Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2007, 09:29 PM   #21
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
Totally agree, brilliant film!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 10:15 PM   #22
tad
virtual idiot
 
tad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: palmers green
Posts: 2,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parubin View Post
Valenciason :
Have you seen Scorsese's new short film made as a spot for Spanish winery Freixenet??
Here's the link to it : http://www.scorsesefilmfreixenet.com/video_esp.htm
Scocese es enano o el to que hablaba con l un gigante?

Very amusing, his Spanish seems pretty good, (he is Italian isn't he?)
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 11:13 PM   #23
tomc52
Super Forero
 
tomc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 113
Default

Maybe I'm alone in this but I would love to read more about everyday life in Spain. As someone who plans to live there I'm very interested in the minor details, traffic, food shopping, neighbors, work, etc.
Does anyone else agree?
tomc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 12:06 AM   #24
Pat1
Wanderlust
 
Pat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc52 View Post
Maybe I'm alone in this but I would love to read more about everyday life in Spain. As someone who plans to live there I'm very interested in the minor details, traffic, food shopping, neighbors, work, etc.
Does anyone else agree?
Yes, definitely. Really good idea. You should start a threat (or I could but i don't want to steal your thunder) asking people to put in their two cents.
Pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 08:05 AM   #25
richardksa
Jedi Forero
 
richardksa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,848
Default

Sit back and listen to the Katie Malua Album "Piece by Piece". She hasnt the best voice in the world, but her interpretation of the songs is wonderful.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 08:07 AM   #26
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc52 View Post
Maybe I'm alone in this but I would love to read more about everyday life in Spain. As someone who plans to live there I'm very interested in the minor details, traffic, food shopping, neighbors, work, etc.
Does anyone else agree?
I'll happily do a few posts on this on the blog if you let me know more of the things you'd all like to know about, but definitely start a thread here too!

Last edited by Ben; 30th November 2007 at 08:12 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 08:40 AM   #27
Pepino
Soy La Leche!
 
Pepino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc52 View Post
Maybe I'm alone in this but I would love to read more about everyday life in Spain. As someone who plans to live there I'm very interested in the minor details, traffic, food shopping, neighbors, work, etc.
This made me think of the last 24hrs of my life in Spain. I spent all day yesterday in work until 9pm, just managed to buy something from the supermarket before it shut, got home, did some more work, slept (kind of, as I was constantly interrupted by passing ambulances and noisy scooters as usual, was woken up by a neighbour upstairs walking around in heels on a tile floor at 430am, was sqeezed like a sardine onto the Metro, and now Im in work again! (Ok, so Im taking a moment to write this ).

What a depressing 24 hours!

So Im going to add another recommendation. Its just for me but you can copy it if you like

..........."Enjoy the weekend!"
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 09:22 AM   #28
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I'll happily do a few posts on this on the blog if you let me know more of the things you'd all like to know about, but definitely start a thread here too!
Here's the first, thanks for the inspiration:
Everyday life in Spain 1 - Urban Neighbours
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 09:24 AM   #29
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
I spent all day yesterday in work until 9pm
I think that makes you nearly Spanish! Enjoy the weekend before they take that from you too

(Only joking )
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 09:47 AM   #30
parubin
el del espejo
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canary Islands / Spain
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I just saw it. Very Hitchock, I must say. I liked it but then I'm biased. Have you heard of the new film Scorcese is working on? It's a documentary on the Rolling Stones.

BTW, I think anything Charlie Parker put out is great.
I think the music in the spot is Herrman's main tune in 'North by Northwest'.

I love the end of Scorsese's homage to Hitchcock in the Freixenet short-film, the final shot when he blends 'Rear Window' with 'The Birds'. He shows such great talent and love for films even when making a commercial ad.

I didnt know about the Stones' documentary. I'm looking forward to it, It'll be fantastic if it is nearly as good as 'No Direction Home' (he's recent documentary on Bob Dylan).

I remember many powerful Rolling Stones songs in various of his films (Goodfellas, Casino, The Departed...).

One of his latest movies that I like better is 'Gangs of New York', although many Scorsese's fans do not agree with me.
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 03:05 PM   #31
tomc52
Super Forero
 
tomc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
This made me think of the last 24hrs of my life in Spain. I spent all day yesterday in work until 9pm, just managed to buy something from the supermarket before it shut, got home, did some more work, slept (kind of, as I was constantly interrupted by passing ambulances and noisy scooters as usual, was woken up by a neighbour upstairs walking around in heels on a tile floor at 430am, was sqeezed like a sardine onto the Metro, and now Im in work again! (Ok, so Im taking a moment to write this ).

What a depressing 24 hours!

So Im going to add another recommendation. Its just for me but you can copy it if you like

..........."Enjoy the weekend!"
So what is a good 24 hours like for you?
tomc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 06:32 PM   #32
StinkyPete
Forero
 
StinkyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15
Default

Summit Winter Ale

and I recommend NOT learning calculus.

Qu rollo.

Last edited by StinkyPete; 10th December 2007 at 06:39 PM.
StinkyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:00 PM   #33
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

I wholeheartedly recommend 2 podcasts:This podcast by my friend Tom in Thailand. Totally relaxing

And one from NPR's Fresh air, an interview with a western lady who runs a soap-making cooperative in Afganistan: see how the coalition of good guys have really screwed up Afganistan...

Last edited by Ben; 12th December 2007 at 10:05 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 11:13 PM   #34
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I wholeheartedly recommend 2 podcasts:This podcast by my friend Tom in Thailand. Totally relaxing

And one from NPR's Fresh air, an interview with a western lady who runs a soap-making cooperative in Afganistan: see how the coalition of good guys have really screwed up Afganistan...
I haven't heard them yet but I listen to Terry Gross' Fresh Air quite a bit on NPR. I didn't know you listened to NPR that much.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 01:54 AM   #35
karena
Super Forero
 
karena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 210
Default

Book: Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Spain by Chris Stewart

I'm enjoying it thoroughly!

Karen
karena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 08:30 AM   #36
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I haven't heard them yet but I listen to Terry Gross' Fresh Air quite a bit on NPR. I didn't know you listened to NPR that much.
Once or twice a week on my walk around the park - love it!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 10:21 AM   #37
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karena View Post
Book: Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Spain by Chris Stewart

I'm enjoying it thoroughly!

Karen
I enjoyed this one more
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 11:00 AM   #38
Ben
Hero Forero
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I enjoyed this one more
Gracias
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 03:42 PM   #39
Palmerito
El Perro
 
Palmerito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia & Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I enjoyed this one more
Thanks for the remind, Gary. I have been intending to get it. I've just loaded on to my Sony e-reader and will read it this week while off from work.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 12:00 AM   #40
Andy.G.
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inglaterra
Posts: 156
Default

un libro As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee
Andy.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.