Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Alan
El Listo ;)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 661
Default Train crash kills 34 in Valencia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5141542.stm
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
What a terrible tragedy!

The first thing which went through my mind was: are there any people here in this forum who live in Valencia?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Its awful - and the system is only 30 years old...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 12:07 AM   #4
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
What a terrible tragedy!

The first thing which went through my mind was: are there any people here in this forum who live in Valencia?
My mother-in-law and brother-and-law and his family live in Valencia. They were not near the crash today, thankfully.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
My mother-in-law and brother-and-law and his family live in Valencia. They were not near the crash today, thankfully.
Thank goodness!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 07:07 AM   #6
kyle
Forero
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 36
Default 41 up to now

I'm hearing in the radio right now there are 41 victims...
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 07:41 AM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,365
Default

Links to today's LasProvincias, Valencian based paper (Spanish)
http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/edicion/
http://especiales.lasprovincias.es/2...cia/index.html

34 dead, 47 injured of whom 12 still in hospital.
3 days of mourning declared
Initial blame put on speed and possible wheel failure.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 05:09 AM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,917
Default

I heard that the conductor ran the train at twice the speed than what either the train and/or the tracks were spec'd out for. Surviving passengers commented that the train's speed seemed unusually high. The speed was supposed to be at 40 KPH but he was clocked at 80. I don't know more particulars or if something critical was overlooked, to account for this travesty.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 05:18 AM   #9
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
I heard that the conductor ran the train at twice the speed than what either the train and/or the tracks were spec'd out for. Surviving passengers commented that the train's speed seemed unusually high. The speed was supposed to be at 40 KPH but he was clocked at 80. I don't know more particulars or if something critical was overlooked, to account for this travesty.
Radio Nacional de España was reporting this morning that they thought that the conductor had lost conciousness, perhaps fainted or a heart attack, right before the crash.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 11:53 AM   #10
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Radio Nacional de España was reporting this morning that they thought that the conductor had lost conciousness, perhaps fainted or a heart attack, right before the crash.
Las Provincias (links below) have had extensive cover over the last couple of days. This morning they report that the body of the driver was too badly damaged to ascertain whether or not he had some form of attack.
They say (from the black box recorder) that the brakes were applied manually 3 secs before the impact and then automatically when the first carriage derailed.
Even here, 100km south of Valencia city, people are saddened by this tragedy. There will be a special service for the relatives in Valencia´s chapel of la Virgen de Las Desamparados attended by the Pope at the weekend and he will also go to the station where the accident happened.

LA INVESTIGACION

Dos sistemas de freno se activaron antes del horror
Las lesiones del conductor impiden saber a los forenses si se desmayó
Los técnicos harán más pruebas al convoy
El maquinista iba a dejar el trabajo este mes tras aprobar una oposición
Accidente suburbano en Valencia (ESPECIAL)
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 02:51 PM   #11
intrepida1981
Forero Senior
 
intrepida1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Valencia
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
What a terrible tragedy!

The first thing which went through my mind was: are there any people here in this forum who live in Valencia?
Hi, I’m living actually near Jesús station, where the Pope stopped briefly today from his official visit to Valencia. Past Monday I was at my home, I was just preparing myself to go to an exam I had at 4 p.m. and I thought I just wanted to go to it by riding this train at Jesus station!! At around one p.m my father and me just heard a lot of alarm soundings by the firemen and ambulances, but we had the tv off so we thought that something could have happened. I turned on the tv and found a local tv and I just watched the news of the crash and I found myself It was supposed I had to ride this train at 3 p.m.!! Not this train exactly but yeah, at this station. So I was very nervous and frightened because not only about the exam but else because of this huge scare. Even some of my friends who knew I lived near there called me by phone, as well as some of our relatives and friends from around the country.
intrepida1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 03:02 PM   #12
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepida1981
Hi, I’m living actually near Jesús station, where the Pope stopped briefly today from his official visit to Valencia. Past Monday I was at my home, I was just preparing myself to go to an exam I had at 4 p.m. and I thought I just wanted to go to it by riding this train at Jesus station!! At around one p.m my father and me just heard a lot of alarm soundings by the firemen and ambulances, but we had the tv off so we thought that something could have happened. I turned on the tv and found a local tv and I just watched the news of the crash and I found myself It was supposed I had to ride this train at 3 p.m.!! Not this train exactly but yeah, at this station. So I was very nervous and frightened because not only about the exam but else because of this huge scare. Even some of my friends who knew I lived near there called me by phone, as well as some of our relatives and friends from around the country.
I'm very, very glad that you and your family are ok. Our thoughts continue to go out to those who were hurt, and to the families of those who passed away in the crash.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 03:23 PM   #13
intrepida1981
Forero Senior
 
intrepida1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Valencia
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I'm very, very glad that you and your family are ok. Our thoughts continue to go out to those who were hurt, and to the families of those who passed away in the crash.
Thank you, and ditto I say.

I also want to add that the train who crashed was of very poor quality, and here there are many people who are strongly angry with authorities, specially these days, when the city council prefer to squander our money celebrating the arrival of the Pope instead of repairing and maintenaing the trains, because they don’t have to ride them of course.

Always the same!!
intrepida1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepida1981
Thank you, and ditto I say.

I also want to add that the train who crashed was of very poor quality, and here there are many people who are strongly angry with authorities, specially these days, when the city council prefer to squander our money celebrating the arrival of the Pope instead of repairing and maintenaing the trains, because they don’t have to ride them of course.

Always the same!!
Ouch. Have they been able to tell anything about the driver's condition yet, whether he was conscious or not during the crash?

I also read this morning that the crash has spurred other investigations into Valencia's trains. One report tells that the line between Denia and Alicante lacks emergency brakes. Perhaps a little public outcry will force a little more responsibility in spending public funds.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 03:59 PM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepida1981
Thank you, and ditto I say.

I also want to add that the train who crashed was of very poor quality, and here there are many people who are strongly angry with authorities, specially these days, when the city council prefer to squander our money celebrating the arrival of the Pope instead of repairing and maintenaing the trains, because they don’t have to ride them of course.

Always the same!!
That's awful, intrepida. I hope it gets resolved. If you contact a diputado or some sort of legislator, you might add that as valencia nears the day where it is on the world's stage (Americas' Cup) a situation like this could have long term repercussions on Valencia as a potential business center to the world. The time to avoid a repeat of that catastrophe is now. Highlighting the travesty of the train crash might not be sufficient to attain resolution. Couching it in business terms seems to motivate politicians more.

Good luck

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 8th July 2006 at 04:33 PM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
Couching it in business terms seems to motivate politicians more.
As my wife says,

"Las cosas del Palacio van despacio."

It's very sad that a tragedy is what is required to bring attention to safety standards.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 04:22 PM   #17
intrepida1981
Forero Senior
 
intrepida1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Valencia
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
It's very sad that a tragedy is what is required to bring attention to safety standards.

I ripped out this from a post in another forum:

De todas formas lo peor es que el metro estaba de huelga porque se quejaban de falta de seguridad en los tuneles y en las octabillas que repartian literalmente pone "....... que hace falta un accidente para que nos escuchen..."

Last edited by intrepida1981; 8th July 2006 at 04:24 PM.
intrepida1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.