Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 18th June 2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Firefox 3 is out!

If you are still using Internet Explorer to surf the web, a better experience awaits!

http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
que
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
If you are still using Internet Explorer to surf the web, a better experience awaits!

I downloaded it while in beta a few days before, and it did some funny things with flash, that was after they fixed the onKeyUp/Down listener bug

So i un-installed it, it didn't fit with my plans for Flash work domination. I will check it out now it is public. Did it make the Guinness book of records for most downloads in 24hours? they were trying to set a record, although i don't think one currently existed
que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
Did it make the Guinness book of records for most downloads in 24hours? they were trying to set a record, although i don't think one currently existed
Could be tricky seeing as the site was down a lot yesterday from so many people trying to download it!

Just noticed a cool thing though... I have the 'Foxy Tunes' extension installed. This lets me click a little icon at the bottom right of this post box to tell you this :
---------------- Now playing: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black via FoxyTunes
Old 18th June 2008, 11:07 AM   #4
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

I tried the beta version a while back, but at the moment it does not support most of the add ons, so I reverted to the older version. I like to use tinyurl, disposable address, and a lot of sites I could not view without adblock plus.
They can put all the scrolling, flashing ads they like, I don't see any of them! A photographic site I visit is awash with garish ads, and whilst some people seem happy to endure them, I hate them, so I zap them all. I realise ads are a good source of income for some sites, but they do nothing to enhance my surfing experience, and judging by the number of downloads, I am not alone!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Hmmm, the adblocker dilemna is a tricky one. I also had glaring flashing ads, but about half the sites we use on the net could not exist without them. Worse still, a huge number or writers and creative people are paid through ad revenue. No ads would mean far less content.

At the end of the day though, ad companies know about the existence of ad blockers, and now use other ways to get through to us: product placement, carefully produced viral content on sites like youtube... they will get us in the end. If it means creative people get to keep working, I don't really mind.
Old 18th June 2008, 01:29 PM   #6
omeyas

Quote:
Hmmm, the adblocker dilemna is a tricky one. I also had glaring flashing ads, but about half the sites we use on the net could not exist without them. Worse still, a huge number or writers and creative people are paid through ad revenue. No ads would mean far less content.
Of course, I would expect you to be in favour Ben, as I said, they are a valuable source of revenue for a lot of people. However, given the choice of blocking them or viewing them, of course I will block them. Up until a few years ago, there were no such things as ad blockers, because there was no need for them. The adverts sat unobstrusively somewhere off to the side, they didn't scroll or flash, and they didn't annoy. But they have become such a nuisance, that someone in their wisdom, has seen fit to write a programme to block them.

Quote:
At the end of the day though, ad companies know about the existence of ad blockers, and now use other ways to get through to us: product placement, carefully produced viral content on sites like youtube... they will get us in the end. If it means creative people get to keep working, I don't really mind.
Of course the companies know of the blockers, and as fast as they devise a way around the blockers, programmes are constantly being updated to further thwart them. I personally think their adverts are counterproductive, people could live when them before they went all hi tech. And of course, preventing them from loading means pages load quicker.
Currently I see they have 302,441 weekly downloads, 19,745,910 total downloads. That's a lot of people fed up with the ads.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
... Did it make the Guinness book of records for most downloads in 24hours? they were trying to set a record, although i don't think one currently existed
Record was held by Firefox 2!! I've been using FF 3 on Ubuntu for some weeks and apart from a lack of some plug-in conversions it seems very stable. Not a great Flash user though, so might be in for a suprise yet.

This was a remark from one site at 8:35 yesterday evening:

Firefox website are down right now because of the number of downloads. It is easier to download Firefox 3.0 on the Japanese website

and a map of the downloads here
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 04:25 PM   #8
madrid2008
Forero

I tried to download it 1 min after the release, but it was 3 hours later before I actually managed it.

First impressions are good, but yet to see anything to get too excited about.
madrid2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Of course, I would expect you to be in favour Ben, as I said, they are a valuable source of revenue for a lot of people.
I took all the ads off here, except for ads for our Spanish stuff, but in general I'm not sure I'm in favour of ad blockers or not. I hate the flashing stuff too, but if you favourite photography site got shut down as everyone was blocking their ads, wouldn't that be a shame?
Old 18th June 2008, 06:13 PM   #10
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
I took all the ads off here, except for ads for our Spanish stuff, but in general I'm not sure I'm in favour of ad blockers or not. I hate the flashing stuff too, but if you favourite photography site got shut down as everyone was blocking their ads, wouldn't that be a shame?
I use text ads on my site, they are contextual and relevant, by and large to the people that visit. Ads work where people come looking for info. My site offers teachers links to sites I have used and find useful in the classroom. Of course the links i provide may not fill the bill so google slots some suggestions in. I reckon, by the number of folk that click them, its useful.

Whats more it financed my GME trip and will cover the cost of tuition and accommodation for my fornight in BCN in august. So, all in all I'm an ad fan on financial grounds but, to be honest the flash and pictiure ads dont bother me. I dont look at them.

Does one cut all the ads out of the papers? Or timeshift all TV to cut out ads (er.. actually i do this with TV). Fact is that media would cost more if ads didnt pay the bills. No ads no photography mags, Frank... no Broadsheet newspapers, virtually no tv...

And if youve got a mobile prepare to be cheesed off - more and more of these are being fitted with GPS and its certainly not for your convenience - its so google (or someone) knows where you are and can send you a text to tell you theres a Starbucks round the corner or A Pizzahut over the road....

Welcome to the future - except Big Brother is selling us stuff!!

PS - I rather fancy spending the New year in Spain so if youd all like to follow the link in my sig and do the decent thing...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 06:50 PM   #11
gary
Samuri Forero

and just to keep us on thread - FF3 seems fine on my Mac
Old 18th June 2008, 06:53 PM   #12
omeyas

Quote:
Does one cut all the ads out of the papers?
Do they flash and scroll? As I said, when they sat unobtrusively on the page/screen there isn't a problem

Quote:
Or timeshift all TV to cut out ads (er.. actually i do this with TV). Fact is that media would cost more if ads didnt pay the bills. No ads no photography mags, Frank... no Broadsheet newspapers, virtually no tv

Watch very, very little TV, and almost certainly not ITV. And we have gone from buying a paper every day, to about one a week, so no loss there.

Quote:
And if youve got a mobile prepare to be cheesed off - more and more of these are being fitted with GPS and its certainly not for your convenience - its so google (or someone) knows where you are and can send you a text to tell you theres a Starbucks round the corner or A Pizzahut over the road....
I have a mobile, only because of illness and my wife bought me one, but it is hardly ever used, I can't think when I used it last. There still remains quite a lot of of the £10 credit put in about 12 months ago. I don't even know where it is at the moment, but it'll be switched off. And I can assure you, my antiquated mobile certainly ain't got GPS!

Quote:
Welcome to the future - except Big Brother is selling us stuff!!
I think they have mainly drawn a blank with me.

Quote:
PS - I rather fancy spending the New year in Spain so if youd all like to follow the link in my sig and do the decent thing...
I'll resist, thanks. Like you, I have also enjoyed free holidays, over 2 months last year, thanks to photo sales.
Old 18th June 2008, 09:36 PM   #13
greytop
Hero Forero

Frank, Your mobile credit has almost certainly expired by now and maybe the number won't work either should you decide to try it again.
Old 18th June 2008, 09:43 PM   #14
greytop
Hero Forero

Default Firefox 3 gets world record

Update
La fundación Mozilla ha entrado ya en el libro de los récords Guinness gracias a los seis millones de descargas gratuitas que los usuarios de la red han hecho del último modelo de navegador, el Firefox 3.0, y cuando todavía no ha finalizado el plazo de gratuidad de 24 horas.

Estados Unidos es, por el momento y con más de un tercio de las descargas, el país en el que más usuarios han realizado la descarga gratuita del Firefox 3.0, que ofrece más de 15.000 mejoras respecto a su antecesor.
(from ABC.ES technology section)
Old 19th June 2008, 11:28 AM   #15
Perro Callejero
El Perro Callejero

Quote:

I made the switch nearly 2 and a half years ago! Never looked back. I'm not much in-the-know as far as other technical matters go, though so thanks for the heads up on the new version!
Perro Callejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 12:00 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Watch very, very little TV, and almost certainly not ITV. And we have gone from buying a paper every day, to about one a week, so no loss there.
Theres a series called Grumpy Old Men you might enjoy - I certainly do - theres a comonality of themes that all of us gentlemen of a certain age complain about - your advertising irks ar definitely a feature as are my irritations with the "tax people into being green" lobby. I too dont get a newspaper, the ads dont bother me I prefer to form my own opinions rather than read someone else's

Oh, and the holidays we had arent free - they are a reward for time effort and energy applied to our respective projects and the skills we have amassed over the years and brought to bear in realising them...
Old 19th June 2008, 12:28 PM   #17
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Oh, and the holidays we had arent free
You say they aren't, Frank says they are. Make your minds up.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 01:04 PM   #18
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
You say they aren't, Frank says they are. Make your minds up.
You sat patahto and I say potayto.... Wheres VS when you need him?
Old 19th June 2008, 01:17 PM   #19
greytop
Hero Forero

Free at point of use would cover it?
Old 19th June 2008, 01:44 PM   #20
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
Free at point of use would cover it?

suppose it would

....and, just to stay on topic, FF3 has behaved well since I downloaded it yesterday.
It seems faster at loading pages, especially from cache, and scrolls really smoothly, no glitches yet but, sadly doesnt natively load pdfs (on a Mac)