Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 5th December 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
88keys07
Alberto

Default "Close to" correct translation verification

Hi guys,

I'm a student currently working in an Ophthalmic practice and, as it were, yesterday I unofficially became the emergency interpreter for a man who had no interpreter scheduled. It was my first experience ever doing translation/interpretation, and I loved it despite my only have upper-intermediate skills.

Anyway, in order to build my ophthalmic vocabulary I began reading many of the pamphlets about different eye diseases and condition, and I'm beginning to wonder if they have been machine translated or not. If you're still reading, one phrase in particular surprised me: "... cerca a la córnea".

I would have translated this "cerca de". There were many places where I would have translated something differently, and it really made me call my Spanish into question. This happened to be the one that bothered me the most.

So which is it? "cerca a" or "cerca de"

Thanks
88keys07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys07 View Post

So which is it? "cerca a" or "cerca de"
You're correct . "Cerca de" is the right one. And you're probably right about who the original "translator" was. I wouldn't be surprised if that pamphlet was translated by one of those online automatic translators, like you said.

Congrats on being tapped to use your Spanish in the workplace. It's exciting, isn't it?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
88keys07
Alberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
You're correct . "Cerca de" is the right one. And you're probably right about who the original "translator" was. I wouldn't be surprised if that pamphlet was translated by one of those online automatic translators, like you said.

Congrats on being tapped to use your Spanish in the workplace. It's exciting, isn't it?
Thanks Beckett. I walked away from the experience so pleased with myself, and so happy that I was able to successfully translate the medical concerns of the doctor and patient and even help set up a laser treatment surgery!

I must say, my Spanish was horribly choppy at the beginning, especially because most medical words I know only in English, but once I finally became comfortable everything flowed smoothly and easily, and in the end came out great.

Those pamphlets must be machine translated. There were so many times that the grammar just didn't seem right, but I don't usually question something if a native is saying it. It's good to know not to trust their translation.
88keys07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys07 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a student currently working in an Ophthalmic practice and, as it were, yesterday I unofficially became the emergency interpreter for a man who had no interpreter scheduled. It was my first experience ever doing translation/interpretation, and I loved it despite my only have upper-intermediate skills.

Anyway, in order to build my ophthalmic vocabulary I began reading many of the pamphlets about different eye diseases and condition, and I'm beginning to wonder if they have been machine translated or not.
Thanks
Hola: the minute I read your post I thought of "DocMolly" another doctor (from Minnesota) who used to be very active in the forum and who, I believe, even published her own medical podcasts related to the use of Spanish in her practice......you could try sending her a PM...or go to ITunes where she publishes (published?) her podcasts. I do have her email address - if you PM me. Molly struck me as passionate and committed to improving/using her Spanish both generally and specifically in her Medical practice.
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Beckett
Mega Forero

Just to add to Margot's note, here's the iTunes URL for DocMolly's Medical Spanish podcast:

http://tinyurl.com/6zhytg

Also on iTunes, there's an audio book entitled "Spanish for Medical Receptionists," written by Stacey Kammerman. It's only $4.95.

Here's the link for it: http://tinyurl.com/57k5tl
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote