Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 12th March 2010, 12:14 PM   #161
thatguy71
Banned

Smile My Learning tools

Hola!

I use a course from home that i found after a time of searching. Gotta tell ya, there certainly is some rubbish out there though.
These guys give free lessons to wet your appetite.
Really enjoyed it.
Link at the bottom for everyone to get the free lessons
really for beginners but more advanced may like it too for new content

Pete
thatguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 04:42 AM   #162
beginspanishnow
BeginSpanishNow

I watch movies on my elliptical while working out, if the movie is in Spanish, great, I use the English subtitles to learn, and if the movies is in English, I used the Spanish subtitles to learn.
I constantly go back to visual link Spanish also verify certain things, I have books, dictionaries, you name it. I believe that the more tools you use the more you will learn
beginspanishnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 05:48 AM   #163
lrose44
Forero

Default blogs-exchange

Thanks for all the great tips. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the website www.blogs-exchange.com and if so, what you thought about it.

The idea is that you start a blog on this site in the language you're trying to learn. You can either get a language partner (a native speaker of the language you're learning) and commit to correcting each others posts or hope/expect that random people will correct your posts. I'm considering doing this because I think writing would be good practice for me.

Any thoughts on the site?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:27 AM   #164
LottaB
Forero

I use NiS podcasts, notes from the spanish class I took last year, children's books from the library, spanish music (Jorge Drexler (very easy to understand the lyrics!), Ojos de Brujo – thanks for the recommendations), spanish movies (El Crimen Ferpecto was hilarious – thanks to the one who recommended this one). And I'll buy El País today and read

At my library the Red Cross have a "language corner" two hours once a week where you can drop in and practice to talk spanish (it's conversation only and it's for free). I haven't been able to join yet.

I really appreciate this forum and all the helpful people!
LottaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 09:09 PM   #165
RojoSoulja
Forero

Espanol con Michel Thomas.
(Spanish with Michel Thomas)
RojoSoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 11:42 AM   #166
amanda99
Forero

I started studying for gcse spanish this year and i'm doing the exam next week. I also started having an hour lesson per week this year. I have listened to all the NIS beginners podcast and i am now working through the intermediate ones (with the worksheets which really help when I can't follow everything), and trying to learn the new vocab on the way.

I've found an intercambio but I feel I should have waited a bit longer before finding one as I don't think I'm ready yet.

I think if it hadn't been for the NIS pack then I'd probably either have given up by now or still be stuck at "My name is" and "I go on holiday in June". I'm quite happy that I can understand 80% of the intermediate podcasts after 4 months of learning but I obviously don't know how that compares to general speed.
amanda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 02:20 AM   #167
Uriel
Mega Forero

I took Spanish in high school, but that was 20 years ago, and let's face it: I was a teenager and not really paying much attention.

So, now that I have to really learn it (meaning more than just the present tense), I went and bought myself a workbook on Spanish tenses, I listen to podcasts, I get the word of the day in my email, I read the Mexican news online (I've learned all kinds of fun ways to say "kill" and "dead body" -- who knew there were so many?), and of course my semi-weekly "quiz" is muddling through an extemporaneous conversation with my non-English-speaking boyfriend. (I think you get a prize for being able to carry on a mostly intelligible phone conversation at 2 in the morning.)

I'm also lucky enough to live 45 minutes from the Mexican border, so everything from the electric bill to the local hardware store prints messages in both English and Spanish, and you can cheat off the signs over the aisles and posted on the doors. And let me just say, thank god for Spanglish.... and for the many, many bilingual people at work who humor me by teaching me words and phrases or letting me torture them with my bad Spanish.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:16 AM   #168
lovelydee
Forero

Talking

I've only recently started to learn Spanish. I am currently using live mocha as a way to expand my Spanish although I am already having Spanish classes. I am also planning to purchase a Spanish learning software although I'm not sure which one to get. Any advise anyone?
lovelydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 03:50 AM   #169
Uriel
Mega Forero

They say Rosetta Stone is the best, but you practically have to mortgage your house to pay for it. Or master the art of the bit torrent.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 02:08 PM   #170
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelydee View Post
I've only recently started to learn Spanish. I am currently using live mocha as a way to expand my Spanish although I am already having Spanish classes. I am also planning to purchase a Spanish learning software although I'm not sure which one to get. Any advise anyone?
Personally, I'm not a fan of formal Spanish learning software but I know that some people feel more comfortable using it, especially when they are just starting to learn the language. A product like Rosetta Stone can be expensive. You should check your local library first to see what they have available so that you can test it out for free and see if it fits your learning style.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 04:33 PM   #171
najacob
najacob

Default Learning Spanish

I also agree with Spanish with Michel Thomas. I used that for verb conjugation....you will learn all the tenses in an easy manageable way. I was surprised how quickly I picked them up, and that was while listening in the car distracted by other vehicles and daydreaming (and the books on tape weren't always easy to listen to.....they can get boring at times). Then I supplemented with other podcasts:

Notes in Spanish (for hearing the language its great)
Coffee Break Spanish/Showtime Spanish (supplements Michel Thomas with vocab (coffee break) and more spoken Spanish with showtime Spanish)
BBC daily new in Spanish Mundo

Then I tried to read as much as I can in Spanish, news, books, web sites etc.

Finally, I've gotten my hands on a Rosetta Stone Spanish program, and to be honest I've picked up some vocab, and I'm still only part of the way in, but I think I've learned more from my other sources, maybe if I would have started with Rosetta, I'd think of it differently, but I have not been that impressed.

NJ
najacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 08:51 AM   #172
roadways
¡Mojito!

Trying to avoid things already mentioned in this thread
Books:
Assimil - Spanish with ease
ALL of the Practice Makes Perfect series. Extremely cheap for the quality and quantity they all have.
The Ultimate Spanish Verb Review and Practice
The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice, both published by McGraw Hill
Teach Yourself publishers Complete Spanish and Perfect Your Spanish.

Podcasts :
Obviously NIS and the ones currently being done in the travel section on the Independent (UK) newspaper website

Other Internet resources:
Loads mentioned in this thread already, and some which I haven't seen mentioned:
es.euronews.net/ News stories with short video clips and text.
veintemundos.com/en/ on line magazine that has a narrative that follows the text.
esfacil.eu/ really good site for practicing verb conjugation.
aprenderespanol.org/ Lots of links to exercises, conjugation, grammar and vocab.
roadways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 02:37 PM   #173
Drummer
Forero

I have just started using the Rosetta Stone program, so still too early to tell if it will be effective or not. I am hoping though!!!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 07:32 PM   #174
Drummer
Forero

I also have just downloaded the Michel Thomas series of CD's...so between the 2 surely even a thick head like me can pick something up!!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 04:22 PM   #175
LindaM
Forero

Default Listening to podcasts

I have a Spanish lesson once a week and listen to Notes in Spanish podcasts. I'm currently listening to an RTVE documentary podcast, but it's hard going. The Spanish isn't so difficult to understand when the presenters are speaking, but the subjects are and so are some of the sound bites. Think I need something a bit less challenging!!
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 11:49 PM   #176
WanderlustWhispers
Novato

• I began with Pimsleur and I'm on Lesson 27 out of 30.
  • Teach Yourself Latin American Spanish
  • Berlitz vocabulary CD
  • Spanish vocabulary flash cards
  • I plan on ordering Assimil Spanish with Ease very soon
  • I watch shows and videos in Spanish. I watch Spanish movies with English subtitles but will soon switch to the Spanish subtitles or none at all
  • I listen to NIS podcasts
  • I practice in the Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Grammar book
I've been studying since late May and hope to increase my study time to hopefully reach high intermediate by January 1st.
WanderlustWhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 02:47 PM   #177
Juan Carlos
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyayers View Post
But she has a point! :-) Many people speak a language beautifully without having any clue about grammar. I'm finding that the more Spanish I read and listen to, the more I'm actually able to come up with proper grammar just because it sounds right. I suspect this is a much faster way to learn than learning grammar! :-)

Patty
I agree with you.

Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 08:42 AM   #178
bertopola
Forero

Default The Internet

I think the best way to learn spanish is Internet.
bertopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 08:03 PM   #179
mariahpc02
Novato

Default rosetta stone

i studied spanish through few tutorial cds.But i am impressed with the software called rosetta stone software.i also use the same software to learn french

Last edited by mariahpc02; 26th September 2010 at 11:36 AM.
mariahpc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 06:34 PM   #180
AlexeiS
Novato

Default Desperately waiting for effortless spanish from Maria and Ben

Hola a tod@s!

Soy ruso y queria aprender el idioma para mi kitesurf viajes a Tarifa en el ano que viene. Me gusta todo lo que Ben y Maria ya han hecho para los inspired iniciantes como yo. Pero hay una cosa que me falta mucho. Es que ya comprendo bastante pero digo mas peor porque no tengo ningun practica (y no digan por favor de posibilidades enormes con skype, intercambio y otros) Por eso queria preguntar Ben y Maria si podrian preparar los ejercisios que desarollan el habito de hablar. Por ejemplo de manera que AJ Hodge ha hecho en su "effortless english" Me parece que la pareja podria hacerlo estupendo! Para mi no qieria ser como perro que "sabe todo pero no puede decir nunca" (es como decimos en ruso =))

Salud a tod@s!
AlexeiS is offline   Reply With Quote