Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > Cuisine from Spain Podcast Comments

Notices

Old 19th December 2009, 06:47 PM   #1
La Rubia
Españolita y arriquitraun

Default Garbanzos con chorizo (Chickpeas with Chorizo)

De nuevo planteo la receta un poco más light de lo habitual. (Greytop no te olvides de revisármela que últimamente me tienes abandonaíta )

Ingredientes:
1/2 kg de garbanzos (que ponemos en remojo la noche antes a cocinarlos)
1 cebolla
1 tomate
1 chorizo no picante
1 brick de tomate frito
aceite de oliva, sal, vino blanco, agua, laurel,

* Ponemos en la olla rápida un fondo de aceite de oliva y cuando esté caliente echamos la cebolla cortada, unos minutos después el tomate cortado en trozos también
* Cuando hayan pasado unos minutos, yo lo trituro para que los niños no se encuentren los trocitos. Ahora añado el chorizo cortado a rodajas.
* Movemos un poco y añadimos los garbanzos sin el agua en el que estuvieron a remojo. Añadimos ahora el tomate frito.
* Movemos y añadimos el laurel, la sal y medio vaso de vino blanco, añadiendo agua justo hasta que se cubran los garbanzos.
* Cuando comience a hervir cerramos la olla y la dejamos a fuego medio unos 12 minutos.

Again I raise the recipe a little more light than usual.

Ingredients:
1/2 kg of chickpeas (we put in to soak overnight before cooking)
1 onion
1 tomato
1 non-spicy sausage
1 Brick of tomato sauce
olive oil, salt , white wine, water, bay leaf

* We put in a fund quick pot of olive oil and hot when we take the chopped onion, a few minutes later chopped tomatoes.
* When they have also spent a few minutes, I beat it with the mixer so that children won´t find the pieces. Now add the sausage cut into slices.
* We move a little and add the beans without the water in which they were soaked. Now add the tomato sauce.
* We move and add the bay leaf, salt and half a glass of white wine, adding water until it just covers the chickpeas.
* When it begins to boil, we close the pot and let it over medium heat about 12 minutes.

La Rubia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
gary
Samuri Forero

I have eaten this dish many times - as you can tell from my waistline - must be the most calorie load you can get without actually eating lard sprinkled with sugar

Tastes wonderful (the chickpeas n chorizo not the lard n sugar)
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 07:11 PM   #3
La Rubia

Gary, I tried to make them this time as lighter as possible (they don´t contain blood sausage and bacon, less olive oil than usually and... we try not to eat them with a tremenda barra de pan!)
Old 19th December 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Petrichor
Super Forero

@La Rubia:

Thanks for the recipe.

1. What exactly is a brick of 'tomate frito'? (fried tomatoes?) You have translated it as tomato sauce. Do you mean 'tomato puree'? And what is the purpose of adding a chopped tomato as well?

2. What is the meaning of 'un fondo de aceite de oliva'? Does it mean 'foundation' or 'base'?

3. White wine is never used in Indian cooking, but I know it's qute common in European cuisines. In what way does it alter the taste of the dish? I might try your recipe some day.

Thanks for writing the recipe in spanish; it's a good way of learning one's spanish and cooking at the same time.

PD: What do you usually eat along with this dish? I love it with rice.
Petrichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
@La Rubia:

Thanks for the recipe.

1. What exactly is a brick of 'tomate frito'? (fried tomatoes?) You have translated it as tomato sauce. Do you mean 'tomato puree'? And what is the purpose of adding a chopped tomato as well?

2. What is the meaning of 'un fondo de aceite de oliva'? Does it mean 'foundation' or 'base'?

3. White wine is never used in Indian cooking, but I know it's qute common in European cuisines. In what way does it alter the taste of the dish? I might try your recipe some day.

Thanks for writing the recipe in spanish; it's a good way of learning one's spanish and cooking at the same time.

PD: What do you usually eat along with this dish? I love it with rice.
I hope that La Rubia doesn't mind me answering this:

1.-Tomato puree is not used in Spain as much as it is used in England, for example. Tomato sauce is better for this recipe, in Spain it comes in little cartons or "bricks" or in tins, and they call it "tomato frito". I presume that the purpose of using chopped tomatoes is to help the flavour as well as to thicken the sauce a bit, together with the onions.

I usually make tomato frito and freeze it, with onions, garlic, tomatoes and red peppers all fried with as little oil as possible and then use the blender. the tomato sauce ready made helps the speed of cooking, of course.

3.-I am not sure about La Rubia, but I use a lot of white wine in cooking, particularly meat stews. In some ways strengthens the flavour of the dish.

2.-Un fondo de aceite means pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.

We do not eat anything with this, it is what we call a first course and it is eaten just like that.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Pippa; 19th December 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
La Rubia

1.- Petrichor: yes, a "brick of tomato" is fried tomatoes, that is for the sauce. But the chopped tomato is with the onion, for the "sofrito".

2.- "Un fondo de aceite de oliva" is to put oil in the pot just to cover the bottom.

3.- The white wine, very used in Spain, gives to the cook a taste more intense, but as you said: you should try one day, it´s dificult to explain.

I eat this dish along nothing else but bread, it´s a complete and heavy dish. Nice to see you enjoyed my recipe!

Last edited by La Rubia; 19th December 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:03 PM   #7
La Rubia

Pippa: compenetración totalllll!!!!!!!!
And yes, of course I use almost every day el vino blanco estupendo de la muerte.

(Next thursday: Paté de cabracho)
Old 19th December 2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Pippa
GigaForero

I also like cooking very much!
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:36 PM   #9
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rubia View Post

Gary, I tried to make them this time as lighter as possible (they don´t contain blood sausage and bacon, less olive oil than usually and... we try not to eat them with a tremenda barra de pan!)

Yes - but even the chickpeas are packed with Kcals - theres no escape !!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote