Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 10th May 2007, 02:54 AM   #1
Acosta
Mega Forero

Default Tea and Iced Coffee - Oddities in Spain

On my last trip to spain my wife and I had two funny minor experiences...

1. My wife is a tea drinker and not a coffee drinker. But ordering ¨Te con leche¨ will get one a coffee cup half full of milk and the standard metal thingie with the tea to steep in. Naturally this doesnt make for a good cup of tea. We attempted to order tea differently (aparte). My buddy from Madrid ended up saying well we don´t do tea so well over here. Ben....

2. One resturant had Cafe hielo (or was it con hielo) and when we got it, it was a highball style glass with ice and another one shot of expresso to pour over the ice. LOL

Not a big deal but just some of those funny things....
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 12:41 PM   #2
lenox
Forero Senior

The advertising is always fellows in tweedy outfits drinking some cup of 'surprisingly delicious' tea with a broad smile (or a slight wince if they've managed to get an English actor). The brand names are always reassuringly British, Hornimans and Lipton and Ship and so on. The tea is 'English Breakfast' or some-such. Horrible, tasteless and un-refreshing!
My mother used to say it was the sweeepings from the floor that ended up in the continental tea-bags.
You can buy Yorkshire tea or PG Tips and so on at the better food-stores, but putting two Liptons bags in a cup and waiting for ten minutes still isn't going to swing it.
Best stick to the 'Nestea'!
lenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Edith
Pangolin Forero

I never drink black tea because it upsets my stomach, so I don't miss it. I guess I would have a serious problem on my hands in Cuppa-land. The only stuff I drink is té de manzanilla, Chinese yasmin tea, green tea, linden tea or herbal teas like yerba maté from Argentina and rooibos from South Africa. Té de manzanilla (camomile tea) is very popular in Mexico but I have never seen it on Spanish menus. They're not much into herbal teas, anyway.

Last edited by Edith; 11th May 2007 at 01:36 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 06:11 PM   #4
imc
Super Forero

Las infusiones que suelen tener aquí en todos los bares y restaurantes son el té, la manzanilla y el poleo o poleo-menta, pero en las cartas normalmente sólo dicen "infusiones".
imc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Té de manzanilla (camomile tea) is very popular in Mexico but I have never seen it on Spanish menus. They're not much into herbal teas, anyway.
I think they seem to drink herbal teas (infusiones) quite a lot in Spain, especially manzanilla.

Edit. Looks like IMC just beat me to it!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
I think they seem to drink herbal teas (infusiones) quite a lot in Spain, especially manzanilla.

Edit. Looks like IMC just beat me to it!
You're right, I have seen té de manzanilla in Spanish supermarkets.
Old 11th May 2007, 09:05 PM   #7
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
You're right, I have seen té de manzanilla in Spanish supermarkets.
Personally, I prefer the other manzanilla!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyas View Post
Personally, I prefer the other manzanilla!
Hmmm, that doesn't look bad at all!
Old 12th May 2007, 11:14 AM   #9
greytop
Hero Forero

In general many cafes don't have a very comprehensive list of what is available but we've found that if you ask for something they go out of their way to provide it if they can (Marmite excepted maybe ).
A good reason to learn some basic Spanish before your holiday!!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 10:32 PM   #10
Sampson
soñar

Pregunta: que pasa con la leche en espana? My temporary Madre always left it out over night and it was still okay to drink. Do they only use condensed milk?
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 10:42 PM   #11
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Come to that; why do the Spanish boil the milk and not the water? You can buy good tea in Spain, but they don't know how to make it.

Point: at a recent Pueblo Inglés I asked for tea. She told me she didn't know how the English could drink such horrible stuff. Well, the coffee hot water machine was on the blink so she had the chef boil me some water and with boiled water I made it properly, leaving it a good two mins to brew, and then stayed her hand before she added a huge dollop of previously hot milk before I added just a dash of cold. I poured a little into a cup for her to try and that's when she admitted the Spanish didn't know how to make tea. She then made a cup for herself and it looked like she enjoyed it.

That's why we had an empire!!!!!
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 10:51 PM   #12
inmaculada
Forero

sorry, but i haven't understood that about the empire (sorry, my english sucks >.< i'm from valencia)
about cafe con hielo, we actually call it "cafe del tiempo" (weather's coffee??) too. It's just because if you are cafeine dependent or you're sleepy and need coffee in summer, it's not really nice to have a cup f hot coffee when it's 45º so, we add ice and it's quite good!!
and yeah! we don't know how to make tea, i love tea (i fell in love with it when i went to england and ireland) ad the strangest think i've ever had was, when i asket for te con leche, and they heated some milk and put insede the bag with tea. That's quite strange, isn't it?? r maybe i'm wrong...
inmaculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 12:04 AM   #13
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
In general many cafes don't have a very comprehensive list of what is available but we've found that if you ask for something they go out of their way to provide it if they can (Marmite excepted maybe ).
A good reason to learn some basic Spanish before your holiday!!
Well actually I do have a more than resonable command of basic spanish.

I spent my time thinking how to order a tea more to my wife´s liking and came up with

¨té con leche aparte¨ and that seemed to help out.

It´s just those cultural things that happen no complaints just an ¨opps oh yeah this is different, how do I do this one....¨

cheers

Joe
Old 19th May 2007, 12:05 AM   #14
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmaculada View Post
sorry, but i haven't understood that about the empire (sorry, my english sucks >.< i'm from valencia)
about cafe con hielo, we actually call it "cafe del tiempo" (weather's coffee??) too. It's just because if you are cafeine dependent or you're sleepy and need coffee in summer, it's not really nice to have a cup f hot coffee when it's 45º so, we add ice and it's quite good!!
and yeah! we don't know how to make tea, i love tea (i fell in love with it when i went to england and ireland) ad the strangest think i've ever had was, when i asket for te con leche, and they heated some milk and put insede the bag with tea. That's quite strange, isn't it?? r maybe i'm wrong...
Thanks !
Old 19th May 2007, 04:49 AM   #15
María Madrid
María Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
On my last trip to spain my wife and I had two funny minor experiences...

1. My wife is a tea drinker and not a coffee drinker. But ordering ¨Te con leche¨ will get one a coffee cup half full of milk and the standard metal thingie with the tea to steep in. Naturally this doesnt make for a good cup of tea. We attempted to order tea differently (aparte). My buddy from Madrid ended up saying well we don´t do tea so well over here. Ben....

2. One resturant had Cafe hielo (or was it con hielo) and when we got it, it was a highball style glass with ice and another one shot of expresso to pour over the ice. LOL

Not a big deal but just some of those funny things....
1. That is called "té americano". Té con leche should be tea with some milk...

2. The reason you get it like this is because sugar won't melt well if the coffee is cold, so you add the right amount of sugar you like in your coffee (we love sugar around here), stir until completely dissolved and only then you can pour it on the ice.
María Madrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 08:59 AM   #16
gtappend
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
In Bolivia they called it (or something very like it) "Cappuccino frío" - and very delicious it was too!
gtappend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 05:31 PM   #17
Acosta
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by María Madrid View Post
1. That is called "té americano". Té con leche should be tea with some milk...

2. The reason you get it like this is because sugar won't melt well if the coffee is cold, so you add the right amount of sugar you like in your coffee (we love sugar around here), stir until completely dissolved and only then you can pour it on the ice.

Thanks María

#2 Makes sense. Just one of those interesting things.

Hopefully next year I will be able to return to Spain again!

Last edited by Acosta; 22nd May 2007 at 09:50 PM.