become a convert.

I plan on waiting for the newly released Macbook. They are either expected June 9th at the WWDC or sometime July. I have a Google alert on all macbooks, and its amazing how people are probing Apple in their blogs. So far, I've found out that in Apples Job section they are looking for an iPhone Engineer who is required to have GPS experience...Apple also has 118 crates labeled electric computers on the way...and they have a patent for solar cell energy for their laptops and iPhone/Touch devices...cool huh?
88keys07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 06:13 AM   #28
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys07 View Post
Ha ha...thanks guys for your experiences. There is no lack of comics here.

I'm mostly buying a Macbook for the OS. I've heard great things about it, and I really want a change of pace from the Windows I keep looking through. I understand Deecree's point of view though...I usually don't have a spare $1000 lying around, but as I am going to school and getting some scholarships and grants, I figure I might as well get something that is more expensive and has a good reputation even though i can find laptops with better specs for cheap. I also figure that choosing Mac will pay off in the end...and who knows? I may become a convert.
Probably a good buy. One of the best things about the Mac OS is that although you're paying more money for the same hardware, you'll get more out of that hardware than you would with Windows. Anti-virus + Anti-spyware + buggy Windows + MS Products means a gig of memory is lost as soon as you power up the machine.
No-one writes viruses for ancient Unix and so Mac OS X and Linux get off easy. Better handling of memory in Unix means none of this rebooting to start afresh nonsense. Leave your PC on for a year straight if it pleases you.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:50 AM   #29
88keys07
Alberto

How much ram and hard drive space do you guys think is necessary? I only do web browsing, MS Office activities, watch DVDs, and episodes online...do you think that merits the need for 2gb? or can I save my money?

I'm also wondering about HD space. I have about 30gb of music, and a few for pictures...so I may get more than the standard 120gb. But I don't know yet.

Any word on what the standards will be for the new macbooks?
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:12 AM   #30
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:
How much ram and hard drive space do you guys think is necessary? I only do web browsing, MS Office activities, watch DVDs, and episodes online...do you think that merits the need for 2gb? or can I save my money?

I'm also wondering about HD space. I have about 30gb of music, and a few for pictures...so I may get more than the standard 120gb. But I don't know yet.

You'll need 2gb if you want to do all that at the same time. The other way you'll use 2gb is if you ran Windows at the same time in a virtual machine.

I think the hard drives are standard 2.5"s. I'd get the smallest one from Apple to save cash, then buy a larger one from elsewhere for half the price and swap it out - though I wouldn't be surprised if Apple prevented you from doing that somehow... like a voided warranty or case with no screws to open. [insert gary's advice here]
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:40 AM   #31
88keys07
Alberto

The hard drive isn't that difficult to remove. I found a website called www.macsales.com that sell the hardware for Apple everythings and have a video tutorial on how to switch hard drives and RAM (for all you mac owners out there). So, I could do that...but I do remember reading that it does void the warrenty. (and you use a coin to twist the battery off...it becomes apparent in the tutorial)

Then I may go to 2gb's, as I tend to run iTunes in the background while surfing the web and typing a paper all at the same time. But I can do that with my PC that has only 1gb just fine. Thats why I was wondering what that would be in Mac "currency".
Old 2nd June 2008, 03:26 AM   #32
DocMolly
Molita

I got a Mac about 2 yrs ago... and ever since spend at least 2 hours a day on the computer. BEWARE... you'll get hooked. It has been good for my Spanish, however.
My MacMini did just break down (the mother board went bad), and this was after have 2 y pico years. I had Apple Care and they sent a technician to my house... in the boondocks of Northern Minnesota and fixed it for free. So I agree with Beckett, get the Apple Care protection plan.
DocMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:19 AM   #33
88keys07
Alberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMolly View Post
BEWARE... you'll get hooked...they sent a technician to my house... in the boondocks of Northern Minnesota and fixed it for free. So I agree with Beckett, get the Apple Care protection plan.
Ha ha...I've long since been hooked on computers. Thanks to school, I spend more than...well, its a lot of time lets say .

I will get AppleCare. From what I hear, I believe that i can buy it anytime within the first year of purchase. So I might buy it, then wait a few months (when I get my hands on some more dough/quid ) and then I'll buy it. It doesn't extend the overall warranty at all, but at least I won't have to spend it all in one bundle
Old 2nd June 2008, 05:07 AM   #34
deecree
Errant in Forolandia

Quote:

Then I may go to 2gb's, as I tend to run iTunes in the background while surfing the web and typing a paper all at the same time. But I can do that with my PC that has only 1gb just fine. Thats why I was wondering what that would be in Mac "currency".
1gb it is then. Remember, with a unix-based OS like Mac OSX you'll have all that extra RAM left over from not running a virus scanner or anti-spyware.

If you are not messing around with audio, video or images, nor with virtual machines or hard-core physics, I doubt you'll ever need more that a 2ghz 32bit dual core processor and 1gb of RAM. My suegro has a 700mhz/384mb machine that he only uses to surf the web and use an office suite. It zips along nicely.
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:28 PM   #35
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:

RAM is a component that Apple allows users to fit - remember that it doesnt have to be Apple Branded Ram...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 06:17 PM   #36
Liam
Super Forero

To answer the question posed in the original post: I have an Apple IIc that I got as a gift at age 12. And it's still in the closet or garage somewhere, so...24 years! The old green screen was a treat. I think it had a 1 MHz processor.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 06:39 PM   #37
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
To answer the question posed in the original post: I have an Apple IIc that I got as a gift at age 12. And it's still in the closet or garage somewhere, so...24 years! The old green screen was a treat. I think it had a 1 MHz processor.
Wow! You should donate that to the Smithsonian or sell it on eBay. Or better yet, give it to Deecree! He'll find a way to bring it into the 21st century!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:37 AM   #38
midnightgolfer
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I also have had Mac's in my life for nearly as long as I can remember. Mac's are not the only computers I have had to use, whether at home, in school or for work, but they are the only one's I have ever chosen to spend my own money on.
I was a bit dismayed, upon moving here to Europe, to find that I could no longer purchase a new Apple product and have it compare to non-Apple products of similar spec's, for similar price. My personal experience, in the U.S., was that Mac's were just as affordable as other brands, when compared feature for feature, specification for specification. (Not apples to oranges, as they say.) Here it seems they pay an unreasonably high surcharge for Mac's, or perhaps it's just the exchange rate and the IVA?
midnightgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:47 AM   #39
88keys07
Alberto

Quote:
1gb it is then. Remember, with a unix-based OS like Mac OSX you'll have all that extra RAM left over from not running a virus scanner or anti-spyware.

If you are not messing around with audio, video or images, nor with virtual machines or hard-core physics, I doubt you'll ever need more that a 2ghz 32bit dual core processor and 1gb of RAM. My suegro has a 700mhz/384mb machine that he only uses to surf the web and use an office suite. It zips along nicely.
hmm...I didn't think about not running spyware etc. That probably would lighten the load significantly. Out of curiosity, I'll probably go and test my activities at the Apple store and see how well they hold up (Can a Mac handle me? or will they be begging for mercy? )

The system I am running right now is plenty fast for me:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 300+
1.81Ghz, 1gb RAM

So that does bring it into a bit more perspective.

btw, I hear that starting tomorrow Apple will be starting an education promo give away an iPod Touch 8gb free with a Mac purchase.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:42 PM   #40
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Anybody have a recommendation for a camera like the iSight which can be used with a Mac mini?