Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 8th August 2008, 11:49 PM   #21
Pepino
Soy La Leche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
Do you remember the last odd date we had? I do. It was 19 November 1999. And there was another just two days earlier. Trouble is, we're going to have to wait a very looooong time until the next one (402,642 days).
Maybe I'm being thick (and I've downed a bottle of wine so perhaps not at my most lucid) but I just don't get any of this

Someone put me out of my misery. No, please.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 03:31 AM   #22
Liam
Super Forero

Quote:
I did actually decide to buy a lottery ticket at 08h08m08s this morning (08/08/08).

I went to the location 88.88N 88.88W to increase my luck. Not a single shop selling lottery tickets in sight. How unlucky is that?
Ok, even though you were joking, I have wondered about people who buy lotto tickets using the numbers of their kids birthdays, or wedding anniversary, etc. Me parece que that would reduce your chances of winning. Because what are the chances that the winning numbers will also just happen to be numbers that are specific to your life? Or does it not make a difference? Whether it's 1 in 100 million, or 1 in 150 million, I guess I'll take the former.

I don't understand the Monty Hall Let's Make A Deal probability question either. But that's another story.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 11:53 AM   #23
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I have wondered about people who buy lotto tickets using the numbers of their kids birthdays, or wedding anniversary, etc. Me parece que that would reduce your chances of winning.
It wouldn't reduce your chances of winning, but it may reduce the amount of money that you win.
People choosing birthdays are choosing numbers to a maximum of 31 and if all the numbers ARE under 31 there is a greater chance that more people statistically could have won. An extreme example of this is people that have picked the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 on the basis that these numbers are as likely as any others. Well of course they are, but if several people are likely to have had he same idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I don't understand the Monty Hall Let's Make A Deal probability question either. But that's another story.
You are not the only one. When Marilyn vos Savant explained the solution in 'Parade' magazine (ask Marilyn column) she received numerous complaints from readers including university professors of mathematics stating that she WAS WRONG. Of course she was quite correct. A very counter-intuitive problem.

Last edited by tad; 9th August 2008 at 12:21 PM.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 08:22 PM   #24
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post

Someone put me out of my misery. No, please.
An "odd date" is one in which every digit of the date is an odd number. (So, 1 Jan 3111 is only valid if we disregard leading zeroes.) Now that we are in the third millennium, the initial 2 in the year rules out any odd dates for a while (there are plenty of even ones though).
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 08:30 PM   #25
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
A very counter-intuitive problem.
Damn that Bayes!
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 11:31 PM   #26
Pepino
Soy La Leche!